Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tommoxon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,422
Message 1 of 128

Yoga 3 11 - CPU stuck at 0.48 Ghz - 99% of the time

Hi All, 

I see this has been mentioned once before, but there doesnt seem to be any clear answer.

Basically the gpu on  my Yoga 3 11, is stuck at 0.48 Ghz 99% of the time, leaving the laptop more or less useless!

See image below.

Very occasionally it will get un stuck and run like a dream, ive been hoping a bios update would fix it and to be honest after an update it did seem to run un restricted for a short while. When i say it runs like a dream, its shows up at around 1.9Ghz on the Task Manager/Performance screen.

Its not being restricted by my power plan option (as far as i know), I usually run it on High Power setting, I have gone through the power Options and not noticed anything strange,

BEing either plugged in or not, doesnt make any difference.

I haven't noticed any pattern as to the reason why the CPU is very rarely unrestricted.

I have included a few pictures below and im happy to supply any other info which may help diagnosis.

As i say the laptop in its current state, is basically useless and only just about manages to surf the internet.

If i dont find a solution soon, i have no choice but to take it back.

Thanks alot in advance for you help!

Tom

Click here to view image #1

system.jpg

Click here to view image #3

Mod's Edit: Image converted to link due to its size.  Please keeps images under 100k per forum guidelines.
                  Information about posting images in the forum can be found by clicking here.

tommoxon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,377
Message 2 of 128

Re: Yoga 3 11 - CPU stuck at 0.48 Ghz - 99% of the time

I have just done the update for the lastest Bios - 05/05/2015, and it is currently running like as dream.

As mentioned above, this did happen after the previous update, but quickly revented back to 0.48Ghz, so lets see how long this lasts,,,,,

See pics below for the current situation, will keep you updated.

Thanks again for your help.

Tom

Click here to view image

Mod's Edit: Large image converted to a link.

Flanimal
Token Ring
Views: 6,343
Message 3 of 128

MY Yoga 3 11 has never dropped below 0.87[correction: 0.78]Ghz CPU in Task Manager.

How did you update the BIOS? I have no idea whether I have the latest BIOS, I just assumed that OneKey Optimiser kept that sought of thing up to date?

Good to hear that your Yoga 3 is flying now.

tommoxon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,337
Message 4 of 128

Thanks, im super pleased.

After running the optimiser i went to http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-3-1170  and downloaded the latest update, it updated the Bios from 0.6 to 0.8 (last 2 digits), from what i can remember.

Glad to report its still running well! been running slow since i got it around 3 months ago. 

I have various things turned off, like harmonizer etc, gonna turn them back on now i have some more grunt.

Thanks

Tom

Flanimal
Token Ring
Views: 6,329
Message 5 of 128

Updated my BIOS from 2.06 to 2.08. Thanks for the link Smiley Happy

tommoxon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,309
Message 6 of 128

No worries, as it has previously the CPU is stuck back at 0.48GHz! Grrrr 

Any ideas what i could try?

I have another issue actually, when watching video (doesnt seem to happen with an audio only podcast) sound tends to crackle, alot. All the way through the video there is a crackle, def worse smetimes than others, Have tried installing codecs etc, nothing has helped. 

Anyone els have this problem?

Thanks

Tom

tommoxon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,307
Message 7 of 128

Flanimal
Token Ring
Views: 6,297
Message 8 of 128

My ideas aren't very sophisticated. Have you tried "Restore default settings for this plan" in windows power options?

I also have Lenovo's OKO power management running, have you tried selecing different power connfigurations there too?

[edit - also, try restoring defaults in the BIOS?]

I have no idea which takes precidence, OKO power setting or windows power settting. I just select recommended in both to keep the machine cool.

tommoxon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,284
Message 9 of 128

Thanks for your responce,

I believe i have tried all of these, jumping between power plans doesnt change the 0.48GHz.

I went in to Bios and reset basically every setting i could find to default, still nothing. 

The only thing i have noticed which is different between being restricted and unrestricted:

Using CPU-Z, beneath the Core Speed there is a multiplier, 5 - 20.

When unresticted the multiplier is at 20, but when restircted it is at 5. (see pics above)

I dont know the significnce of this exactly, but it seems to be part of or the main issue.

Id really appreciate any help that anyone may have,

Thanks

Tom

jmh7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,156
Message 10 of 128

Did you get anywhere with this or is it still an issue?

Cheers.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors