Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

09-13-2015

Italy

38 Signins

182 Page Views

• Views: 182
  • Message 1 of 6

Yoga 2 + Win10 + Synaptics driver = BSOD

2015-09-13, 15:18 PM

Hello, last week I bought a brand new Yoga 2 13".

It came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled and I immediatly upgraded it to Windows 10 (after the update I did a clean install).

Everything work flawlessly... except for a "little" issue: when I cold boot the computer and I get to Windows 10 lock screen, if I try to unlock the screen by touching or clicking the touchpad (Synaptics) 8 out of 10 times I get a windows blue screen (DCP_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION).

When the computer reboots, if I'm lucky I can touch the touchpad and login but if not I get another blue screen. Usually at the third reboot everything goes fine. The problem seems to happen more frequently at first boot anyway.

After I manage to login everything works perfectly, not a single issue.

After a lot of investigations I figured out that if at lock screen I don't touch the touchpad but I unlock by using the keyboard (or an external mouse if connected), things works as expected without any BSOD.

I even booted a Linux distro to be sure, and with that I can use the touchpad whenever I want without any troubles.

So, given these evidences it must be a problem with Synaptics Touchpad drivers... I'm actually using version 19.0.13.0 that I got through Windows Update, which is the same version for Windows 10 available at Lenovo Support Site for my model.

I have used Windows 8.1 for just few minutes, so I'm not sure if it has the same issue (even tried another Win 10 clean install).

Has anyone faced the same problem? Is there a fix for this?

For now I'll try to remember not to use the touchpad at lock screen, but if I accidentaly touch it after a suspend that won't be good :-)

Answer
Options

10 Posts

09-13-2015

Italy

38 Signins

182 Page Views

Re: Yoga 2 + Win10 + Synaptics driver = BSOD

2015-10-17, 17:05 PM

I had an insight and I finally managed to get a reliable installation of Windows 10 on my Yoga 2 13!

I merged the information from various threads and this is the final procedure I used:

1) Clean install Windows 10 witout any internet connection and create a local user account.

2) Install all Win10 drivers from Lenovo support website except Touchpad and Intel Management Engine.

3) Install the Win8.1 version of touchpad and Intel Management Engine drivers.

4) Now it is possible to connect to the internet and download immediatly Windows 10 update show and hide tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 to hide update related to Synaptics-Lenovo pointing device driver (it was not necessary to hide Intel ME update... even if I installed an old version WU does not attempt to install the new one). If WU is faster than you, you can always revert to the old touchpad driver and then hide the update.

5) From the Synaptics config panel I had to disable Edge Swipe gestures, since they do not work as expected in W10 (infact they are not present in W10 driver).

6) I had to disable automatic brightness adjustment since it does not work very well and I got a lot of annoying flickering.

Now no more BSOD and I can reliably suspend/resume and shutdown without any issue, even with USB devices attached. Tablet mode woks ok.

Finally, after more than a month from the purchase I managed to get a reliable system I can work with... luckily I had another computer to perform my work stuff, but I think things should have been much easier...

Replies(5)
Options

10 Posts

09-13-2015

Italy

38 Signins

182 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

2015-09-24, 13:18 PM

A small update 15 days later...

Although the issue seems to happen more frequently at lock screen, I experienced few random BSOD even during normal usage (and as a coincidence they happend immediately after touching touchpad). Proably this model is not "really" Windows 10 ready (yet). I don't know if this happens in Windows 8.1 to but I don't want to waste time rolling back to it and hoping it will work... so I ended up installing Ubuntu 15.04: I've been using it for a week now and everything seems to be working flawlessly.

Options

10 Posts

08-15-2015

United Kingdom

47 Signins

254 Page Views

• Views: 254
  • Message 3 of 6

2015-09-24, 20:33 PM

I've had the same issue on a Yoga 3 using driver 19.0.3.0

Haven't had a problem with the latest Synaptic driver (i.e. from the Synaptics website: 19.0.19.1), but this interferes with tablet mode which is a bit annoying (the touchpad doesn't switch off in tablet mode, so on screen keyboard doesn't pull up).

Suppose I can only wait for a new touchpad driver (to fix the BSOD issue) or new transition/Harmony software (that works with non-Lenovo synaptics drivers) to solve the issue. Through Lenovo support the advice given essentially boiled down to: role back to Windows 8.1... which isn't really a solution. The drivers need to be made compatible asap.

Options

10 Posts

09-13-2015

Italy

38 Signins

182 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2015-09-25, 12:53 PM

Hi, how did you manage to install drivers from Synaptics website?

I tried the same version (19.0.19.1) both SMB and I2C but although at the end of setup I get the message "Device driver successfully updated", after reboot I lose all the gestures and the touchpad sensibility is the same as the basic microsoft driver (practically unusable).

By "tablet mode" you mean putting the computer in "tent" position or completely fold it at 360°? I lost the ability to switch it off in tent position immediately after Windows 10 upgrade, but 360° fold mode works even on Linux without any setup... I think it is and hardware feature and does not depend on any specific driver.

Options

10 Posts

09-13-2015

Italy

38 Signins

182 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2015-10-11, 12:04 PM

I have made further test and the conclusion is that Windows 8.1 is the only OS that can reliably run on this machine.

I tried Windows 10 again and apart from BSOD I am getting some sleep and shutdown issues. In particular when I wake the computer from sleep sometimes the fans spin up but I get a black screen and when I shutdown sometimes the screen goes black but the fans to not spin down (this appens more frequently when my USB Ethernet adapter is plugged in).

I managed to install synaptic driver 19.0.19.1 and the blue screens stopped showing up, but I cannot use tablet mode anymore too.

With Ubuntu everything is fine except the sleep wake issues.

But with Win 8.1 so far I have not experienced any issue, so I'm sticking with it until drivers are properly updated for Windows 10.

Answer
Options

10 Posts

09-13-2015

Italy

38 Signins

182 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2015-10-17, 17:05 PM

I had an insight and I finally managed to get a reliable installation of Windows 10 on my Yoga 2 13!

I merged the information from various threads and this is the final procedure I used:

1) Clean install Windows 10 witout any internet connection and create a local user account.

2) Install all Win10 drivers from Lenovo support website except Touchpad and Intel Management Engine.

3) Install the Win8.1 version of touchpad and Intel Management Engine drivers.

4) Now it is possible to connect to the internet and download immediatly Windows 10 update show and hide tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 to hide update related to Synaptics-Lenovo pointing device driver (it was not necessary to hide Intel ME update... even if I installed an old version WU does not attempt to install the new one). If WU is faster than you, you can always revert to the old touchpad driver and then hide the update.

5) From the Synaptics config panel I had to disable Edge Swipe gestures, since they do not work as expected in W10 (infact they are not present in W10 driver).

6) I had to disable automatic brightness adjustment since it does not work very well and I got a lot of annoying flickering.

Now no more BSOD and I can reliably suspend/resume and shutdown without any issue, even with USB devices attached. Tablet mode woks ok.

Finally, after more than a month from the purchase I managed to get a reliable system I can work with... luckily I had another computer to perform my work stuff, but I think things should have been much easier...

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)