Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sidjoyner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,008
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 3 Pro on Sale or Yoga 900?

I'm a longtime Thinkpad enthusiast.  I owned an IBM Thinkpad T42 for 10 years as my main laptop even though I went through a system board and about 5 fans to keep it running amongst other things - i must have loved it. (I also owned three other lower-end Thinkpads to keep around the house during that time.) When my T42 finally died and I decided to finally send all the Thinkpads to the big recycling graveyard in the sky a couple years ago, I bought the original Yoga 13. I've enjoyed it. But it died on me quite unexpectedly a few weeks ago and I've been unable to fix it. It doesn't boot at all, just when you power it on with either the power button or novo button, fans are whirring full speed, nothing on the screen, no reaction to F2, etc, and it powers off after about 40 seconds. I'm hoping replacing the system board may fix the problem - and PLEASE, any suggestions would be appreciated - but in the meantime, I've decided to get another Ideapad Yoga. I usually like having a couple laptops anyway as I have a home with multiple floors.

My question is for those of you own the Yoga 3 Pro and the newly released Yoga 900. My tendency is always to go for the latest model as I'm a technology guy. But the Yoga 900 base model is $1,199. Cyber week sales have brought the Yoga 3 Pro down to $699. That's quite a bit of difference. Substantial. I'd be interested in any feedback, comments, suggestions, recommendations, especially from those who have owned both on which you would buy considering the price difference.

As for anyone interested in my previous post on my Yoga 13 problem in which I got no replies, here is a link to the post. Thanks.

Yoga 13 Problem

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,998
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 3 Pro on Sale or Yoga 900?

Hi,

Here's a video that may give you some things to consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZdoVV9pv88

Off the top, the Yoga 900 sports a stronger CPU, USB-C, and function keys.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

sidjoyner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,923
Message 3 of 5

So, I've had the opportunity to obtain both these models for my use until early January. I've had the Yoga 900 for almost a month now and the Yoga 3 Pro for only about a week. So I have a few more weeks to make a decision - one of them is going back. These are my preliminary observations that are of note:

• The Yoga 900 battery life is MUCH superior to the Yoga 3 Pro - as to be expected with a 50% larger battery. However, the Yoga 3 Pro's battery life isn't bad. I may change my mind about this in the next few weeks.
  • I also certainly prefer the Yoga 900 keyboard with its extended keyset (including function keys) over the reduced set of keys of the Yoga Pro 3.
  • The screen display seems to be identical, which is to say very good. The 5300 graphics set vs. the 5200 doesn't seem to matter much to me. However, on battery, the Yoga 900 display is much brighter by default  I'm assuming due to battery life considerations. If I jack up the screen brightness on the Yoga 3 Pro (which I must with my eyes), I may see a real deterioration in the battery life that may be unpalatable. I hope not.
  • This one is baffling, but the trackpad on the Yoga 900 I have quite frankly sucks. The one on the Yoga Pro 3 seems to be much better is response, functionality, and construction quality. I'm often frustrated with the trackpad on the 900 when trying to resize windows, copy and paste, etc to the point I wonder if the trackpad I have is defective - or did they just replace the trackpad on the 900 with an inferior device.
  • As far as the Yoga 900 i7 vs. the Pro 3 Core M, I just don't think it matters much to me. I'm not doing or planning on doing CPU intensive things like Photoshop on the computers. I run a CPU meter on both machines and they rarely get above 10% usage. However, I am a bit concerned that RAM usage is usually over 65% on both machines (they both have 8GB RAM) and I've barely loaded anything on them except the Windows 10 (1511)  software. I am running 8 pack gadget set which sems to be a CPU hog, but only the clock, calendar, cpu meter, and weather gadgets.
  • I am very concerned that I've read in a online review of the Yoga 900 that the RAM is soldered to the system board so you can't upgrade the RAM if you wanted to, thus you better buy the 16GB version because you won't be able to upgrade an 8GB Yoga 900. Really?? In 2015, Lenovo is making their computers not upgradable? Seems like something Apple would do. Is this true? (I haven't had a chance to download the HMM yet.)
  • The 900 is slightly larger and heavier, but it actually feels like a more solid construction and it's still very light.
  • I prefer the branding of the new 900 with the YOGA logo on the outside rather than Lenovo. I currently have the Yoga 900 in silver and the Yoga 3 Pro in clementine orange. I really like the orange for the Yoga Pro 3, although I notice the hinge is still in silver. I have the Yoga 900 in silver and if I decide to keep the 900, it will be traded for a champagne gold - which I understand the hinge in the 900 will be the same color as the rest of the exterior (much better). The silver is much too boring.

Bottom line is that I consider (so far) the Yoga 900 to be the superior machine - as to be expected. But when I consider the price....wow. I'm buying the Yoga 3 Pro from Lenovo for $699 (+ sales tax) whereas the Yoga 900 is $1,199 (+ sales tax). I'm the type of guy who really likes to buy the latest and best technology when I buy, but this difference is way too much for what I'm getting. I could change my mind in the next few weeks, but as of now, I'll keeping the Yoga 3 Pro (and more than $500) and sending the Yoga 900 back.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,918
Message 4 of 5

I've got both machines on my bench, but not a lot of "seat" time with either yet.  A couple of comments:

RAM is soldered in both of these Yogas.  You want skinny, you do w/out sockets, I guess.  At least the 900 can be had w/16GB.

IMNSHO, all touchpads suck Smiley Wink  If it isn't a ThinkPad with a TrackPoint I use an N700 mouse.

Thanks for you detailed comments.  Should give others something to consider.  Good luck and enjoy whichever you choose.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Stealth01
Punch Card
Views: 2,903
Message 5 of 5

I have both machines... For me I purchased the 900 for the I7 processor, the battery and the 16 gigs of RAM!  I seldom use the touch pad, so no comment there.  I like the feel of the 900 build and disliked the M processor in the 3 PRO.  I preferred the keyboad backlighting on the 3 versus the expanded key board on the 900.  For me, it would be the I7/16 Gig Ram (which I did) 900 without ever looking back!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors