Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Views: 2304
  • Message 1 of 55

Yoga 2 Pro vs Dell XPS 11

2013-11-18, 19:18 PM

From what I can tell in the current marketplace, these two tablets are at the top of the heap and the only true competition for each other.

The Yoga 2 Pro and Dell XPS 11 each exceed the other in numerous metrics.

Here is a quick comparison:

1) Price - Yoga 2 Pro gives you an i5 with 128 gb SSD for $999.  The XPS gives you only an i3 with an 80 gb SSD for that price.

2) Ports - XPS 11 wins this one with 2 USB 3.0 ports vs the Y2P 1 USB 3.2 andd 1 USB 2.0.

3) Screen - Y2P offers more real estate and higher PPI by 20 points than XPS 11.

4) Portability - XPS 11 is thinner, has a smaller footprint and is 1/2 pound lighter.

5) Keyboard - Y2P offers an excellent real keyboard.  XPS offers a weird kind of flat, non-depressable surface that offers haptic feedback but apparently is hard to type fast on, especially if you have fingernails.

6) Active Digitizer - Easy win for XPS 11 here.  Big fumble by Y2P.

7) Best for Business - Depends.  Bigger better screen and better keyboard vs thinner, lighter, smaller footprint and a pen.  Some Legacy programs such as Access with forms designed for desktops may be a bit small on the XPS.

8) Best Desktop Replacement - Have to give this to the Y2P based upon the larger screen.

9) Wifi - This one goes to the XPS11 as it offers dual channel AC.

So it's a tough call.  What do you guys think?  IMHO if the Y2P had included an active digiitizer this would have been a no-contest win for the Y2P.

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 2 of 55

Re: Yoga 2 Pro vs Dell XPS 11

2013-11-18, 19:55 PM

Despite my unhappiness about the missing digitizer, I feel like I chose the Y2P over the XPS 11 because this could be a desktop replacement while the XPS 11 would be more of a desktop accessory.

Options

35 Posts

11-08-2013

united kingdom

65 Signins

427 Page Views

• Views: 427
  • Message 3 of 55

2013-11-19, 1:15 AM
Strange how Lenovo managed to future proof every aspect of the y2p except the digitizer. But I would still buy y2p for its larger screen compared to xps 11 and keyboard.
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 4 of 55

2013-11-19, 1:28 AM

Yeah I am just concerned that 11.6" might be a little small for an all day machine.

Options

7 Posts

11-19-2013

Kirkland

21 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 5 of 55

2013-11-19, 5:16 AM
To do a proper comparison, items that are purely personal preference pieces (size of display, keyboard style etc) should be left out. When this is done, it really is a no brainer. The XPS 11 is hands down the superior machine. This is not to say that one machine will be more compatible or a better match for a particular person based on those personal preference items or perceptions of them. Everyone has a different liking as to what is an ideal display size or keyboard style for them. That is also why many people use a docking station setup so they can use full size keyboards and large 27" screens while working in the office for 8 plus hours. Price difference between the 2 machines is not siginificant and not a consideration if the superior XPS 11 machine has additional value that justifies it to the owner That said, there are other significant core advantages associated with the XPS 11 not mentioned. The XPS 11 uses state of the art NBT Corning Gorilla glass. If you read up on what that means you will see why that is hugh and also why there is additional cost to manufacture with it. The Y2P uses the "U" series processor and not the lower voltage "Y" series used by the XPS 11. The "Y" series is better suited to small form factor ultrabooks and power efficiency. The XPS 11 has a higher display NITS rating of 400. This is at the top of its class and is extremely important for those that may use them in an outdoor mobile activity. The XPS 11 is constructed of carbon fiber and not of the cheaper and much weaker external plastic construction of the Y2P. At 11.6" and 2.5 pounds, the XPS 11 is closer to a comfortable large tablet usage size than a 13" and half pound heavier Y2P. Given the wireless AC standard, it is becoming poor corporate judgement to release a new ultrabook that does not support it. For Lenovo to release an ultrabook that does not support dual band wireless when dual band access points have been in homes for years is completely unacceptable. Same goes with no pen support when the machine is a convertible hybrid. The XPS 11 material comprising the flat keyboard suface grips better when face down than hard plastic buttons. The closer you look at the engineering, design considerations, materials used, the more it becomes clear as to which platform is better built and thought through. Dell has had the luxury of analyzing Lenovo's Yoga build history and has done an incredible job addressing the serious short comings in the Yoga series. That is a significant achievement since the Yoga is still a very good overall machine.
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 6 of 55

2013-11-19, 5:50 AM

All good points except that you dismiss out of hand from the beginning the Y2P's greatest advantages, a larger screen and better keyboard.  There is a vast difference in usability between the 2.  I hope for the sake of the XPS 11 that the stylus works better than with the Venue Series.  It has had very negative feedback.

I have read that the XPS keyboard has some small amount of travel, but have not confirmed this.  One of the problems with buying a new Dell release is you cannot go into Bestbuy and try one before buying.

I purchased the Surface Pro for the stylus then found I rarely used it.  Typing is just so much more efficient.

It's a tough call.

Options

35 Posts

11-08-2013

united kingdom

65 Signins

427 Page Views

• Views: 427
  • Message 7 of 55

2013-11-19, 9:38 AM

All comparison aside there will always always be a "bigger and badder fish" out there. In this market every company is rolling out a new laptop version every 2-3 months.

Xps 11 might hit the spot for a lot of techies (I was practically drooling at the specs) but At the same infamous 1000 $ Mark you get i3 on the xps 11 with 1.5ghz while you get i5 with 1.6ghz on y2p. Not to mention the resolution.

Don'tknow about dell but Lenovo has had pretty quick response time to customer queries about its y2p and that wasn't even its flagship model! 

Graphic card on xps is Intel hd 4200 while on y2p is 4400.ssd on xps is 80 gb ..y2p is 128gb. 

It's all down to the user. Just know your priorities (and pocket! ) and do your homework. 

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 8 of 55

2013-11-19, 19:10 PM

If the stylus they will be employing with the XPS 11 is the same as the Venue Pro 8 this is quite discouraging. Despite a new firmware fix, word is that stylus is a complete disaster with hover issues, phantom clicks and script tails when writing.

It is not just that this would make the stylus useless but it gives me pause as to Dell build quality in general.  I mean if you can't get a simple stylus right, what does that say about your abílity to build an entire hybrid?

Seems I am better off sticking with the Y2P and waiting for Adonit or someone else to make a Script style bluetooh stylus that works with Windows tablets.  It seems these are all being created to work with iOS and ignoring OneNote in Windows completely.  I have the sense that within 6 months active digitizer styluses will be unnecessary anyway and bluetooth universal solutions will be available.

Options

7 Posts

11-19-2013

Kirkland

21 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 9 of 55

2013-11-20, 3:56 AM
A larger screen and different keyboard are neither better or worse. They are both personal preference items. For example, the 13" size screen of the Y2P is too big for me to be an appropriately sized tablet form factor. It is just too big and heavy for tablet usage. It is a negative. Thousands of others have shared this view about that size since day one. I much prefer a flat style keyboard over the traditional for the purposes of reducing weight/size in a 360 compact hybrid machine. This in fact was one of the many consistent complaints from customers that bought a Yoga. Hence this is why Dell changed this overwhelmingly reported negative component for a 360 hinge design convertible. It did not make for an adequate design for both an untrabook and a tablet with a back side of traditional tactile buttons. Of course, for many this could be good or bad design depending upon how much typing you do, how you use your machine and how the feel is perceived by the individual. Once again, personal preference. Going by the actual build quality, materials used in construction, current tech specs of components, there is little comparison. Regarding the stylus, remember that these are new upcoming ultrabooks with lots of moving parts and technologies involved. Lenovo didn't even attempt to achieve a stylus. We will see 3rd parties develop products in the segment in the coming year anyway. I bought an XPS 11s a couple months ago and returned it after a week due to the less than up to date technologies, poor screen brightness, and a clear build pattern of not using not up to par components. The price point is lower on the Yoga series but so is the quality of the product you are buying.
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 10 of 55

2013-11-20, 6:23 AM

I completely disagree that the quality of the Y2P is less than the XPS 11.  I see no evidence of that at all, and the Y2P is hundreds less for similar specs.  The shell of the XPS may be carbon fiber, but there is nothing even remotely cheap feeling about the shell of the Y2P.  The flat keyboard is hard to make a call on.  Depends on how well the haptic feedback works, but reviewers that have used it thus far who are looking for a "typist's machine" have been nonplused.  If you have nails at all, forget about it.  They also say that there is a problem with missed keystrokes unless you hit the key firmly and just right.

In my mind it comes down to this: If you are looking for a tablet that can be a laptop, get the XPS11, if you are looking for a laptop that can be a tablet, get the Y2P.  I find the Y2P to be quite comfortable in tablet mode while I can look at it all day in laptop mode and feel quite comfortable.  Looking at an 11.6" screen all day?  Nah, don't think I would care for that.

And you are right, stylus technology is catching up to the point active digitizers will be unnecessary soon.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms