09-24-2015

Linz

9 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 1 of 7

Yoga 3 14 - Keyboard and auto rotation stopped working

2015-09-24, 13:44 PM

After one week with my new Lenovo Yoga 3 14 my keyboard stopped working. Sometimes, if i press a button hard enough or if I hold the laptop in a certain position, the keyboard works for a second. What's more, it seems like the device doesn't recognize the mode it is in anymore. The screen doesn't rotate and when I use it as a tablet sometimes the keyboard suddenly works although it is not supposed to be enabled in tablet mode. Touchscreen always works.

Things I have tried so far without any success:

• Upgrade to Windows 10
  • stopping the ymc service
  • BIOS update bacn95ww.exe
  • Reinstalling Lenovo Transition software

Right now I am updating Lenovo Companion but that is the last thing that came to my mind that I can do.

Any ideas?

Options

2 Posts

09-26-2015

Germany

5 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Yoga 3 14 - Keyboard and auto rotation stopped working

2015-09-26, 17:24 PM

I have the same problem, it started one month after I got the laptop. I already reinstalled windows and tried a BIOS update, but both did not work.

I don't know whether this could be related to the problem, but the right hinge of my model felt a little bit strange from the beginning and the rubber side of it rubs against the lid.

Options

2 Posts

09-26-2015

Germany

5 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 3 of 7

2015-09-30, 14:40 PM

I could solve the Problem by draining the battery completely.

It seems that the sensor which detects the mode saved a wrong current state, so it had to be reset.

Options

2 Posts

10-01-2015

Melbourne

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 4 of 7

2015-10-01, 5:42 AM

Any update on this please. Will draining the battery work

Options

2 Posts

10-01-2015

Melbourne

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 5 of 7

2015-10-04, 23:32 PM

Draining the battery worked and I can confirm that on my end. Thanks Lewess

Options

7 Posts

11-29-2015

IN

17 Signins

103 Page Views

• Views: 103
  • Message 6 of 7

2015-12-06, 18:19 PM

Summary :-  

1. Draining the battery fully helps regain full functionality in Windows 8.1 only.

2. Do not upgrade to Windows 10.

Detailed troubleshooting :-

I have a new Yoga 3 14 purchased on 24 Nov 2015 in India.

I upgraded to Windows 10 on 25 Nov 2015.

On 29 Nov 2015, I encountered the follwing problems :-

(i)   Keyboard not working (all keys).

(ii)   Touchpad and built in mouse keys not working.

(iii)   Also discovered subsequently that in tab mode, the screen is locked, ie, rotation from horizontal to vertical screen format is not working.

Through lenovo suport website I reloaded the driver for tochpad /inbuilt mouse. The tochpad and mouse keys became operational, but the keyboard was still not working.

On 30 Nov 2015, I reported the matter to Lenovo Customer Support. They asked me boot in safe mode by running msconfig. This did not help out. The keyboard was still dead. By attaching an external usb keyboard, I was asked to get into the bios. Did so, but the keyboard was still not functional.

Subsequently, I went to lenovo website and upgraded the BIOS with the latest one on offer for the model. This too did not help, but thankfully there were no additional problems after upgrading the BIOS.

On 01 Dec 2015, Lenovo support then asked me to perform System Restore which in effect brought me back to the pre-installed operating system, ie, Windows 8.1  But still the keyboard was not functional. Finally they said that they will make a hardware replacement of the keyboard onsite. I am now waiting for the keyboard and support staff.

But reference to a blog on the Lenovo Support website helped. I powered down my laptop battery to "No charge" condition by leaving the sysem ON till the battery got drained fully (repeat, FULLY). After charging and booting up, I found that the keyboard is working and the screen is also auto-rotating in tab mode. So happy !! However I must say that the keyboard in Yoga 3 14 is not very responsive because some letters get missed/skipped inspite of very careful typing. (I must add that my previous laptop Sony VAIO VPCEB16FG had a very good keyboard and I did not face this problem of missing/skipping alphabets).

Thereafter, I again upgraded my system from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. But immediately I encountered the same problem, ie, Keyboard not working, and also the display screen is not auto-rotating in Tab mode. The screen is always in horizonal mode, whichever way I rotate the Tab.

So I again downgraded my system to Windows 8.1 through One Key Recovery application. The keyboard was still not functional. So I also drained the battery of the laptop fully (repeat fully), and rebooted. Lo and behold, the keyboard started functioning and also the screen (display) started auto-rotating as per orientation of laptop in tab mode.

Thus this major issue can be demonstrated (duplicated) every time on upgrading to Windows 10. Lenovo and Microsoft both need to find a solution to this problem and notify customers individually with relevant update. They also need to test typing at high speed and find out as to why sometimes (quite often), the letters are getting missed / skipped, inspite of no mistake by the typist. This is adversely affecting productivity.

Hope this helps.

I would be grateful for feedback from the community.

Options

1 Posts

06-23-2016

US

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 7 of 7

2016-06-23, 15:13 PM

I have a Thinkpad Yoga 14 with similar issues. The keyboard works for a little while before a faulty auto-rotate occurs, which disables the keyboard and mouse. Closing the lid and/or restarting is the only temporary fix, sometimes lasting longer but mostly useless.

I'm running Windows 10. I just received my laptop back from a depot repair and the same problem began shortly after enabling the virtualization capabilities in the BIOS.

I've got another depot repair scheduled as of yesterday. Last night, I thought I would mess around with it a little bit more, possilbly install Windows 8.1 to see if this was a pure hardware or some other issue.

I'm now typing on this machine, which I find is a nice piece of hardware when I discoverd if I immediately turn on the keyboard light (FN-ENTER) upon login, it seems to work normally.

I can live with this, if that's the overall solution. So far, I've used the machine for a few hours like this with no problem. Auto-rotate is working fine.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete