Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vannj
Paper Tape
Views: 27,641
Message 1 of 75

Yoga 2 Pro - tiny fonts in some applications

With the high resolution of the Yoga 2 some applications (often dialog boxes) have such tiny fonts in menu bar and sidebars that they are very difficult to see. Adjusting resolution and other font setting doesn't often help much - only the programs not needed to. Specifically Photoshop is one - and apparently this is a known issue with no real workaround. Quicken not only has tiny fonts in account list and register (it is possible to adjust this) but it appears to "squash" the text in places so that one line overrides the other. Also, a duplicate menu bar is partially visible under the top one. Any suggestions to overcome these limitations would be welcome.

mbordofsky
What's DOS?
Views: 27,430
Message 2 of 75

Re: Yoga 2 Pro - tiny fonts in some applications

I am having similar problems with tiny text and menus in some applications. Can lower the resolution and get bigger text, but then why did I pay for this high resolution screen?  Three calls to Lenovo support couldn't fix this.

Zoot
Token Ring
Views: 27,402
Message 3 of 75

Microsoft has supported resolution scaling for many years (though only up to 150% rather than Windows 8.1's 200+%) and this requires that application developers actually code their apps to respect the scaling and properly render their apps in this environment.

When applicaitons behave badly (not using the proper APIs for font rendering, rendering to bitmaps where the API doesn't know it's destined to eventually be presented on the screen, and failing to make their applicaiton layouts adjust to the larger fonts and stuff, then there's nothing that Microsoft or Lenovo can do about that.

So unfortunately there are a lot of (even major) apps like that out there, and your choices are to either run at a lower screen resolution, use the accessibility features of WIndows (screen magnifier etc.) when needed, or to complain to each application developer about the issue and try to get them to resolve it (probably means upgrating to the nerest version in many cases).

These new high-res screens are obviously becoming more common, so applicaiton developers are going to be forced to actually get their act together and support UI scaling properly. Unfortunately it's still early in that process and it's not a trivial thing to fix in many cases, so being an early adopter of ludicrous-resolution devices will probably remain painful for another year or so.

Z.

arcataroger
Punch Card
Views: 27,270
Message 4 of 75

Adobe has no timeline for a fix, either, so don't hold your breath:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/5793832

They blame Microsoft, Microsoft blames app developers, Lenovo blames both of them, and it's really just a crapshoot as to who will get around to fixing it, if ever. I will probably be returning the Yoga 2 Pro because of this.

For what it's worth, the Surface Pro 2 offers similar features for a slightly higher price with about a 25% lower PPI, which makes it somewhat more usable. The icons in Photoshop at least are identifiable, which isn't the case with the Y2P.

There are also other Haswell 1080p 13.3" touch ultrabooks out there like the Acer S7-392, so if the multimode thing isn't that important to you, consider swapping to one of those instead and everything will be about twice as big, even without scaling.
vannj
Paper Tape
Views: 27,263
Message 5 of 75

Thanks for the replies - clarifies the issue somewhat. It would perhaps be helpful if reducing the screen resolution temporarily would make things readable in Photoshop but it doesn't seem to help at all. Most other applications work perfectly well and I do like the multimode function so will stick with Yoga at this point. 

Learoy1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 27,175
Message 6 of 75

Hi, I'd appreciate if anyone could please post some screenshots of their destop and a few apps to show the extent of the problem for potential buyers like myself.

flowerdealer
HDMI
Views: 27,153
Message 7 of 75

Even 'metro' apps are pretty broken with the default resolution (or in the case of 3d games, unplayable). High dpi support in Windows 8.1 is a joke, and to be honest, even though I love the screen in the Yoga, the extra resolution goes to waste as not even windows supports it properly, much less third party applications. I have decided to just use it at a lower res.

Spineless
Paper Tape
Views: 27,090
Message 8 of 75

What metro apps are you having issues with? Metro apps, be default, are unaffected by dpi. Meaning that they render to the same visual size regardless of the resolution or dpi.
flowerdealer
HDMI
Views: 27,078
Message 9 of 75

A lot of them, like the Engadget app don't render properly. Most just have tiny fonts that are difficult to read, and no way to scale them (examples, reddit to go, wikipedia, etc.). I have default to 2048x1152 and generally everything just works better. It is shame about this screen. It is really just meant as a marketing ploy to sell machines, it is gorgeous but Windows doesn't really support it properly. Maybe in a year's time, one can only hope.  

Spineless
Paper Tape
Views: 27,056
Message 10 of 75

What do you have the monitor dpi set to when you have these issues?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors