Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Yoga 3 Pro - Accessing BIOS, boot menu and System Recovery

by Community Moderator on ‎12-04-2014 01:29 AM - edited on ‎12-04-2014 02:31 AM by Administrator (377,932 Views)

The following tutorial will explain the following topics

1. How to access the BIOS Setup
  2. Choosing a boot menu
  3. Start a system recovery

It is not the idea to explain every single option of the above, since many of them are complex and it would be too extensive for such a tutorial like this. 

To execute any of the tasks above you need to press the button marked with the red arrow in the picture below:

IMG_20141130_230118.jpg

Press the button when the Y3P is off! Use a small pointing device, I use the tablet pen of one of my Thinkpad tablets

Once you press the button you will be presented with the following screen:

IMG_20141130_230432.jpg

Use the cursor keys to move up and down, press Enter to choose an option.

1) BIOS Setup

The BIOS is where you can get technical information about your device, as well to change boot parameters and setting up security passwords. Be very careful when changing certain values, since it can affect the way the Y3P works and/or affect performance and security settings.

Information Screen

It gives the hardware details of the Y3P, like CPU, installed RAM, SSD capacity and so on. This is a display only screen, no settings can be changed here:

Untitled-1.jpg

Configuration Screen

Time and date can be changed in this screen. Furthermore to deactivate the Wireless LAN and enable the Intel Virtual Technology. If you plan to use Virtual Machine software in your Y3P this setting must be enabled

IMG_20141130_230712.jpg

Passwords can be set up in this section. Secure Boot settings can be changed here.

Primarily designed to protect users from rootkits and other malware attacks by blocking unauthorized executables and drivers from being loaded during the boot process, it must be deactivated if you plan to install Linux or having paralel operating systems

IMG_20141130_230717.jpg

Boot Screen

Boot modes can be selected in this screen, you can disable booting from a USB stick or from a network for example

IMG_20141130_230721.jpg

2) Boot Menu

This option is useful if you have Linux installed (using managers like LILO, GRUB, etc).

If you only use Win8 or higher there 's no much you can change.

IMG_20141201_220449.jpg

3) System Recovery

This option will allow you to restore the system to either its factory setup, or to a previous backup done within Windows

A factory set up will leave the Y3P as it was shipped from Lenovo your private data and installed apps and/or programs will be wiped out. So make sure you have an external backup before such a reset

IMG_20141201_220852.jpg

Was this information helpful?

Comments
ddm9211
Paper Tape

OK article. Doesn't answer my questions.

Jrezky
What's DOS?

What was yor question? From what I can tell the post was made to answer its own questions.

khuran
Paper Tape

On my Y700 the NOVO button makes my notebook go into an infinite reboot loop.  Is there other function keys that can get me to enter BIOS?

KathyAllen
Paper Tape

This was very helpful.  Thank you. Found the bios button and changed what I needed to change. 

symcbean
Fanfold Paper

Current Redhat, Fedora and Ubuntu Linux distributions come with kernel loaders signed by Microsoft - so you don't need to disable "Secure" boot if you are trying to install one of these. I've recently done exactly that on a 510.

Sadly there seems to be no option to add your own keys to the firmware, but at least there is an option to disable  this silly bit of functionality.

Rf1
What's DOS?

I received the following.  Default Boot Device Missing or Boot failed. Insert recovery media and hit any key. Then select Boot manager or to Boot recovery media. Lenovo yoga 3 pro.

I need help. Thanks

alexander_diaz
Paper Tape

tengo un lenovo yoga 300 que funciona sin disco duro por que alguien save

SUMMERtime
Fanfold Paper

I have a yoga 70014ISK that gave me 0xc000025. I reached the window you posted, however my question is will my computer start working if it is set to ( Restore from initial back up? Geek Squad told me they would have to wipe my YOGA and reinstall Windows 10. Please HELP! 

Pat1962
What's DOS?

Lenovo pro 1370 went black no power. Tech said it was power supply.  New supply arrived today still not working.  Any ideas?

Dennishijk
Paper Tape

The bios button worked twice for me, but then stopped working. I had to create a Windows 10 USB boot drive in between times. 

Now I can't get back to the BIOS and am stuck in the Preparing automatic repair loop.