Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeekMan108
Paper Tape
Views: 12,762
Message 11 of 37

Re: Yoga 3 Freezes when moved

There's an extra space at end of your ifixit URL so it's broken. Here's a good link: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Lenovo+Yoga+3+Pro+Display+Assembly+Replacement/52401
Mike3
Paper Tape
Views: 12,704
Message 12 of 37

I had the same problem with my wifi card.  I was repeatedly getting intermittant disconnecting and freezing.  It has been very frustrating and I've been battling it for more than a year.  Lately, I could tell that rotating the screen position was causing the freeezes.  Finally, I opened up the back and saw that the black wire on the wifi card was not snapped on it's post (see top panel of atttached photo).   The wires and terminals are so small I had to use my phone to blow them up to see them. 

Note that this little card/chip is right next to where the screen hinge is.  This seemed like a likely source of my problem and made good sense considering a years worth of my wifi troubles.

To fix it, I carefully loosened the screw, slide the wifi card out, aligned the black wire over the post, and with a small needle nose pliers, very GENTLY "snapped" the female part of the wire over the post.  It made a little click sound when it went on.  I was very carefull not to mash the post or the socket so as not to create a new set of problems.

Then put everything back in it's place (see bottom panel of photo).  So far no freezes, no wifi disconnects.  I'll update if anything changes.  I hope this helps.

LooseWire.jpgBefore and after fix

jmedved
Paper Tape
Views: 12,557
Message 13 of 37

Had exact same problem with the Yoga 3 freezing any time you move the screen forward, unless you disable the network card. Driver update didn't help. Was about to follow @GeekMan108 istructions and open it up to make sure nothing was loose.

Turned the laptop over and noticed that 2 of the screws near the hinge were a bit loose. Before doing anything else, I just tightened those screws and checked - PROBLEM FIXED. Just having the case loose was enough to cause the problem. A very easy thing to check before wasting a lot of time and money.

[EDIT] - Spoke too soon. Now the wifi adapter doesn't show up at all, thus the "fix". 

GeekMan108
Paper Tape
Views: 12,551
Message 14 of 37

Interesting! Does not surprise me that tightening the screws would fix it. My Yoga 3 has been fixed since I opened it up and pressed on the various connections. I am happy with my Lenovo again. Glad you found your fix too.

jmedved
Paper Tape
Views: 12,545
Message 15 of 37

SIGH. Seems that I spoke too soon. The reason it "fixed" the issue is because the Wifi Adapter is not there at all now. And nothing I do seems to bring it back.

And Lenovo is refusing to help unless you dish out basically half the cost of the laptop because it is past the 1 year warranty.

I have 4 Lenovo laptops including this one. I can safely say there will not be any more.
Mike3
Paper Tape
Views: 12,532
Message 16 of 37

My plan was to simply buy a new wifi card (about $50) and replace the old one.  Very straight forward swap as far as I can tell. 

Mike3
Paper Tape
Views: 12,518
Message 17 of 37

I should say that I've had zero problems since I fixed the loose connection.  My Yoga3 Pro and Wifi card work fine (knock wood).

jmedved
Paper Tape
Views: 12,508
Message 18 of 37

Yes, I agree, that is definitely the problem. I ended up opening it up and basically making sure everything is tight. closed it up and after a few attempts, the network adaptor came back and everything working fine.

The whole thing though is troubling. Obviously we are not the only ones getting the issue. Lenovo should be fixing this for everyone

Jack155Q4
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,352
Message 19 of 37

There are a few threads on this but it is worth posting in all of them so that others can benefit from a frustrating problem:

I had managed to fix the freezing by reinstalling or rolling back drivers. I didn't keep notes on from what to what though.
It started happening again this week so I tried as I did before but to no avail.
So, I thought I would reseat the wireless card which is a simple job. It appears to be slotted in 0.5mm further than before. Not sure if this is a factor as I am sure all the pns were makeing connection before.

Anyway, so far so good and I am still on a driver from 2014.
I will update if it goes bad again
Highlighted
huskyman
What's DOS?
Views: 12,389
Message 20 of 37

GeekMan108 - i think you definitely got it right (mostly). I had the exact same problem as others (moving screen cause freezing with wifi adaptor enabled, doens't happen if it's disabled). Seeing your solution, I got myself a Torx T5 and got working and disassembled the bottom cover, battery, and wifi card. Upon close inspection, there's some rubbing marks from the conductive sponge to the bottom cover (which is for EMI compliance). This shows that the bottom cover definite moves a little during use (likely flexing from opening and closing of the screen). What's very telling is that the antenna soldering joints on both sides of the palm rest are NOT insulated, and thus if they come into contact with the bottom cover, it could short circuit, and thus cause the laptop to freeze.

Here's what the joint looks like, in factory form:

P_20160916_154641 (Copy).jpg

My fix is simple - put 2 layers of Kapton tape (electrically insulative) onto the solder joints, and a single layer over the wifi card antenna connection for good measure. Here's a few pictures of the fix:

P_20160916_155437 (Copy).jpg

P_20160916_155442 (Copy).jpg

With this, the laptop no longer freezes with screen movement, which also explains why disabling the wifi card would stop the problem, because it turns the card off so it's unpowered. Lenovo need to seriously review the electrical insulation designs, and their support team need to contain real engineers. I'm a microelectronics engineer myself and an amateur mistake like this is UNACCEPTABLE. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors