cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YogaPro3
Blue Screen Again
Views: 45,728
Message 1 of 53

Yoga 3 Pro: Speaker stopped working (headset jack still works)

Recently purchased Yoga 3 Pro (Windows 8.1) from Lenovo website (2 months ago).

The speaker has been working fine until yesterday. All of a sudden, the speaker stopped working, after I used the headset.

Now, only headset works, and no sound can come out of the speaker.

I've updated the speaker RealTek driver to a newer version 9/2014. It did not help.

Does anyone have any idea on what might be the cause and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Guru
Views: 45,554
Message 2 of 53

Re: Yoga 3 Pro: Speaker stopped working (headset jack still works)

Is your headset still connected?

Right click on volume icon in the system tray (Bottom RIght) and select PlayBack devices.

Check that the laptop speakers are selected as Default device. (Tick Mark)

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
lenardg
802.11n
Views: 45,526
Message 3 of 53

Same thing happened to me. Restart or driver reinstall does not help. Yoga 3 seems to be stuck in thinking there is always headset connected and refuses to switch to speakers. Headset works as expected. If I connect it there is sound. If I disconnect it there is none. Previously the audio system also produced a small popup when I connected headphones. It stopped doing that as well.

When opening the audio playback properties there is only one item, speakers. No other playback device.

Still looking for an answer.
Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
bkayastha
Paper Tape
Views: 45,505
Message 4 of 53

I have the same problem except with Yoga 2 Pro. I think the problem is that the computer thinks the headphones are still plugged into the computer...

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 45,498
Message 5 of 53

Have you ever been able to reverse the situation? I tried plugging in all sorts of devices, stereo speakers, regular headphones, headsets (with the 3 phase 3.5mm connector), nothing happens or changes. The computer still thinks the headset is connected.

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
bkayastha
Paper Tape
Views: 45,489
Message 6 of 53

Nope. From what I've heard some people were able to get speaker sound, by plugging in and out headphones really fast. But most people with this problem get a change in yoga laptop from lenovo.

If I do find a fix for it I'll post it here. Also in within 2 weeks I'll try using the sound through ubuntu on a flashdrive on my computer to really see if it's the hardware or software that's messing it up.

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 45,475
Message 7 of 53

I tried:

• Plugging-unplugging headset and headphones (that is, different devices) from the audio jack, but nothing happens. The computer does not detect the connection or disconnection, and speakers remain silent.
  • Reinstalling and upgrading the audio drivers (the latest driver release on Lenovo site)
  • Upgrading the BIOS to the latest version
  • Booting Ubuntu from an USB flash drive. Ubuntu said that speakers are connected, and also played audio only on the headphones, and refused to use the speakers of the notebook itself.

So at this point I am afraid it looks like this is a hardware problem, and not something solvable in software alone. 

Reading some threads it seems that the Realtek Audio Manager has previously allowed disabling headphones detection, but this option seems to have been removed, as I was unable to find anything like this. Even if the hardware headphone detection is not working, the software should be able to use the speakers, there just does not seem to be an option for that currently.

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 45,451
Message 8 of 53

Could anyone with a working Yoga 3 Pro (working as in both headphones and notebook speakers working) confirm what you see in the Playback devices window? Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray (lower right hand corner by default) and select Playback devices. I'll attach a screenshot of how it looks right now for me. I cannot recall if it looked any different before I had the problem with the headphones.

y3p_playbackdevices.png

ritadidi
What's DOS?
Views: 45,382
Message 9 of 53

So, the exact same problem has happened to me just today. Speakers were working fine until the evening...then stopped. I updated all the Windows software and the BIOS and updated the driver for the RealTek speakers. My Device Manager shows exactly the same information as yours. After spending quite a bit of time on the phone with Lenovo Support, they have indicated that it is a hardware problem and that I need to ship my Yoga Pro 3 back to Texas, and that it will be a 7 day business day process. Will wait until the weekend to see if somehow there is a software fix that addresses this issue. I do have sound coming through my headphones like everyone else, too.

@lenardg wrote:

Could anyone with a working Yoga 3 Pro (working as in both headphones and notebook speakers working) confirm what you see in the Playback devices window? Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray (lower right hand corner by default) and select Playback devices. I'll attach a screenshot of how it looks right now for me. I cannot recall if it looked any different before I had the problem with the headphones.

y3p_playbackdevices.png

YogaPro3
Blue Screen Again
Views: 45,584
Message 10 of 53

My problem was fixed by rolling back the audio driver (which was updated
through Windows Update automatically) to the factory default. The speaker
will work again once the default driver was reinstalled.

Now, one thing to note is that you also need to disable the automatic
driver update from the "System Properties" ==> "Hardware" tab ==> "Device
Installation Settings" ==> Select "No, let me choose what to do." ==> And
then select "Never install driver software from Windows Update." and ensure
"Automatically get the device app and info provided by your device
manufacturer" is checked. This will prevent the driver gets automatically
changed by Windows Update after your next reboot.

Hope this helps to fix your situation too.

BTW, the likelihood of a hardware (speaker) defect is very very low...

Good luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors