Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Views: 2304
  • Message 21 of 55

Re: Yoga 2 Pro vs Dell XPS 11

2013-12-09, 1:01 AM

But if you go to the Dell Stylus page it says, "works with the XPS 11", so who knows?

Options

7 Posts

11-19-2013

Kirkland

21 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 22 of 55

2013-12-09, 3:07 AM

Just wanted to post a status update on the XPS11. I received mine. I have been using it for a couple days now. Regarding the keyboard, the original discussions or reviews suggested that the keyboard would have adustable haptic feedback. It does not, so Dell made the decision for whatever reason to drop that feaure.  That is too bad. However, the keyboard can be adjusted in sensitivity which is very beneficial. You also have adjustable audio noise on key press which is a good thing especially in the absence of haptic feedback. The reviewers also noted that it appears there is some slight give to the keys in the order of .55 millimeter or so (at least one review I read). That is false and is not the case in the production release.  I find that adjusting the keyboard to the most sensitive setting is a very good place to have it. This results in no missed presses from differential key press pressure which will vary some depending upon everyone's finger typing pressure variability. The key board overall takes some getting used to. It is MUCH better than the Surface Keyboards I have typed on without a doubt. The nice thing is that it only takes a day or two of typing to be much more proficient on it. A real plus of the keyboard is that you can go completely silent on the keyboard with the audio feedback turned off. This is really nice in noise sensitive settings. With a traditional keyboard you always have that annoying clackity clack to a lesser or greater extent depening upon the keyboard design. The keys feel very soft and are easy on the finger tips. The silicon based coating of the key surface was a great call in design. In summary, the only suggested improvements in terms of keyboard design on the XPS 11 are really to included the initial items mentioned in the prototype reviews. Those are haptic feedback, very slight give or travel to the keys. I will post more information and feedback on the rest of the system soon. I just wanted to confirm what some were wondering about regarding the keyboard design and operation.

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 23 of 55

2013-12-09, 7:30 AM

Thanks for this.  Hmmm, sad to see they left out the haptic feedback.  Typing silently can be a plus however doing so with no haptic feedback either would be disconcerting.

Big question, does it have active digitizer support as promised?  There has been a lot of negative press about the Dell Pen.  How well does it work if it works at all?

Thanks in advance.

Options

1459 Posts

06-08-2013

Spain

2005 Signins

20083 Page Views

• Views: 20083
  • Message 24 of 55

2013-12-09, 7:43 AM
I would go with the Yoga 2 Pro. The Yoga 2 Pro is more flexible than the XPS 11.

Have you actually considered the ThinkPad Yoga? The ThinkPad Yoga might be what you are looking for. The Yoga 2 Pro has a high resolution display yes. But I think the ThinkPad Yoga is something for you if you want a digitizer screen.

Kind regards,

Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider, Windows Insider MVP

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Looking to buy a Lenovo machine? Find your country

Belgium | Canada | Finland | France | Germany | Netherlands | Sweden | U.K. | U.S.A.

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 25 of 55

2013-12-09, 8:01 AM

Lol, oops, accidentally accepted last response as solution.  Oh well.  

ADMIN EDIT - Unmarked the solution since this is a discussion rather than a "problem" to be solved.

Anyway, depending upon the digitizer, it can create something of a screen door effect on the screen.  You see this on the Viao Flip.  Kind of like an antiglare screen protector.

What we really need is a decent bluetooth stylus with palm rejection for Windows tablets.  Every **bleep** thing is made for iPads.  Or maybe MS could program a palm rest dead spot into OneNote (still hard to believe that doesn't already exist - but then again, MS always misses the OBVIOUS stuff).

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 26 of 55

2013-12-09, 12:37 PM

One thing to keep in mīnd if silent typing is your goal.  Just turn off the sound and use the onscreen keyboard.

In my instance, handwriting should be avoided at all causes because my handwriting is just so bad and I cant reliably search on it or translate it into text later.  The only time handwriting would be a big plus is if you are walking, drawing, taking signatures or writing out math equations.

Also in general I can actually type far faster than I can write.  For any small sketching I need to do or drawing diagrams a normal stylus will suffice.

Options

7 Posts

11-19-2013

Kirkland

21 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 27 of 55

2013-12-09, 23:57 PM

Mitchellvii-

I did not get a digitizer as I have no interest or need for one with any system I own. It is my understanding that the same Dell stylus works for both the XPS 11 and Venue 11 Pro. 

There are many random issues I have experienced that I believe are firmware and/or software driver related. When the machine goes to sleep, it will not wake up and need to be hard reset. This unfortunately happens a majority of the time and is a real issue. On a couple occasions, the battery drained from 60 or 70% to completely dead over night. The machine did not go to sleep. There are issues obviously with power management and resume/sleep.

With the display brightness turned all the way up in all of its 400 NIT glory, battery life is approximately 5 and a half hours with moderate web browsing. I am sure that in order to achieve anything close to the reported 8 hours and 58 minutes of approximate battery time, the brightness would have to be turned down to 150 NITS or so (as per the reported battery run down test used). The display quality is EXCEPTIONAL as it should be. That said, I am absolutely convinced that anything over full 1080 HD is a complete  and total waste of resolution on machines with 11 to 13 inch displays. The IPS panel display angles, brightness, color and contrast are important but the 2500 and 3200 resolution number are actually a detractor on small display systems.  Going above 1080 on these small screens just requires aggressive OS level scaling, negative performance consideration, increased power and higher machine cost.

The build quality is top notch and is significantly better than any Yoga out there. Despite its thinner and lighter chassis, it is more rigid and feels more solid than the Yoga machines. That is expected given the focus of the XPS line and materials used. However, the XPS 11 needs to take another tip from the Yoga and adjust the tightness of the hinges a bit more. The Dell and Yoga hinges are very durable but the hinge resistance setting of the Yoga is much better. The Dell display is a bit too loose and yields excessive movement on screen touch.

While the touch pad overall is very good, I have noticed one anomoly in the lower right hand corner. Many times a right click was not registered until pushed a second time. It happens quite a bit. On one occasion, the letter "R" stopped working. After about 15 firm hard key presses it did start working and has not happened since.

Final verdict. Given the above considerations, there are a few too many downsides for me to warrant keeping this machine which is a bummer because there is a lot to like about it. I am sure a firmware update and system driver updates will fix the majority of the issues I have described but it should not have been released in this state. This is especially the case given its cost and prototype release many months ago. Hopefully the Dell Venue 11 Pro I6 4300Y/8 GB Ram/256 SSD system with mobile keyboard and dock will fare better. That won't arrive until early January.

I have had a shift in opinion on convertible design somewhat. I believe that fixed keyboards with 360 hinges may not be ideal long term designs compared with removeable keyboard ultrabooks. A fixed 360 keyboard always results in significant compromises on tablet usage vs laptop usage.

Options

6 Posts

10-30-2013

United States

28 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 28 of 55

2013-12-10, 15:28 PM

I am wondering if DELL's XPS 11 violates the patent of Lenovo. I believe Lenovo must have filed patent on yoga style concept.  

Options

1459 Posts

06-08-2013

Spain

2005 Signins

20083 Page Views

• Views: 20083
  • Message 29 of 55

2013-12-10, 18:38 PM
Only the hinges are patented I believe, not the concept.

The Dell XPS 11 is very ugly if you ask me. The design of the Yoga 2 Pro is much better overall. Personally I think the user experience will be better on the Yoga 2 Pro. I heared the XPS 11 has a lot of issues as well.

Kind regards,

Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider, Windows Insider MVP

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Looking to buy a Lenovo machine? Find your country

Belgium | Canada | Finland | France | Germany | Netherlands | Sweden | U.K. | U.S.A.

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Message 30 of 55

2013-12-10, 19:10 PM

Hard to imagine a dramatically better build quality than the Yoga 2 Pro.  For me anyway, the build quality is pretty much perfect.  I am still in awe that I bought this i5 128 for only $899 USD on sale at BestBuy.  I mean, my god, the same specs on an XPS 11 would cost $1350, that's almost $500 more for the same machine with a smaller screen!

Also, when it comes to business apps, there is no replacement for sheer real estate.  To me, 13.3 inches is the perfect compromise between portability and screen space.

Disappointing to hear about the bugginess of the XPS11.  Seems like these companies just can't get their QC together on new releases.  Sigh, if only the Y2P had included a digitizer (although I would have limited use for one) it would have been the perfect hybrid.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms