Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chevyjeep
Blue Screen Again
Views: 17,846
Message 1 of 37

Yoga 3 Freezes when moved

I have had this problem since new. The only solution is to keep the yoga 3 on a desk or somewhere where it will not get moved. Needless to say all the features that are tablet and tent features are out of the question. When this happens only a power button reset will work, This will even occur when booting up if the computer is moved. I am certain is has something to do with the sensor that detects screen orientation. At this point, I am thinking poorly of Lenova as this problem along with some of the keyboard keys becoming hard to register are combining to make this product appear generally cheap/defective. I did read something about turning off the Intel Rapid Display SSD link if I quoted that right, which I did, but the problem still persists. BTW I have seen a few posts where a similar problem occurs but the mouse cursor still responds, but in my situation everything freezes, even the mouse cursor, zero response to anything.

Guru
Views: 17,690
Message 2 of 37

Re: Yoga 3 Freezes when moved

I think you may have a hardware problem, could be something related to HDD or the complete motherboard.

My advice would be to contact Lenovo Support and ask them for a repair. Please note that it is extremely important that you provide your problem details (freezing on moving laptop), othewise they wont be able to identify it.

You can find all useful links here -

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
chevyjeep
Blue Screen Again
Views: 17,655
Message 3 of 37

Ihave had it in tablet mode with no problem so I agree ot is probably hardware and to do with the sensor for screen orientation/rotation

DM47
What's DOS?
Views: 17,425
Message 4 of 37

In my case if I have Word and Outlook open and I move the lid, the Yoga 3 pro freezes and I have to hardboot and restart the computer. I called Lenovo and they say it is a microsoft issue. This is rediculuous. The same programs operate OK on other computers. Any suggestion on how I can convince Lenofo that my extra warranty that I paid for should be honoured?

GeekMan108
Paper Tape
Views: 17,174
Message 5 of 37

This might be the solution. I've had this Yoga 3 Pro freezing problem for about 6 months. It's only the last month that I discerned it would freeze when the screen was moved. Apparently there's a sensor in the hinge.

I read in a thread on TomsGuide that disabling the wifi adapter seemed to keep it from freezing so as weird as it sounded, I went into the device manager to try disabling it. Instead, before disabling it, I right-clicked to see if there was a driver update (for the Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter driver under Network Devices). There was an update available, which is unusual, as I don't think I've ever found a driver update through the device manager. So, I let it update over the web and it completed in about 20 seconds.

I then moved the screen again to test it, and it froze again --- just like the previous 7-10 freezes I'd just endured in the past 30 minutes, which always required a hard reboot by holding down the power button.

Seeing it didn't work, I rebooted, realizing the driver was updated but obviously not loaded until rebooted (duh). I rebooted and have not had it freeze since, even though in the past whenever I would move the screen (open or close it even a tiny bit), it would freeze. I'm swinging it forward and back full tilt now and nothing. No freezing.

Is it fixed permandently? Seems to be but time will tell. If it lasts the week, I'll consider it a true fix and will post back here. If not, I'll post that update as well (with tears in my eyes). It can't hurt to at least try disabling/updating the Broadcom driver if you have this freezing issue.

In terms of OS, I was on Windows 8.1 for the past 9 months or so, then just upgraded to Windows 10 thinking it might help fix the freezing, but it didn't help at all. As a sidenote, if you're on Windows 10 or thinking of upgrading, I recommend Spybot's free Anti-Beacon, which is anti-telemetry software that blocks Win 10 from calling home and wherever else and spying on you.

Let me know if either disabling or updating the Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter driver helps anyone else. I know there are A LOT of people experiencing this very frustrating issue, and it would be great if this is the simple fix everyone's looking for.

Just right click it under Network Adapters and then click "Update Driver Software" or you can try disabling it from there if no update is available. For me, it updated to version 7.35.338.0, which was released 12/10/2015, so it's a pretty recent update.

Maybe it's just a weird coincidence because who on earth would suspect that a wifi driver would have anything to do with a laptop freezing when the screen is moved/adjusted? Bizarre. But, I'm VERY happy for now. If this ends up being the fix, major props and thanks to Revihs on the TomsGuide forum for pointing out this apparent connection between the freezing and the wifi driver. Would not have guessed that in a million years.

Benovo
Paper Tape
Views: 17,002
Message 6 of 37

Hi, 

for me, none of the software-based approaches solved the problem:

• Rolling back or updating the Broadcom WiFi-Adapter: Still freezes.
  • Rolling back the system back to factory settings with Windows 8.1: Still freezes.

The only "work-around" is to disable the Wifi-Adapter, meaning, logically, that you cannot use wifi. 

The fact that it seems to occur after ~one year of use and that it happens when you move the screen makes me think that it is a hardware problem. 

Did anybody check if it is linked to the display's cable connection? Here: 

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2721547/yoga-pro-freezes-constantly.html

a user says - according to Lenovo service - it "was a fault with the displays COAX cable". Can anybody confirm / disconfirm this? 

GeekMan108
Paper Tape
Views: 16,982
Message 7 of 37

I think you're right. It's probably hardware related. But why would disabling Wifi help with a dispaly coax cable issue? What does wifi have to do with the display?

It looks like someone at the link you provided was instructed to roll back to an earlier Intel wifi driver release and that resolved the issue.

What's strange is my Broadcom driver update seemed to make it better for a couple of days, but then it actually got much worse where I couldn't move the computer even a tiny bit or touch the touchscreen. But, that solution seemed to work for at least one person on that Tom's Guide thread.

I think Lenovo may end up facing a class action over this. I've seen many companies ignore issues like this and, inevitably, they get sued big time. It seems Lenovo is ignoring this issue. They should issue a recall at the very least as this is a huge problem that appears to be widespread. The laptop is only a year old, out of warranty and completely unusable. I gave up on trying to fix it after 6 months of trying and am back to an old Sony Vaio Z, which is a work horse. I will NEVER, EVER buy another Lenovo as long as I live. They clearly do not stand behind their products as there seems to be so many people looking for help with this problem. Very bad customer service.

Most of my computers have lasted at least 5-10 years if not longer. This one was dead in a year. I've never had an unreliable, troublesome computer like this in my life, and I've had many desktops and laptops. My Lenovo desktop died too. Have had ZERO luck with Lenovo and am done trying.

@Benovo wrote:

Hi, 

for me, none of the software-based approaches solved the problem:

• Rolling back or updating the Broadcom WiFi-Adapter: Still freezes.
  • Rolling back the system back to factory settings with Windows 8.1: Still freezes.

The only "work-around" is to disable the Wifi-Adapter, meaning, logically, that you cannot use wifi. 

The fact that it seems to occur after ~one year of use and that it happens when you move the screen makes me think that it is a hardware problem. 

Did anybody check if it is linked to the display's cable connection? Here: 

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2721547/yoga-pro-freezes-constantly.html

a user says - according to Lenovo service - it "was a fault with the displays COAX cable". Can anybody confirm / disconfirm this? 

GeekMan108
Paper Tape
Views: 16,855
Message 8 of 37

After this freezing problem getting to the point where I had to get another computer (not Lenovo), I decided to open up the Yoga 3 Pro to see if perhaps there was a loose cable or something.

I got a screwdriver kit with a Torx 5 and opened it up. I found the wifi card and it had two wires coming off it that led to each side on the front. Presumably, these were antennae. They were stuck down with tape, and it had come up a bit on one side. I pushed down on the tape on both sides to make sure it was stuck down well. I put it back together, and viola! My laptop has been usable ever since. It doesn't freeze at all anymore. It has been about a month and I am back to using the Lenovo as my laptop of choice.

Coincidence? I don't know and I don't care. I'm not taking it apart again to pull up on the tape to see if I can break it again. All I can tell you is I'm happy it's working.

So, I guess if all else fails, open it up (there's a YouTube video on this) and check for loose connections. In my case, it seems to have been the problem. I use it every day and not a single freeze over the past month. If it breaks again, I'll open it up again and check these connections first.

Benovo
Paper Tape
Views: 16,807
Message 9 of 37

Hey GeekMan108,

That is a huge step forward. Thank you for sharing this information. I might give it a try as well, as the problem still persists (less than before – and I didn’t make any software changes). Could you elaborate a bit on how you did it?

@GeekMan108 wrote:

They were stuck down with tape, and it had come up a bit on one side. I pushed down on the tape on both sides to make sure it was stuck down well.

Was it that part you fixed?

I still wonder, however, why the freezing would occur when moving the display, although the wifi-antennae are not running through the display (as they do in many other devices). But hey, as you said, as long as it works... !

GeekMan108
Paper Tape
Views: 16,801
Message 10 of 37

Not where the wires connect to the card. Where they terminate on the other side, on each side of the touchpad in the front.

Look at the black and gray wires in the video. They terminate at the front on either side. Call it black "tape" or "plastic" or whatever is holding them down, it was starting to come up on my unit. I pressed the "tape" down again so it stuck. I also pressed lightly on all connections on the wifi card itself in the back just to make sure nothing was loose. Everything seemed solid there.

Yes, does not seem to connect to the hinge, which is something I looked for. I observed the metal strip/sensor in the middle as I opened and closed the lid to make sure everything seemed to be working well there and it seemed to be fine. I may have pressed on something there, too, so if something was loose, there's another possibility.

I don't know how much help this will end up being to anyone, but it's worth a check as my computer has been 100% fixed since I did this and it's such a relief to be able to use it again.

Also, important note: it is not suggested that anyone open or disassemble their laptop if still under warranty as it could potentially void the warranty. Mine is out of warranty so I had nothing to lose by trying.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors