07-16-2015

Paris

10 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 41 of 82

Re: Yoga 3 14 Fan Noise

2015-08-06, 16:57 PM

I just came back from post office where i sent it back for refund!

Yes, i understand... maybe some people are staying most of the time in a noisy environnement, with tv, music, etc.. and put less attention on it but for me it's one major criteria in the choice of any laptop!

I deliberated also a lot and thought maybe the bios update can do something but i didnt realise that it have nothing to do with the bios except if Lenovo update the termal managment in it to put the fan ON based on a higher temperature. That can make it stop and save little stress but then i realised that while using it with Firefox and other apps it will be impossible to keep it low temperature all the time, the core will reach quickly 35°-40° and much more and put theses noisy fan on anyway for some time and really the sound for me was so annoying that i could not keep it!

In idle mode the two fans are always running not so loudly but it's this stressing high pitch tone that is made of the higher one on the left next to the core and the other a little lower high tone on the right next the GPU. So let's say a mix of 2 high pitch sounds that where making me crazy! the only desire i had after 10 to 15mn was to swich it OFF! and even after for some moment it's like the high pitch sound was remaining in my head!!!

So even i could accept the LCD low quality color sRGB gamut that is only 60% on the LG screen i could never keep something so stressful! and the thing is that mine came with an INNOLUX LCD that was looking even less color fidel!

It's a pity on such a nice quality built laptop!

Lenovo should keep attention on theses things and sell products that are not only powerful but confortable to use according to the sound coming from the fan system otherwise the reputation might suffer on Yoga laptops especialy.

The only way is for Lenovo to change theses fans by other models that don't make any high pitch sound.

Options

1 Posts

08-15-2015

France

3 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 42 of 82

2015-08-15, 17:52 PM

Hello everyone !

At first, let me apologize myself for my "frenchy" english, which i hope, would be no barrier to communicate my experience about the topic raised here.

I've bought a Lenovo Yoga 3 14 a few weeks ago . A deal which was incredibly great to make (VAT was offered by Lenovo) as i was looking for an affordable and efficient notebook for work. Lenovo wasn't lying actually : the notebook is absolutely amazing, especially for windows 8/8.1/10 users (I am currently running on windows 10).

I was, nevertheless, stunned to hear the high pitched noise reported on this topic too, even if it wasn't hurting me (i could have lived with it), but without it now, it's clearly more pleasant to use the machine !

The solution proposed by the admin Andy worked just fine to suppress this unpleasant noise . The update to the version 37 of the BIOS solved the problem of this high frequency sound problem, which must not be a problem for most of users, since these sounds are only audible by young people.

With all drivers updated, there's no problem of overheating during a normal utilisation (web browsing and all these kinds of applications). The computer just work fine, normal use of fans. They still do their job, without the noise reported . I can't unfortunately say more about gaming, as I don't use my Yoga to play, but I'm sure there would be no problem to play , with the patch proposed by Andy, and all the drivers updated.

The noise just disappeared , and the Yoga works now fine, and continues to be the most awesome PC of its category I think . Others firms do not offer such a quality/price rate. If you are currently hesitating on buying one, just do it : you'll make a great deal ! And even more now that this problem can be solved by updating the BIOS :smileywink:

Have a nice day everyone

Options

1 Posts

08-26-2015

Poland

3 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 43 of 82

2015-08-27, 0:00 AM

Hello Andy_Lenovo, hello everyone!

I'm Dominic, a polish student, who has just bought a Lenovo Yoga 3, 14. I was impressed by all these characteristics found in the network. After spending two weeks for searching the best machine to work I thought I had already found it!

I ordered, bought and... guess what happened ;) high frequency fan noise :) I can only smile, because I've read about this problem before. To be honest, I had a strong hope, that a new BIOS update will help with getting rid of this famous problem. I'm sad to claim that it didn't!

Now, after spendind such a long time searching, and after spending the sum of money equal to my 6-months scholarship, I feel terrible when realizing, that I will have a neccessity to send it back :/ what is more, I suppose to have some difficulties in shop to give the computer back, cause the noise is very strange - it is not so loud, the frequency is a problem, you all know what I mean - it can only be heard in a silent room - and a computer shop definitely isn't taht kind of silent place, they can just say: 'man, we don't hear any strange noise, besides it's normal that a laptop produces a fan noise'.

So, please, could you kindly try to face the problem head on and prepare a new update? Or just solve the problem in any other way? I would be really grateful, cause I bought this computer especially to work, my old 6-years old laptop made me crazy due to the noise it produced - both Yoga and my old laptop produce irritating noise when using for writing in open office, word and using a firefox! As for my old core2duo it might have caused some problems, for the i5 8 gb ram memory 2015 Yoga - writing in word and browsing the Internet simulateously shouldn't cause any problem, should it?

Anyone, please give me some feedbacks, espacially Andy_Lenovo, I'm looking forward to your message.

hard-luck-student ;)

Options

11 Posts

07-31-2015

Braunschweig

12 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 44 of 82

2015-09-07, 15:43 PM

Any updates here Andy_Lenovo?

Options

3 Posts

09-10-2015

France

3 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 45 of 82

Re: Yoga 3 14" - Constant fan noise, even when no applications open

2015-09-11, 0:25 AM

Hi,

Can someone from Lenovo please reply to this post?  I submitted an online request form to Lenovo about 24 hours ago but nobody from Lenovo has contacted me to reply.

I received my brand new Yoga 3 14" on Tuesday of this week - almost immediately, I noticed that the fan was constantly running whenever the computer was turned on, even when no applications were running.  I've heard louder fans before, and it's not running at full speed, but I am still concerned because to my knowledge, a brand new computer should not have its fan running constantly (and I really mean it is running constantly...), and the incessant nature of the noise is irritating to say the least.  Naturally, I also worry that the fan's being constantly on will adversely affect the life-cycle of the computer.

I raised the matter with the vendor who said this must be a physical issue with the computer, and to be fair they replaced the computer immediately, but alas, the exact same issue also applies to the replacement Yoga 3 14" that I received today. 

I also called Lenovo today, who likewise told me that this was not normal, and that even if it is only running at low speed, the fan still should not be running constantly.  I closed down all programs in Task Manager and yet the fan continued to turn constantly.

I tried to update the BIOS but it didn't work and a message showed on-screen saying "ERROR 182 - BIOS image is equal or older than ROM! Status = 14" - I don't have a clue what that means.

Can somoene please advise a.s.a.p. on what can be done to solve this problem (in layman's terms please, as I'm not the most technologically proficient)?  I like this computer, and ideally I wish to keep it, but if the fan stays on the whole time, I may have no option but to return it.

Thanks for your assistance.

Options

6 Posts

09-11-2015

ES

28 Signins

225 Page Views

• Views: 225
  • Message 46 of 82

Re: Yoga 3 14 High Pitched Fan Noise

2015-09-11, 20:48 PM

I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 14. Since installing Windows 10, the fan is noisy. I've installed the update BIOS and remains unchanged. Is there any other alternative ?.Can I regulate the fan speed in any way? I´m Spanish.

Thank´s

Options

11 Posts

07-31-2015

Braunschweig

12 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 47 of 82

2015-09-15, 13:41 PM

Latest Update (Version 95) does not change anything. 

Will there be an update where we can apply the DTPF settings for real?

And whats that Energy Manager and Flight Mode Driver thing?

It was updated today but like the version before it has failures in the bat-script where log pathes are not available at all und it does not install anything.

Could you please update the Energy Manager to a working version? 

Options

9 Posts

07-16-2015

Paris

10 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 48 of 82

2015-10-15, 10:00 AM

I'm still amazed that Lenovo didn't dare to solve this problem!

The fan is noisy because of the hardware and have nothing to do with any update except if it offers the possibility to lower the processor speed and shift the fan starting point on a higher temperature.

When i saw this summer a marketing comparaison on lenovo website between the Yoga 3 14 and the HP spectre x360 i was really amazed! Disapointed by the Yoga 3 14 with the Nvidia chip, I purchased later the HP x360 and i can say that it's like comparing a cheap car and a sports car, it have nothing to do with the Yoga!

They enginered the Hp x360 in such a way that the windows 8 or 10 battery managment controlls perfectly the processor speed, so if i choose the economy plan, i can work on the HP ALL DAY LONG AND THE FAN NEVER STARTS!! because the processor stays around 0.77Ghz and i can work on photoshop and browse tons of tabs without problem. So it can work a day long in COMPLETE SILENCE and around 8hours autonomy!!

If i choose the normal plan: the core i7 stays around the normal speed and the fan kicks on after 42, 45° but just a few seconds to goes BACK OFF to start later if the temperature goes back to the starting point.

That's an intelligent way to manage the fan according to the core speed without making the user CRAZY like on the Yoga 3 14 with 2 FANS ALWAYS ON!!

I dont speak on the colours given by the quality of the LCD screen that is absolutly gorgeous!

So honestly i hope Lenovo will build better Yoga's in the future because i really like the build quality in general.

Options

10 Posts

10-15-2015

Norge

13 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 49 of 82

2015-10-15, 11:01 AM

can you make this solution possible for the lenove yoga 3 with hte core M prosessor also?

The fan is going constantly and driving me crazy!

Options

11 Posts

07-31-2015

Braunschweig

12 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 50 of 82

2015-10-19, 20:06 PM

Hey guys,

the new quickoptimizer has a "clear fans from dust" mode. i makes the fans go as fast as possible on demand. i noticed a Lenovo.Modern.ImController.ImClient.dll and a Lenovo.Modern.Contracts.Fan.dll installed in the folder. lm-sensors are related to manual fan control in linux systems and the other dll sounds like its doing something with the fans :D

i wonder if we can use the dll to control our fans.

cheers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete