02-09-2015

novi sad

20 Signins

104 Page Views

• Views: 104
  • Message 31 of 44

Re: Yoga 3 Pro battery drain while in sleep mode

2015-02-24, 11:29 AM

UPDATE: Hey everybody. I just noticed the weirdest thing and think it is connected with the battery drain issue. When I put my ear on the place just below the windows button on the screen (the lid is open) i hear the strange SQUEAKY sound as if something is still working inside. Note that this is happening when the machine is SHUT DOWN! And that means without cable plugged in or any peripherals in usb ports. That means that something inside is working and consuming the battery power even when the machine is shut down. Place your ear on the spot I mentioned and tell me do you hear the same?

Options

5 Posts

02-12-2015

Germany

12 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 32 of 44

2015-02-24, 12:15 PM

Hi Tomas,
thanks so much for the update! Gives some hope on that anoying topic! Already prepared a stick with a fresh 8.1, will re-install tonight.

@Serjoza

Will check that and give a feedback tonight.

Options

9 Posts

02-09-2015

novi sad

20 Signins

104 Page Views

• Message 33 of 44

2015-02-24, 12:18 PM

@ mp80 .. I already did everything Tomas wrote. No improvement whatsoever. Hope you'll be more lucky.

Options

42 Posts

02-10-2015

Tucson, AZ

36 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 34 of 44

2015-02-24, 16:09 PM
Dear mp80,

So sorry to hear of your troubles with the battery. The tech support sounds
infuriating. :-(
I'm curious, though: not all of us are experiencing this dramatic a battery
discharge. E.g., yesterday I had my Yoga 3 in sleep mode for about 5 hours
with no loss of battery life at all!
Could your Yoga 3 be a) a lemon (ie, defective) or b) somehow configured
differently than others?
Maybe a listing of software might elicit some issues? E.g., on my machine,
the antivirus software uses a lot of memory and power. I'm sure you've
looked at that, but do others have insights? What else could explain such
differences in performance? I'm assuming that if more folks were
experiencing such drain it would be more apparent on the forums, but so far
it only seems a few have it....?
Best of luck -
NG

Options

5 Posts

02-12-2015

Germany

12 Signins

56 Page Views

• Message 35 of 44

2015-02-24, 17:33 PM

Dear notgeorge,

thanks for following up on that! Yes, the support is currently not what I'm used to get when calling Lenovo. My company's IT is all about them, so I have a wide range of products and service to compare. Guess I got a trainee this morning. :)

The software keeping the machine awake was one of my first ideas when I got the yoga in middle december and recognized the short battery life. Even if I was on vacation at that time and used it mainly for browsing and reading kindle books, some cloud syncing tools ran in the background and I bet on them. So, first thing I did was rolling back to factory settings. Then installed windows updates, kindle app, nothing else! No anti-virus, no sync, just left it that way. Helped battery to ~4 hours.

Then I recognized the draining during sleep. Charged to 100% disconnected and set it on side, sleeping. Opened next morning (~6 hours), getting a battery value of 74%. The led on the power button blinked, no static light.

Read here that it might wake up and falls back to sleep over night, so I set it in front of a webcam next night (see, like to investigate ;) ): It didn't put on the static light even one time next night. But drained to 76%.

January brought an BIOS update. Had some hope but got disappointed again.

Lenovo support (the first, called them 30th dec 14) sent me an lable to get it repaired. I will use that, if I don't succeed with that last try of tomas directions. Would have done that before, but I need it everyday for work. -.-

Options

5 Posts

02-12-2015

Germany

12 Signins

56 Page Views

• Message 36 of 44

2015-02-25, 17:35 PM

Ok guys,

Tomas' solution seems to work for me! Walked through his procedure yesterday about that time and then unpluggt the laptop. So it took an almost 24h nap now. Battery is down to 94% now, what means it lost 6% in 24h. That's an acceptable value.

And I can confirm the noise below the Display while sleeping, but as I know that one from my ThinkPad T420, which looses almost no battery while sleeping, I guess that's not related to the issue.

Options

5 Posts

02-18-2015

slovakia

14 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 37 of 44

2015-02-25, 23:30 PM

mp80, hope you will succeed with lenovo support, it is a shame that for you "my workaround" does not work :( this is really frustrating issue.

Options

1042 Posts

07-14-2010

Canada

3945 Signins

17518 Page Views

• Views: 17518
  • Message 38 of 44

2015-02-26, 3:09 AM

I'll see if I can offer some diagnostic information. I can confirm this happens on my Y3P as well.

The Core M processor doesn't seem to support Connected Standby, so I cannot do a sleep study on the unit. However, I can see that the units supports the following modes:

Standby (S3)
Hibernate
Hybrid Sleep
Fast Startup

Hybrid Sleep is off by default, as it is meant for desktop systems. Thus, it is safe to assume we're putting the system into S3 sleep.

Microsoft describes S3 as follows:

System Power State S3

System power state S3 is a sleeping state with the following characteristics:

Power consumption

Less consumption than in state S2. Processor is off and some chips on the motherboard also might be off.

Software resumption

After the wake-up event, control starts from the processor's reset vector.

Hardware latency

Almost indistinguishable from S2.

System hardware context

Only system memory is retained. CPU context, cache contents, and chipset context are lost.

Although Wake Lock Timers are disabled, Wake Events can still occur. However, I have no entries for waking scenarios apart from my own manual wakes.

I'll look into the UEFI BIOS to see if there are some power options that would keep the unit awake.

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Options

42 Posts

02-10-2015

Tucson, AZ

36 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 39 of 44

2015-02-26, 5:54 AM

Woe is me! My battery just pulled a similar stunt today, going from 99% charged to 0% in 15 minutes!!! 

So I followed another thread on using One Key Optimizer to chnage battery settings to Conservation, which limits the battery charge to ca. 60%. Is this a good thing??

Another suggestion (see the thread on Battery Charging Problems) said try uninstalling the ACPI (?) under Battery in Device Manager. I seem ok for now, but after 30 minutes use, already down to 46% battery life? 

To paraphrase The Smiths, there are brighter sides to the Yoga 3, and I should know, because I've seen them, but not very often. :smileyhappy:

I am not happy with this machine anymore, and beyond the return date. Scared to do Tomas' fix of reinstalling 8.1 as I am on a deadline and can't deal with the time, stress, and my own ignorance as to quite what this will do. 

Alack-a-day! 

More ideas? 

Cheers, 

NG

Options

9 Posts

02-09-2015

novi sad

20 Signins

104 Page Views

• Message 40 of 44

2015-02-26, 8:33 AM

Here's an idea for you - return this expencive piece of s**** back to your dealer, demand money - back and buy something that doesn't make you want to smash it with your bare hands. Because, that's how my one month experience with this machine was like. Your girlfriend will like the apperiance but everything else just make you want to scream at Lenovo's QA. What the hell were you people thinking putting this out on the market with that price and that level of inconsistency??  This was certainly my first and the last Lenovo machine. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms