Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
booroo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,674
Message 1 of 9

Yoga 2 Pro word of warning re: Comodo antivirus

Do NOT install Comodo antivirus software. I and at least two other Y2P owners have had issues with the software causing a conflict which results in the machine booting without the displaying coming on. Due to the fastboot, it's impossible to then get into the BIOS or safe mode. I've just sent my 1 week old machine back for 'repair' today.

I thoroughly recommend disabling fastboot on your machines. Although I'm not 100% certain that it would have allowed me to effect any remedial changes, it would have at least been worth a shot.

If anyone has come across any other strange quirks/conflicts, it would be great to create a sticky listing them all with workarounds/remedies where possible. The aim is to just warn people off making a mistake and also helping out those who have already done so.

mattrice
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,578
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga 2 Pro word of warning re: Comodo antivirus

There is a 2nd thread reporting identical problem: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/New-Yoga-2-Pro-Impossible-to-turn-screen...

A very frustrating problem with no apparent solution other than return to manufacturer for "repair".

booroo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,557
Message 3 of 9

Yup. I posted in that one then decided that the relevance to Comodo needed greater visibility to help prevent others from being affected by this issue. Sorry you didn't come across this earlier.

If anyone from Lenovo is reading this: please give us some advice/guidance/insight about this issue. You have a few Yoga 2 Pro owners who are worried that any new software will potentially cause conflicts that effectively brick the machine. If this is a known issue and is limited to Comodo (as far as you are aware) please reassure us!
thatandyt
Punch Card
Views: 2,541
Message 4 of 9

Windows 8 has anti virus built in, so perhaps it's a conflict.

booroo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,522
Message 5 of 9

Do you mean Defender? It really shouldn't be a conflict with another antivirus software. That wouldn't cause the issues we're experiencing.

Also, apparently other Lenovo systems also have this issue.
sandertheking
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,450
Message 6 of 9

Hi

Yes, had possibility to brick two same Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro-s after 1 day use. Returned from repair to retailer w exchanged motherboard and reinstalled software. I'm not sure if I would like to test it again.

Tried also Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 1S (business version of the Yoga 2) but skipped Comodo CIS test this thime. Did not liked the smaler screen and the cooling system. I think it is the same problem w excess heat of this two models.

IrvingWashingto
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,299
Message 7 of 9

I am using Comodo AV and Kiosk and Sandbox fine on my Yogo Pro 2 - I found the cause of the conflict.

I was one of the early Coma victims.   The root cause was Geekbuddy and/or one of the other "free" apps that comes with the AV Suite.   One of the members of this forum point to an incompatibility with EFUI and they are correct.   the offending applet had a very early load driver conflict with Safe Boot stuff (I do not understand tiny details) and locked it up = coma.   Once I defeated the fast boot and put the system into Legacy BIOS compatibiliyt mode - AND removed the offending applet by going back to factory image - I was able to install JUST the Internet Security package with AV....no Geekbuddy.....no Dragon browser.   It all works fine and I am very happy with Comodo functionality.

It is a shame that the testing of the EFUI compatibility with Geekbuddy and maybe Dragon was so poor IMHO....but when I called them and said to the tier one tech "I want to escalate and talk to a tier 2 or 3 tech who knows about EFUI conflicts - I got to a guy that admitted - "Yes we have a problem - just install the core package and you will be OK"

Re opening the case vs. just waiting.......I opened the case and used the correct tools (VERY IMPORTANT) to pull the battery connector off .  I am too impatient and too experienced to be be worried about the warranty question - besides I had the Lenovo Service Manual from their site - so I could see in advance that it was a 2 minute job.

Highlighted
Dom2854873
Punch Card
Views: 2,278
Message 8 of 9

First time I saw this issue about october 2013. It's on Yoga 13, Yoga 11s, and Yoga 2Pro (don't know about other ThinkPad Yoga series). After install Comodo Antivirus package, after a few hours Windows get really slow, touchpad stop working, keyboard stop working, sometimes there is a bluescreen "watchdog violation", sometimes machine just restart itself. On next start of laptop: 

1. Yoga 2Pro: there is only black screen - you can't doing anything more
  2. Yoga 13&11S: there is a boot prompt on screen (4 option: normal boot, bios setup, boot manager, recovery), but keyboard isn't working, you can use external keyboard on USB
  • Windows do not boot,
  • Recovery mode do not load, 
  • When you go to BIOS, on section EC version there is "??????????" - normaly ther is for example "66CN41WW" for Yoga 13 - that's why keyboard don't respond

Know FIX:

• Need to open the case and disconnect battery for 3 seconds (you can also wait for completly discharge the battery, but it take some time)
  • After this EC (Yoga 13&11S) is OK, Yoga 2Pro start normally and laptop work fine. But when you loggin Windows after some time there is again and again same problem. So you need to try uninstall Comodo, or just use  Windows One Key Recovery.

Definitely not  depends from: 

• Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
  • BIOS version - i seen different version old and newest
  • Processor : Intel i3 / i5 / i7 - Ivy Bridge, Haswell
  • RAM
  • It's not hardware fault

It all what I know, I hope it help.

*sorry for my english*

whyfly
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,262
Message 9 of 9

Well, it really helps! So, for yoga 2, if I screw out the back cover and pick up the battery for 3 second, and then fill in the battery, then the system can be loaded and I can login to the Windows to uninstall CoMoDo softwares?
Top Kudoed Authors