Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

10-26-2013

seattle wa

10 Signins

250 Page Views

• Views: 250
  • Message 11 of 61

Re: Yoga 2 Pro won't display on External Screen (thru micro HDMI)

2013-11-05, 23:06 PM

Below is a response/confirmation/solution by lootzius.  This is a hack (granted it seems to work well and is very clever and easy) and I am still looking to Lenovo for a design change/fix.

Chad 

Yoga 2 Pro micro-HDMi issue SOLVED

I have had my Yoga 2 Pro for about a week now. Slowly adapting to the ins and outs of the device. Just recently acquired a micro-HDMi toHDMi adapter to connect the Yoga 2 to my TV. Needless to say I was a bit dismayed when I noticed that the adapter worked, but only if I tugged on the connection (towards the front of the machine). When I let go, the screen would disconnect and I would have no picture. This angered me a bit. I read a bit about others having the same issues.

I slept on the issue one night and then in the morning I decided to take matters into my own hands. Grabbed a nail file I had laying around and shaved off about a nail file's width off of the end of the micro-HDMi connector. I could barely see any difference in the cable connector. Then I tried plugging it in and voila. No issues whatsoever. Tried angling the connector towards the back, down, up, front. No interruptions...

I know it is a bit frustrating, but I like the rubbery feel of the Yoga 2 body and was willing to do a bit of DIY to make this work. Took about 5 minutes in total. Now am happy again...

Give this a try if you have a problem with the connection.

Just thought I'd share...

lootzius

Options

2 Posts

11-20-2013

Omro WI

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 12 of 61

2013-11-21, 0:06 AM

Thanks for the information.  Really sucks that Lenovo has such a problem with a new computer and no fixes.

Options

24 Posts

11-14-2013

Australia

89 Signins

511 Page Views

• Views: 511
  • Message 13 of 61

2013-11-24, 4:29 AM

wrote:

Below is a response/confirmation/solution by lootzius.  This is a hack (granted it seems to work well and is very clever and easy) and I am still looking to Lenovo for a design change/fix.

Chad 

Yoga 2 Pro micro-HDMi issue SOLVED

I have had my Yoga 2 Pro for about a week now. Slowly adapting to the ins and outs of the device. Just recently acquired a micro-HDMi toHDMi adapter to connect the Yoga 2 to my TV. Needless to say I was a bit dismayed when I noticed that the adapter worked, but only if I tugged on the connection (towards the front of the machine). When I let go, the screen would disconnect and I would have no picture. This angered me a bit. I read a bit about others having the same issues.

I slept on the issue one night and then in the morning I decided to take matters into my own hands. Grabbed a nail file I had laying around and shaved off about a nail file's width off of the end of the micro-HDMi connector. I could barely see any difference in the cable connector. Then I tried plugging it in and voila. No issues whatsoever. Tried angling the connector towards the back, down, up, front. No interruptions...

I know it is a bit frustrating, but I like the rubbery feel of the Yoga 2 body and was willing to do a bit of DIY to make this work. Took about 5 minutes in total. Now am happy again...

Give this a try if you have a problem with the connection.

Just thought I'd share...

lootzius

why would we have to pay well over $1000 bucks for our machines and have to find fix ourselves?!?! I ordered the Monoprice cable, tried it today and have the exact same problem as the OP. I cannot get the laptop to project to the TV without having to jiggle the cable and there is no sound.... 

Options

9 Posts

11-24-2013

New York

6 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 14 of 61

2013-11-24, 23:46 PM

Where exactly do you shave off from? Any before and after pictures? I have the Rocketfish micro-hdmi to hdmi cable.

Thanks,

Crazysah

Options

145 Posts

10-21-2013

Illinois, USA

288 Signins

2542 Page Views

• Views: 2542
  • Message 15 of 61

2013-11-25, 15:34 PM

The Monoprice cable is working fine for me.

Z.

Options

2 Posts

11-20-2013

Omro WI

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 16 of 61

2013-12-07, 23:20 PM

shave back to essentially make the metal shaft 'longer'.   I did this with a startech cable that worked.    I just bought a new monitor and a rockfish HDMI cable which worked fine.   The rockfish would not allow any plastic cut back and I think barely makes it,  but it does work.

Options

4 Posts

12-10-2013

5 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 17 of 61

2013-12-10, 17:42 PM

I found another thread on this fourm about this problem. I actually had it on my 2 week old Y2Pro. I shaved just a little bit off of the plastic with a hobby knife, making the metal part just a little bit longer. Mine is now working with no issues.

Options

1 Posts

12-08-2013

United States

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 18 of 61

2013-12-18, 18:00 PM

I bought the recommended cable, and still no joy on the HDMI out.

I boutght a plugable USB3 dock, and no joy their either.

I both cases, the system appears to recognize that an external monitor is connected, but "identify" shows no number on that display, and the display reports that it isn't getting a signal.  This is through both HDMI and USB3.0.  I don't think the connector is the issue in this case.

Time to send the machine back to Lenovo?  I'd hate to do that, I absolutely love everything else about it (except maybe some parts of Windows 8.1, but that's another story).

Options

27 Posts

12-14-2013

United States

24 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 19 of 61

2013-12-20, 0:45 AM

I'm using this cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/380622774430

mostly bought it because they ship about 100mi away from me and I get stuff in about 2 days w/ free ship.

Anyway it stays sturdy in there and has no issues with video. It is 10ft not 10 inches like it says. Works perfectly with no hassle.

Options

4 Posts

11-20-2013

Vancouver, Canada

8 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 20 of 61

2013-12-24, 0:31 AM

The issue is not solved for me.

I have purchased a Benq GW2750H monitor and have been playing for the better part of the afternoon trying to connect it via micro hdmi to hdmi. I've shaved the micro hdmi end so that it fits as far as it will go into my yoga pro 2 and nothing.

Well, not nothing exactly... windows 8 recognizes the monitor brand and model, but the Benq shows a message saying "no cable connected".

The monitor is fine as it connects to my old macbook pro with no issues with a dvi to vga adapter.

Has anyone tried to connect it with a micro hdmi to vga or dvi connection successfuly?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated at this point.

--------

Couple of hours after the first post: Ok, it works now. Turns out the Benq monitor is set to d-sub by default and there's no autodetect for hdmi. The cable I just bought (second cable) is from NextTech and it works fine with no need for any modifications.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms