Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rjj77
Paper Tape
Views: 2,833
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 3 14 ssd replacement

I need to upgrade the 128 GB ssd in my Yoga 3 14 to a 256 ssd or hybrid drive.  This drive is very thin - only 5mm - and I cannot find a 256 GB replacement drive for it even though Lenovo sells a Yoga 3 14 with a 256 GB drive.   Where/how can I obtain this 256 GB drive?  Lenovo parts and retail sales website and phone support is woefully unhelpful - multiple calls with no call returns or referrals to other extentions where the person just referred me to another extension.

rjj77
Paper Tape
Views: 2,756
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 3 14 ssd replacement

I have found a good solution to my problem of replacing the small 128 GB ssd on my Yoga 3 14.  The answer is a 500 GB hybrid drive from Seagate - ST500LX012.  This drive is only 5mm high, installs perfectly and fairly easily into the Yoga 3 14 in the mounting space for the hard drive.  Because it's a hybrid drive, it's fast - boots nearly as fast as the SSD that it replaces and generally seems nearly as quick as the SDD, for way less money.  The space allowed for the drive in this Yoga is only 5mm high and I found that a 7mm or thicker drive will not work in this machine if you want to actually lock it securely in place with the existing brackets.  Finding this drive was not easy, as Seagate won't sell it directly and the normal online retailers don't carry it, at least not yet, though they certainly should.  I found the drive finally at www.harddrivesforsale.  Again, Lenova support/sales was no help at all in finding a larger capacity replacement drive and was very disappointing.

luismiguells1
Paper Tape
Views: 587
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 3 14 ssd replacement

Does anyone find a 5mm SSD? I just see that rigth now there are adapter for mSATA, those adapters are thinner than a normal 7mm SSD maybe it could fit better than take off the a SSD from the case.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors