cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cnagra
Punch Card
Views: 382
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 3 - Battery not charging - Hardware or Bios/Driver issue?

Hi,

i've had my Yoga 3 (11 inch (windows 10)) version for around 18 months, and never had any issues with charging. Over the weekend (23/10/2016) I plugged in my charger, and nothing happened... this worried me, as the laptop only had 6% battery, and if it was a driver problem, this could be very tricky to fix on a dead laptop.

My original thoughts were the cable has somehow broken (despite being in perfect condition), and eventually after moving the cable and carefully pushing it into the laptop even further it started to charge!

I decided to see if there were new drivers available for my model, and "coincedentally" a new power management driver was released on 23/10/2016!

I tried to install this driver, but as soon as the tool starts to run within a milisecond it closes itself..

So my questions are...

1) Do you think its hardware or driver issue?
After messing with the lead, the laptop does charge if you bend the wire in a certain direction making me think it's a hardware issue.

2) If its a driver issue, (which the driver update coincedence points to).. Can anyone help me install the driver?

http://support.lenovo.com/fr/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Yoga-Series/Yoga-3-1170/downloads/DS10...

Any help on this would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

cnagra

cnagra
Punch Card
Views: 364
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 3 - Battery not charging - Hardware or Bios/Driver issue?

Just to add.. now when you restart the laptop, you get a chirping/static noise from the speakers, around 10 times before the laptop starts.

I've read this can be related to the power... no idea how though, this happens when plugged in or not.
MattDN93
802.11n
Views: 342
Message 3 of 6

Hey cnagra,

To answer 2)... Unfortunately that Energy management driver being "updated" is a bit of a hoax. Whenever Lenovo adds a new laptop to the list of supported devices for that driver, it appears as "updated", but in fact the driver hasn't been updated since late 2015. Check out this thread where a Lenovo employee confirmed it: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/Lenovo-ACPI-driver-not-installing/m-p/3381262#M4219

Anyways with regard to 1), I'm not going to jump to hardware directly, but as you noticed in the thread from robnicholson, we had similar charging/not charging issues, and unfortunately mine turned out to be a "motherboard fault" - the techs didn't bother to tell me exactly what broke but I'm assuming the battery-to-board regulatory circuitry or something.

I recently had mine fixed under warranty and any battery weirdness has gone. So I'd tentatively say it could be hardware.

What you could try as a last resort is uninstalling and reinstalling the ACPI Battery and AC Adapter in device manager, and also remove the driver and reinstall the Lenovo ACPI Compliant Power Management to see if it helps. Let me know how that goes Smiley Happy
cnagra
Punch Card
Views: 337
Message 4 of 6

Hi MattDN93

I am leaning towards a motherboard fault, which has had a knock on effect on the sound. I get no sound from the speakers, just a static noise every 2 seconds (on bios startup and windows).

I have contacted Lenovo, but my laptop is around 5 months out of warranty.. so very doubt they will fix it.

I will checkout your possible solution in device manager and let you know.

Many thanks for your help.
cnagra
Punch Card
Views: 324
Message 5 of 6

No luck on the fixes you suggested..

But hopefully some better news, I have extended warranty thought my bank account (which I only found out about)... so they are looking into the issue..

I was ready to sell the laptop for parts and replace with a Asus.
MattDN93
802.11n
Views: 321
Message 6 of 6

Hey,

Sorry to hear the fixes didn't help, but that would be good news if you could get the device fixed under warranty!

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors