11-06-2014

Oregon

41 Signins

189 Page Views

• Views: 189
  • Message 1 of 44

Yoga 3 Pro battery drain while in sleep mode

2014-11-06, 5:33 AM

Been using my yoga 3 pro for a about a couple weeks now and have had trouble with occasional battery drain overnight while in sleep mode.

I will close the lid to put it to sleep, verify from the blinking power button that it's actually asleep, and then leave it overnight or longer.  Sometimes the battery level is almost the same as when it went to sleep, but sometimes it's completely dead.  It's like it's waking up on its own at some point and not going back to sleep.  But I've never caught it in the act.  And I've always put it to sleep with plenty of battery.

My power settings are set to sleep after 15 min on battery.  I can't find anything else in the settings that would wake it up (no wake timers, etc), and my wireless adapter in device manager is not checked to allow it to wake the laptop.  I've seen threads about this for the Y2P, but those didn't fix mine.  Anyone else encountered this issue?

Options

1336 Posts

12-20-2011

Malaysia

1514 Signins

18326 Page Views

• Views: 18326
  • Message 2 of 44

Re: Yoga 3 Pro battery drain while in sleep mode

2014-11-06, 8:05 AM
Hi curdog,

Can you check in the Lenovo Energy Management if the USB charging is disabled? Also can you try closing all your applications before putting it to sleep and leaving it differently and see if some of the apps have gone "rogue" causing it not to "deep sleep".

Thanks

*Non Lenovo employee*

Options

12 Posts

11-06-2014

Oregon

41 Signins

189 Page Views

• Message 3 of 44

2014-11-06, 8:48 AM

Thanks.  I checked and I don't even think I have lenovo energy management installed.  OneKey Optimizer came with the system, but not sure if that's the replacement for energy management.  I will try shutting down any programs, but the previous time I only had left chrome open.

Btw, the battery drain issue happens when nothing at all is plugged in.

Options

1336 Posts

12-20-2011

Malaysia

1514 Signins

18326 Page Views

• Views: 18326
  • Message 4 of 44

2014-11-06, 16:03 PM
Hi curdog,

Just curious, did you install any other apps? Can you check the task manager if there are any other apps running? Maybe antivirus or some sort.

*Non Lenovo employee*

Options

43 Posts

08-13-2014

United States of America

279 Signins

1427 Page Views

• Views: 1427
  • Message 5 of 44

2014-11-06, 19:14 PM

I'm going to jump into this thread because I just experienced a similar problem.

In my case I customized my Daily power plan to Sleep after 25 minutes and hibernate after 60 minutes.  So yesterday all I had open on my desktop was the Chrome browser on a cooking recipe site.  I noticed the screen and keyboard went off after the expected amount of time, and then I walked away and forgot about it. 

This morning it was completely dead, battery was down to nothing.  So not only did it NOT hibernate, but apparently the sleep mode drained it overnight.  Is there some background Lenovo crapware installed that prevents this machine from sleeping and hibernating reliably?

Options

12 Posts

11-06-2014

Oregon

41 Signins

189 Page Views

• Message 6 of 44

2014-11-07, 0:14 AM

"Just curious, did you install any other apps? Can you check the task manager if there are any other apps running? Maybe antivirus or some sort."

I've kept the installation almost bare so far having installed only chrome browser and office, IIRC.  I did remove a factory program or two, probably from lenovo, but nothing I would have expected to do anything strange.  I'm fairly sure I stopped all applications.  There were a ton of lenovo and other processes, but no applications.  

I'll check tonight and see if it died since last night after killing all apps.

Options

12 Posts

11-06-2014

Oregon

41 Signins

189 Page Views

• Message 7 of 44

2014-11-07, 0:18 AM

Actually does anyone know of a way to check wake/sleep history in win8 and what process initiated it?  I'd like to see if it's actually waking in the middle of the night or if there's some other strange battery drain issue while it's sleeping (where it may actually stay asleep).

EDIT:  JubiLee, I found some instructions in the link below you  may want to try.  I will give it a go tonight.

http://nicholasarmstrong.com/2013/02/debugging-windows-8-wake-issues/

Options

43 Posts

08-13-2014

United States of America

279 Signins

1427 Page Views

• Views: 1427
  • Message 8 of 44

2014-11-07, 7:38 AM

I followed those instructions and discovered from the logs that my machine didn't enter sleep mode at all until the battery ran down nearly 7 hours later. Something prevented it from going to sleep as specified by the power plan in the first place.

I also opened a command prompt and ran:

powercfg /energy

That command generated a report that revealed two errors. The first was:

- Platform Power Management Capabilities: PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

Does anyone know what that means?

The second had to do with a missing or misconfigured driver for Cisco AnyConnect which is the client I use to connect to my company's VPN.  So I'll have to look into that one, but that's not a Lenovo issue.

FWIW I rebooted the machine and it has entered both sleep and hibernate modes according to the power plan a couple of times since then.

Thanks for the link, Curdog. Looks like my problem may not be related to yours unless it's that ASPM thing above.

Options

12 Posts

11-06-2014

Oregon

41 Signins

189 Page Views

• Message 9 of 44

2014-11-19, 6:22 AM

Still haven't been able to debug the issue with my yoga 3.  I've only had it happen a few times, one which where late last night I put the computer to sleep with 65% battery, and it was almost dead by the next evening.  No usb devises or anything else connected.  From the event logs, there are no entries from when it went to sleep to when i woke it up this evening.  So it doesn't appear some program is waking it.

I ran the command above, "powercfg /energy" and pasted part of the report below.   First part says WMP may be preventing it from sleeping, but I had put the computer to sleep manually and don't see any signs of this waking it.  Not sure what USB device it lists in the second entry unless it's just the built-in controller or some internal piece of hardware.

I hope there is no hardware issue that prevents it from going into full sleep such as some issue with the battery or new processor.  Anyone else have any luck?  Looks like i may have to do a full reset it Lenovo doesn't come up with anything.  

Capture.JPG

Options

5379 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39712 Signins

756713 Page Views

• Views: 756713
  • Message 10 of 44

2014-11-19, 15:54 PM

Hi curdog,

The USB device ID is the Intel USB 3.0 controller, so it could be reporting any device hanging off of it:

ven8086dev9cb1.PNG

All my Windows systems stay awake inexplicably from time to time. Sometimes I'm able to identify the responsible device, application, or web page.

If I'm away from power and it's really important to conserve battery, my pragmatic approach is to shut down. Especially with newer systems, this is not a problem since they shut down and boot fast.

I don't think this is a special Yoga 3 Pro problem.

Hope this helps!

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms