cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juliabb
Paper Tape
Views: 1,191
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 3 Pro - Switch from headphones to speakers does not work - speakers not recognized

Hello

I have been dealing with this issue for more than 6 months now and I have been trying all the possible solutions suggested on the internet, but nothing works for me.

So my problem is the following: I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro (Windows 10) and from the beginning my Realtek drivers did not work properly. Either the speakers did not work or the headphones were not recognized. Updating did not help.

I then tried the option to run the computer with the default drivers by following these instructions:

"Now, one thing to note is that you also need to disable the automatic
driver update from the "System Properties" ==> "Hardware" tab ==> "Device
Installation Settings" ==> Select "No, let me choose what to do." ==> And
then select "Never install driver software from Windows Update." and ensure
"Automatically get the device app and info provided by your device
manufacturer" is checked. This will prevent the driver gets automatically
changed by Windows Update after your next reboot."

This worked in some extent. I could use both speakers and headset, but I had to switch manually between the two by going to the "Sounds" menu.

However, after about 4 months, I started to get blue screens with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors and only enabling the automatic driver update from Windows Update again helped it. So this is not an option anymore and it was really annoying to switch it manually anyway.

The problem is now that, after re-enabling driver updates from Windows Update, the speakers worked at first, then I plugged in my headphones and it switched properly, but then I plugged them out again and it doesn't switch back to the speakers. If I go to the "Sound" menu, the headphone is recognized as speaker and I cannot even switch to the speakers manually (because they're not recognized, only the headphone is recognized as speaker).

I would be EXTREMELY grateful for useful advice, because this is really annoying me!

Thanks in advance,

Julia

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,169
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 3 Pro - Switch from headphones to speakers does not work - speakers not recognized

It may actually be a hardware issue. The switchover shouldn't be handled by the software, just detected.

What kind of headphones are you using? Are they TRRS or CTIA? I've never used CTIA (Apple) earphones, but I have had systems configured for CTIA that didn't detect my TRRS headphones correctly. SHouldn't be an issue if the headphones only have 2 rings though (stereo headphones with no mic or in-line controls).

Have you tried installing the latest Realtek drivers? http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsview.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownT...

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
juliabb
Paper Tape
Views: 1,165
Message 3 of 6

Re: Yoga 3 Pro - Switch from headphones to speakers does not work - speakers not recognized

Thank you for your answer!

I use several TRRS earphones/speakers. Neither of them has a mic or in-ine controls. The newest drivers are installed.

I really think it is related to the Realtek drivers though, because before I istalled Windows 10, I managed to get rid of them (don't remember how though) and the problem disappeared. The sound (whether it was with the speakers of the laptop itself or with speakers I plugged in) never worked properly when these drivers were in use.

Is there any other way I can get rid of them than the method described in my first post?

aperunner
Paper Tape
Views: 1,109
Message 4 of 6

BLOW in the input jack AFTER you plug out the headphones.

It works for me.

ras47
SCSI Port
Views: 1,102
Message 5 of 6

This has actually helped me in several similar situations, both with mobile phones and laptops. Sometimes it really is that simple.
aschobey
Paper Tape
Views: 965
Message 6 of 6

After reinstalling drivers and doing anthing else I could think of, I found this thread and tried the blowing in the headphone jack trick and that worked. THANK YOU!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors