Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-25-2015

USA

3 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 1 of 14

Yoga 3 Pro Not Charging

2015-01-25, 9:26 AM

Earlier today, my Yoga 3 Pro decided to stop charging.  When plugged in, the battery continues to drain as if it was not plugged in.  I have tested the A/C adapter by plugging in my phone with a micro USB and that worked fine, and the USB charging slot works when my wireless mouse is plugged into it, so I assume it must be the strange Y3P USB cable that is not working.  

Would a normal USB to USB cable work for charging my laptop?  If not, how do I replace that "kink" USB cable?  I haven't seen any for sale anywhere and I'd rather not have to pay $40 for a whole new charger on the Lenovo site if the cable is the only issue.

Answer
Options

8980 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77785 Signins

2227900 Page Views

• Views: 2227900

Re: Yoga 3 Pro Not Charging

2015-01-25, 15:26 PM

Hello and welcome,

The Y3P and its charger need that special cable.  The charger and laptop have an extra set of pins in the USB sockets that pass 20V to charge the laptop.  A standard USB cable doesn't support those extra contacts.  The charger also provides 5V on the standart USB pins.

Your test of the charger with a your phone shows that the 5V portion of the charger is working but doesn't verify the 20V portion.  It's possible that the charger is bad.

When you plug the laptop and charger together does the battery icon indicate that AC power is attached?  You could have a bad charger, a bad cable, a bad laptop connector (or other component) or the battery management software could be messed up.

Sorry I don't have an easy test or fix.  It may be necessary to actually swap the cable and charger to diagnose this one.

[edit] The Y3P is a fairly new machine.  If this is under warranty, support should be able to help you:  1-877-4-Lenovo, 1-877-453-6686

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Replies(13)
Answer
Options

8980 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77785 Signins

2227900 Page Views

• Views: 2227900
  • Message 2 of 14

2015-01-25, 15:26 PM

Hello and welcome,

The Y3P and its charger need that special cable.  The charger and laptop have an extra set of pins in the USB sockets that pass 20V to charge the laptop.  A standard USB cable doesn't support those extra contacts.  The charger also provides 5V on the standart USB pins.

Your test of the charger with a your phone shows that the 5V portion of the charger is working but doesn't verify the 20V portion.  It's possible that the charger is bad.

When you plug the laptop and charger together does the battery icon indicate that AC power is attached?  You could have a bad charger, a bad cable, a bad laptop connector (or other component) or the battery management software could be messed up.

Sorry I don't have an easy test or fix.  It may be necessary to actually swap the cable and charger to diagnose this one.

[edit] The Y3P is a fairly new machine.  If this is under warranty, support should be able to help you:  1-877-4-Lenovo, 1-877-453-6686

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

131 Posts

02-04-2015

Canada

167 Signins

2499 Page Views

• Views: 2499
  • Message 3 of 14

2015-02-04, 21:27 PM

The overall problem of no availabiity of this USB cable is an issue though going forward. Even with older Lenovo laptops, you could buy a "universal" charger and charge your laptop. This plug type makes it currently impossible, so if it is not a warranty related issue (e.g. let's say your charger is stolen), then you are stuck with no power.

Options

5 Posts

06-06-2015

greenland

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 4 of 14

2015-06-06, 16:23 PM

edit: message move to the other bigger thread

Options

3 Posts

11-18-2015

United States

7 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 5 of 14

2015-11-18, 16:02 PM

I am having the same problem with my Yoga 11-S. 

Last month, I took it into a repair shop and they told me the charger cord was faulty, and I should buy a new one. I did; but one month later, the new cord isn't charging the computer either... 

Options

2 Posts

09-29-2015

Pakistan

8 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 6 of 14

2015-11-19, 3:15 AM

My Lanovo Yoga 3 Pro battery is not charging. The charger does not seem to be a problem as the notebook works as long as it is connected but the battery shoes 0% charge and as soon as the note book is disconnected, it goes off.

Options

1 Posts

12-02-2015

Montreal

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 7 of 14

2015-12-02, 22:41 PM

This is sometime due to the battery getting disconnected internally. Try this link:

https://dinoraptor101.wordpress.com/2015/08/20/yoga-3-pro-not-charging-easy-fix/

Options

8 Posts

06-23-2015

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

23 Signins

122 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 122
  • Message 8 of 14

2016-12-27, 14:58 PM

I have had this problem twice. The power cord delivered with my new Yoga 3 Pro lasted just over 17 months. The genuine Lenovo replacement lasted just 65 days before failing in the same way. Each time, I found it started charging with a new cable and, just to be sure, I checked that it still didn't charge with the old cable.

This seems to be a design fault with the genuine Lenovo cable. I am now trying a non-Lenovo alternative, and will report here if it is better.

I electrically tested my failed Lenovo replacement cable, and there was no continuity between the 20V connectors at the two ends. I cut open the rubber shroud around both connectors of the failed cable and found that the blue 20V wire is much thinner than the other two cables in the bundle (red 5V and black ground). It only has 8 hair-thin copper wires within it. All of them were broken at a point about 70mm from the tip of the connector, which is about 15mm beyond the end of the rubber shroud. I presume that repeated bending causes the thinnest cable to stretch round the other 2 thicker cables, eventually stretching it apart.

Both times, when the power cable failed, all USB devices stopped working as well. As advised by Lenovo, I could get the USB devices working again as follows: 1) power down the laptop; 2a) disconnect everything; 2b) Some articles say you also have to completely discharge the internal battery (but I didn't have to) 3) hold down power button for 30 secs. Apparently this "deep discharges the motherboard". (I guess the broken wires intermittently connect and reconnect, so perhaps the USB disconnects itself as protection from the little voltage surges, and holding the power button resets some memory location that holds it in this disconnected mode.)

Options

2 Posts

10-07-2015

Uganda

15 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 9 of 14

2017-10-03, 9:09 AM

The same for me !

Options

8 Posts

06-23-2015

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

23 Signins

122 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 122
  • Message 10 of 14

2017-10-03, 14:07 PM

My non-Lenovo replacement bought on 20 Dec 2016 is still working OK, but only 9 months, so not a life test yet.

I'm in the UK, so I bought it from DFL via here.

I now carry a spare around with me, having been embarrassed by losing my laptop's charging capability while travelling twice now (both Lenovo genuine cables).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms