Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
serious1999
Paper Tape
Views: 1,337
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 2 battery drain while powered off

Hi, I got a used Lenovo Yoga 2 11 (YB02496129), installed Windows 10 and swaped out the old hard drive for an ssd (of course installed all drivers for my device). When powered off, I lose up to 50% of charge while the notebook is turned off (not sleep or energy saving). The battery itself seems fine, because I can still use it for roughly 3-5 hours.

As I thought that it is an Windows 10 issue (software based), I installed linux ubuntu 18.04. Same result, 33% battery drain overnight.

What I tried:

- reading through other forum posts with the same problem

- installing/deinstalling Lenovo Vantage (updated my bios and drivers)

- changed the power off button behavior (shutdown instead of energy saving)

- turning of the device by holding the powerbutton for 10 seconds

- changed the ssd (so I basicly got my windows 10 ssd out and insterted a fresh one for ubuntu)

- installed linux ubuntu 18.04

I cant use a notebook that overnight loses all of its charge for obvious reasons. Do you have any sugesstions? Seems like its a known problem, maybe someone solved it already.

Apoelistas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,306
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 2 battery drain while powered off

I have Lenovo Yoga 2 11  (i3, 4GB), though I also bought a Lenovo Miix 2 11 too, (i5 4GB) because it has FHD, and keyboard can be removed (though cannot be tilted)

I have updated Yoga to latest bios. In early bios there was a battery issue (drain). I believe once the battery gets drained even after updating it to latest bios you still have to replace battery. Read this somewhere and Lenovo issued a firmware few years ago which resolved battery drain. That firmware was later updated. Mine was not affected with initial firmware.

The only problem I have with Yoga 2 11 is the Wifi long distance low  reception. No problem with Miix 2 11 apart from screen orientation issue (though an app is known to resolves this issue).

I have an Intel Wifi card which is said to be white listed and which I have to install in order to resolve the Yoga 2 11 Wifi issue

serious1999
Paper Tape
Views: 1,299
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the answere. Sadly my bios is the newest I can get (92CN93WW(V1.93)), so an update isnt available. Looks like I will need to buy a new battery and try it. Altough the price is ridiculous (around 80€ for a original one).

But first I will see if someone else might have an idea, that dosent involve spending lots of money.

serious1999
Paper Tape
Views: 1,264
Message 4 of 4

Ok, seems like I have fixed the issue, at least its now the third day and the battery is still at 91%.

The solution was to update the battery firmware. Problem: the utilitie is available only if you select Windows 8.1 as your operating system. Although it works fine under Windows 10.

Solution:

1. Go to the drivers on the Lenovo website (for your device)

2. Select Windows 8.1 (if you have Windows 10, also select Windows 8.1)

3. Search for Software and Utilities

4. Download Battery Firmware for Windows 8.1

5. Install (let it update the battery firmware)

6. Enjoy your normal overnight battery discharge

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors