cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clettsome
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 85,895
Message 1 of 61

Yoga 2 Pro won't display on External Screen (thru micro HDMI)

I just recieved my Yoga 2 Pro but I cannot get it to display out the micro HDMI port.  I want to extend my desktop to a Samsung 24 inch monitor (S24C750P) but it won't work.  The monitor acts like there is something connected to it and windows claims to have detected the monitor and the appropriated resoulutions (EDID), but i see nothing but a blank screen.  

Link to picture

I know my cable and monitor work well.  They are both brand new and I have been using them with multiple other computers just fine.  

Anyone else experience this?  Any suggestions? Any fixes? Smiley Happy 

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

clettsome
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 85,697
Message 2 of 61

Re: Yoga 2 Pro won't display on External Screen (thru micro HDMI)

I have done more troubleshooting and found out that if I push and lift the cable plugged into the micro hdmi port on the Yoga 2 Pro then I get a video connection.  It seems that the female hdmi port on the laptop is quite recessed.  I am using a new RocketFish micro hdmi to hdmi cable (RF-AP316).  It seems like the cable male plug is not long enough to fit in the female port (some women have big problems with this).  The bezel of the plug is absolutely flush with the side of the labtop unlike the usb and power plugs that "bottom out" in their female connectors and show a slight space between the bezel of the plug and the side of the laptop.  IT seems that he micro hdmi male plug is not bottoming out in the female port which is preventing a good connection.  This seems like it could be a design flaw with the laptop as I believe most cables will have this problem.  But if I apply vertical pressure to the plug it gives me the video on the monitor.  The new Yoga 2 Pro has a ruberized material around the sides of the laptop to provide good grip and protection when in stand mode etc, and this is what creates the space between the port and the plug.  I will try to go buy another cable but have little faith it will work.  Worth a try though.  Will post my findings.

rblue
Punch Card
Views: 85,653
Message 3 of 61

AGREED!  I have three different MicroHDMI cables/adapters I've been using and I think you have pinned down the problem exactly.

The Micro HDMI socket on the Yoga2 Pro is too recessed and many connectors don't connect at all or give flaky connections that drop out with any vibration / touch to the cable.

I think to solution (other than a redesign of the CASE in front of the MicroHDMI socket by Lenovo) is to find a very narrow Micro HDMI plug, one with very little plastic surrounding the metal connector.  I will look and see what I can find and post if I can see anything appropriate.   OR I might shave down a microHDMI (male) to regular HDMI female connector to fit deeply and snugly into the recessed socket.

FWIW The Cable Matters MicroHDMI to VGA adapter works pretty well - less "wobble" than some other micro-HDMI thinks I've been using.  If someone needs to buy something now I'd try that brand (available at Amazon)

iPhone cases and docks have similar issues.  Lenovo should just have followed the HDMI socket standard

clettsome
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 85,598
Message 4 of 61

I went out and bought another cable and it works a little better but still has the same issue. I dont have to put leverage on it but, as you mentioned rblue, it is susceptible to vibration (if you move the laptop).  Cable is a Belkin AV10098-06.  Not sure what else to do.  

Lenovo, do you have any recommended or tested microHDMI cables that are known to work well with the Yoga 2 Pro???

clettsome
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 85,588
Message 5 of 61

Here are some photos that show the problem. My RocketFish cable (RF-AP316) is the one used in these pictures .  If the photos are distored (streched or squashed) try clicking on them a couple times to magnify and unmagnify them.  Or maybe try to save and view in a photo applicaiton.  Tried to show the problem areas.

Mating Gaps

Vertical Leverage

Laptop Rubber Sides 1 (Cause of the Mating issue)

Laptop Rubber Sides 2 Notice the other ports

Laptop Rubber Sides 3 Notice the other ports

RocketFish Cable 1

RocketFish Cable 2

RocketFish Cable 3

Marsvintage
Paper Tape
Views: 85,545
Message 6 of 61

I'm chiming in to say I have the same problem. I am using a Cable Matters micro HDMI to HDMI adapter and am getting no signal to the tv. This is an unacceptable defect IMO. Hopefully there is a cable that works well!
rblue
Punch Card
Views: 85,527
Message 7 of 61

Your photos show the issue very well - They clearly "forgot" to leave a cutout in the left edge rubber bumper to allow the MicroHDMI to be inserted fully.

I guess one solution is to start cutting into the left edge side and make a cut out.  Not sure that would do our warranties any good!  

Lenovo this is an easy fix for you to do !!

Until then, I have these two cable that seem to work well enough -- not perfect but usable.  There's the Cable Matters micro-HDMI to VGA adapter, I cited before.  Using it now.  Zero stability / disconnection problems.
(make sure you pick a micro-HDMI version for the Y2P)

ALSO and highly recommended...

Monoprice microHDMI (male) to (full size) HDMI female -- Monoprice part number 7603  

On Monoprice here: 
On Amazon here:   

The good thing about these is that they are CHEAP - $4-5 each.  So buy two and take a craft knife to one and "carve" away at the Micro-HDMI plug's rubber surround until it fits really snugly into the Yoga's recessed socket

This Monoprice adapter works for me and seems pretty stable without any "carving".  Lots of happy reviews on Amazon and Monoprice from Surface and tablet and phone owners using this successfully.  Nice to be able to use standard size HDMI cables with this.

The product description says "Very snug fit which will help to prevent HDMI connection problems of having cables come loose" -- which suggests to me they put some thought into this little guy and maybe why it works better than some of the others.

My guess is that other similar Monoprice cables would be a good brand to try (and cheap)

Richard 
emeria
Fanfold Paper
Views: 85,485
Message 8 of 61

Mine will work, but if the laptop moves a little, if the cord slips a little at all, it flickers off.  Seems like there isnt much for a typical cord to fit into.  The same cord works with my Kindle Fire HD just fine.

medeiom
HDMI
Views: 85,478
Message 9 of 61

mgarelik
What's DOS?
Views: 85,452
Message 10 of 61

I had the same issue.  I tried a Rocketfish cable as well as an VGA to micro HDMI adapter that worked with another device (kindle fire HD).

After an hour on the phone with Lenovo last week, I returned the machine to Best Buy as directed.  I waited for this machine to br released and really want to get another one (the i7 I had seems to be out of stock everywhere).

I hope they have wokred on a fix for this issue otherwise this machine is near useless for me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors