11-22-2014

United States of America

5 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 11 of 44

Re: Yoga 3 Pro battery drain while in sleep mode

2014-11-22, 16:41 PM

It's not a Y3 problem - have the same issue with a Y2-11.  Still trying to track the problem down.  It's an intermittent issue.  My settings tell the laptop to hibernate when the lid closes - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.  Light by the power button is always off, but the system doesn't always shut itself down.  Crap shoot on whether the battery (which was already replaced once) will be alive when I open the lid in the morning (or after it's been sitting in the car for a couple of hours).

Same applies to using the SW power button - it might shut down, it might not.  Never had this issue with T-Pads and Win7 and lower.

Bug-ridden Lenovo power-management software?  Win 8.1 vs Power Manager? Norton vs everyone? HW vs SW?

If anyone conclusively finds the culprit, PLEASE circle back and post.

Options

12 Posts

11-06-2014

Oregon

41 Signins

189 Page Views

• Views: 189
  • Message 12 of 44

2014-11-27, 20:17 PM

Bananaman,

thanks for the response.  I still don't believe this is normal behavior.  This is the first laptop I've ever had with this issue, and the real problem is it's entirely unpredictable.  Shutting the laptop down is not a solution either, since I often have lots of work or programs open that I don't want to have to restore every time.  Thing is I don't think the laptop is actually waking, but it's more like it has excessive battery drain in sleep mode.

I've put it to sleep and it's fine for a couple days with only a few % battery drain, but other times, such as last night, I put the system to sleep late at night, & it's dead by morning.  This basically renders sleep mode useless.  I put it sleep and there's no indication that it's awake or using battery - no fan, no screen on, nothing, and the illuminated sleep button remains in the blinking sleep mode the entire time.  Checking the logs doesn't show it waking in the middle of the night by some program or process.  In "lenovo settings" I did find "always on USB," which settings even recommends turning off since it may drain battery, but I even disabled that before having the issue again.

I haven't yet tried disabling automatic updates - not that it's ever been a problem on any other computer of mine.  I still think there's either some major driver issue by lenovo, or hopefully there's no major sleep power draw issue with the core m processors.

I'll try disabling windows updates, and if that doesn't work, then a full restore, I guess.

Options

12 Posts

11-06-2014

Oregon

41 Signins

189 Page Views

• Views: 189
  • Message 13 of 44

2014-11-28, 17:00 PM

Update:  Disabled automatic updates and "always on usb," but still have the problem.  Still can't find anything that may be a fix.  Definitely an issue with this laptop on sleep mode.  Very frustrating - guess i'll have to do full windows reload.

Is there anyone else having same issue and same symptoms?

Options

9 Posts

02-09-2015

novi sad

20 Signins

104 Page Views

• Views: 104
  • Message 14 of 44

2015-02-10, 0:23 AM

Apsolutely the same problem here. Did you find any solution to this? Anyone from Lenovo to help here??

Options

2 Posts

02-11-2015

Glasgow

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 15 of 44

2015-02-11, 20:03 PM

Have had my Y3 for a month now & this is a problem EVERY time the laptop is supposed to sleep. Battery is always drained whenever I leave it in sleep unplugged (starting with full conservation mode charge). Have kept any new app installation etc to a minimum so will be very surprised if that is causing a problem. Not sure if Hibernate even works as the 2 or 3 times I have tried doing that battery has drained even faster. 

Options

42 Posts

02-10-2015

Tucson, AZ

36 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 16 of 44

2015-02-13, 2:01 AM

Greetings, All!

I noticed similar inconsistencies, which I believe come from programs like anti-virus and such that may "wake" the system looking for regular updates. 

Since the boot and shut down times are so fast, the amount of time you save from sleep vs. shutting down is around  a minute, so I would just shut down when I'm planning to be away for more than a couple hours. 

Life's to short to figure out why some things happen on the Yoga 3! I am taking the route of least resistance til someone smarter than me delves into the mysteries of Lenovo hardware and programming! :-)

NG

Options

17 Posts

02-09-2015

Tampa, FL

24 Signins

273 Page Views

• Views: 273
  • Message 17 of 44

2015-02-13, 22:41 PM

I am  experiencing this mystery battery drain in sleep mode too.  I have not removed any pre-installed programs yet.  And I only add the basic stuff: MS Office 10,  Chome Browser, HP printer software and drivers for my external Dell monitor, but that was basically it.  Still drains in Sleep Mode.  Can someone from Lenovo please weight in on this topic?

Options

9 Posts

02-09-2015

novi sad

20 Signins

104 Page Views

• Message 18 of 44

2015-02-14, 14:47 PM

Helooooooo Lenovo people! Please react! This is a serious issue with your flagship product! Another 5 days of this stupidity and I am turning back this peace of rubbish back to your dealer! I absolutely can't believe that this is happening and that there is no solution to this. I am advanced user - disabled applications from waking the machine, optimized the power settings, flashed the BIOS, and did pretty much everything that can be done by user to solve this and still - nothing! Draining continues on sleep and makes this machine totally worthless. The point of having a laptop is, besides other things, to have the ability rely on your battery power and use it in accordance. With this, I could have just bought amazingly powerful desktop machine instead. Been using Toshiba laptops for past 6 years and never been to service. For the first time I buy Lenovo product for not small amount of money and this is wath I get... Shame on you!

Options

9 Posts

02-09-2015

novi sad

20 Signins

104 Page Views

• Message 19 of 44

2015-02-15, 14:52 PM

UPDATE:

I just foud out that this machine drains the battery even when turned off. I had bought new, unpacked lenovo yoga3 pro from authorised dealer a month ago. Today, i had full battery, machine shut down. After three hours i switched on the laptop and the battery was on 75%. What in the hell is going on, will somebody tell me?  

Options

2 Posts

02-11-2015

Glasgow

2 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 20 of 44

2015-02-15, 20:10 PM

Just to give an update. Left the machine on sleep for 24 hrs unplugged, Battery drained as expected. Upon reboot there wer some Windows updates that needed to be installed. So it seems as though system woke up to dload these.
Checked Event viewer to investigate & found 14 events in the span of 2 hrs marked as UserModePowerService. 

All of these had the following info - 

Process C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Harmony\Setting\HarmonySettingService.exe (process ID:1860) reset policy scheme from {6628ef4a-f423-4415-828f-f7866e731197} to {6628ef4a-f423-4415-828f-f7866e731197}

Can anyone chime in on this? Does it look as though it is the Harmony settings that are waking the system up? 
Any way we I get rid of this harmony nonsense from my machine? 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms