09-16-2016

AU

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 21 of 44

Re: Yoga 3 Freezes when moved

2016-09-16, 6:40 AM

GeekMan108 - i think you definitely got it right (mostly). I had the exact same problem as others (moving screen cause freezing with wifi adaptor enabled, doens't happen if it's disabled). Seeing your solution, I got myself a Torx T5 and got working and disassembled the bottom cover, battery, and wifi card. Upon close inspection, there's some rubbing marks from the conductive sponge to the bottom cover (which is for EMI compliance). This shows that the bottom cover definite moves a little during use (likely flexing from opening and closing of the screen). What's very telling is that the antenna soldering joints on both sides of the palm rest are NOT insulated, and thus if they come into contact with the bottom cover, it could short circuit, and thus cause the laptop to freeze.

Here's what the joint looks like, in factory form:

With this, the laptop no longer freezes with screen movement, which also explains why disabling the wifi card would stop the problem, because it turns the card off so it's unpowered. Lenovo need to seriously review the electrical insulation designs, and their support team need to contain real engineers. I'm a microelectronics engineer myself and an amateur mistake like this is UNACCEPTABLE. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

13 Posts

01-01-2015

27 Signins

205 Page Views

• Message 22 of 44

2016-09-16, 10:02 AM

Great effort and good idea with the kapton tape. Thanks!

Options

1 Posts

11-16-2016

CA

2 Signins

4 Page Views

• Views: 4
  • Message 23 of 44

2016-11-16, 1:15 AM

Ihad freezing issue before but now, It is freezing more often pluggin-in external drive, turning over, or even just in the night in sleep mode. Bizzard. I started to blame windows but I disabled Broadcom Adapter, then No more Freezing (at least now. I unstalled Broadcom, but windows installed when I refresh drivers, version to 6.35.223.2). Anyway I enabled this and book freezing again. so Now I am looking better versions. I am not sure what is the latest drivers. Lenova driver support download version is 6.30.223.201. I will try to find 7.35 or upper version. hopefully this freezing disappear otherwise I love my yoga.

Also I had speaker noise since day one I bought the laptop, but now it is gone when I re-installed REaltek HD auto or ne of the Max audio thing in startup. I am very happy about that.

Also I am looking to buy Yoga 910 since I am happy with yoga pro 3. but unfortunatly 910 is not available in Canada yet. :(

Options

5 Posts

03-22-2016

Berlin

15 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 24 of 44

2016-11-21, 16:39 PM

Hi again. I tried the approach that GeekMan108 and Mike3 suggested, and so far (2 weeks) it’s working perfectly for me. Thank you! To sum it up, if you sporadically have the problem that your Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro freezes completely at the slightest movement, you have to open it and check if the network card and the wifi-antennae are firmly and correctly installed (and insulated). Pretty easy, can be done without expert knowledge, in my (non expert) opinion.

In my case, when I opened it up I found everything was correctly in place (no loose antenna cables or so), but the problem continued until I opened it a 2nd time, removed the screw that holds the network card, carefully unplugged it, and then put everything back in place again. Since then it is working fine. I guess the network card was a bit loose and would create problems whenever moved.

Agree with huskyman: Bad engineering, Lenovo! Go get some extra classes. 

This is how it looked when I found it. Note that in my case, the cable was on top of the screw (not below it, like in Mike3's Yoga 3 Pro).

Options

2 Posts

05-30-2016

US

3 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 25 of 44

2016-11-28, 15:20 PM

Yep, after reading  all of the suggestions to update drivers and reload Windows, none of these solutions sounded logical to me.  Had to be hardware.  I did the same thing - just opened it up and removed and reseated the wireless card.  Worked perfectly for a few months and then started acting up again, so I repeated the process.  Working perfectly again.  Kind of annoying, but a hell of a lot better than having the laptop freeze every time it moves!

If you don't have the right tools at home to open your laptop, you can get them on Amazon for a few bucks.  I bought this set for about $8.50 US, but you can find them even cheaper, if you prefer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E590BZK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Options

2 Posts

01-22-2017

MY

5 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 26 of 44

2017-01-22, 5:10 AM

I had the same experience as you. It only stopped hanging after my 2nd attempt. I followed everything you did, including re-inserting the wifi card.
I removed the screw on the network card & insulated the network card very well BETWEEN the wire connections & the chip, BETWEEN the wire connections. Then I inserted the screw to hold the insulation tape between the screw & the chip.

NOTE TO ALL ROOKIES LIKE ME: USE AN OLD CREDIT CARD TO GENTLY BUT FIRMLY PUSH THE WIFI NETWORK CARD INTO THE SLOT. 

Options

9 Posts

03-02-2015

GB

40 Signins

162 Page Views

• Views: 162
  • Message 27 of 44

2017-02-02, 9:48 AM

I have a freezing problem too. If the Network card is my problem, what I can't understand is that when I leave the Device Manager dialogue box open, & the Network Adaptors open & showing, (in my case the Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adaptor), shouldn't it disappear when I jerk the display back & forwards until everything freezes. That is if the Network card is loose or contacts shorting.

Options

1 Posts

06-19-2017

AU

1 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 28 of 44

2017-06-19, 13:01 PM

Geekman108 and Huskyman - you guys are stars. I registered on this forum for the sole purpose of giving feedback that this solution, a bit of tape over the exposed solder points, seems to be all that is needed to fix the screen freeze issue. It's true that the solder points are not insulated and once the conductive sponge gets a bit worn out, the solder point arcs every time the laptop is moved.

I had been having trouble for over 6-8 months and practically not been able to use the laptop for more than a few mins, that too on a stable surface with minimal movement. I sent it to Lenovo support and they suggested replacing the LCD screen & the motherboard at a cost of $1500 (AUD). When I asked them what seemed to be the issue, they beat around the bush and gave me irrelevant responses. They hadn't even isolated the cause of the problem.

I took the advice in this post, got myself a Torx 5 screwdriver ($10 for the whole set) + insulation tape ($2), opened up the laptop and covered the exposed solder points and voila! The freezing issue has since been fixed and I've been able to use my laptop. So if your laptop is not within the warranty period, it might be a better idea to try a $10 fix rather than spending huge amount trying to get it repaired through Lenovo support.

Options

1 Posts

07-01-2017

US

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 29 of 44

2017-07-01, 14:09 PM

Thank you very much. This fixed my lenovo. I spent just $12 for tools, $5 for the tape, and 15' work. Great!

Options

39 Posts

01-26-2014

FR

117 Signins

842 Page Views

• Views: 842
  • Message 30 of 44

2018-01-02, 15:16 PM

Had the same issue, did everything adviced, I touch wood but so far so good!

It immediately resolved the issue in a little bit less than 30 minutes, thanks everyone :)

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms