Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

03-22-2015

Australia

4 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 1 of 12

Yoga 3 Pro wifi adapter gone

2015-03-22, 23:15 PM

Hi All,

The wireless adapter has disappeared!

It was working well for 6 months and Saturday it stopped connecting.
It reconnected Sunday briefly, but this morning  will not connect again .

If I go into 'Change adapter settings' in windows there is no wireless adapter, only bluetooth.

I have used device manager to search for the device, reinstalled the wireless drivers, gone into BIOS and disabled and re-enabled the Wireless there, but the device just will not appear.

Any ideas, or is it time to return it under warrenty.

Shame as it has worked flawlessly for 4 months

Options

1 Posts

06-15-2015

Vietnam

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: Yoga 3 Pro wifi adapter gone

2015-06-15, 2:58 AM

I have same exactly case. I had download anf install broadcom wifi driver from lenovo, but it said: no hardware available.

Options

3 Posts

07-19-2015

Philippines

5 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 3 of 12

2015-07-19, 10:38 AM

I bought my yoga 3 pro last May 24, 2015 - i started using it only June 6 (just a month and a half).  At first everything was great. until july 9 (july13/15/18/19) when i lost the wifi and cannot even find the network adapter, i had it restore to default.  nothing happened.  wifi will just appear in-between and connect and then disappear when i switch it on again the next day... i tried leaving it on sleep mode the same scenario wifi disappers when i wake it up.  repeating the same scenario and so on...  i have already downloaded intel wifi driver, broadcom and still the same, cannot detect or no wifi...im now using an ethernet adapter connected to a LAN cable to my router.  I have 2 laptops (asus / toshiba) 2 and 3yrs old respectively placed beside my lenovo and their wifi is working well...

can anyone help me pls...

backing up and restoring is annoying and this should not be the case for that matter... this is not a cheap laptop.. $1399.  Im using my laptop for my business...

I've downloaded and installed/reinstalled the intel / broadcom driver, updated windows, restore to default settings, etc.

I've read in the forum that the wifi issue has been there since yoga 2 pro release... so this should not happen to yoga 3 pro anymore.

There is a suggestion to buy and install a 7260NGW Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11ac, Dual Band, 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 - will this work?  if i had it installed, will this void the warranty? or shall i ask the lenovo service center to install it for me...

can i return the lenovo laptop?  get a refund or have it replaced or get a credit memo and pick a different unit or model?  i bought the unit from bestbuy.

Thank you.

Options

2 Posts

07-23-2015

Denmark

6 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 4 of 12

2015-07-24, 7:54 AM

Hi,

I also ran into this weird issue, but I was using Ubuntu 15.04 and trying to reconnect (due to weak signal, its antenna is much weaker than my phone's wifi!) when the OS froze, rebooted and WiFi adapter was gone without a trace as if it was physically removed (it was not present even in lspci scan! meaning that no amount of driver/OS reinstall can get it back!). It was still enabled in BIOS, I tried disabling and enabling it there, booting into windows back and forth, upgraded BIOS, updated windows drivers -- no luck. The Windows device manager also did not show the WLAN adapter meaning that no amount of driver fidling can detect it -- it's just gone.

Finally this is what seemed to help:

1) power off and hold the power button for at least 10s until its light becomes off and then it flashes red (and comes back to white if power adapter is attached). Boot into Windows -- this has brought back the wlan adapter for one boot, after reboot to Linux it was gone again. Tried this multiple times, but adapter kept disapearing after boot into Linux.

2) change the BIOS/UEFI boot order to boot Windows directly (without getting into grub which offers option to boot Linux), poweroff, hold the power button until it flashes red once, and boot Windows, run windows update -- and voila, this seems to be bring back the adapter when booting to Linux too.

Conclusion: there is something fishy going on between Windows, BIOS/UEFI and WLAN adapter, perhaps some firmware gets prepared/reset and Linux does not do that, or perhaps it's NSA distributing its firmware updates...

I hope it does not disappear after I reboot next time.

Options

3 Posts

07-19-2015

Philippines

5 Signins

36 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2015-07-24, 8:27 AM

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. 

I will surely take note of the solution you recommended

I just sent back my laptop to the service center the 2nd time around.

I told them that the fix they made the 1st time lasted only for 1-day.

If they get to fix the issue, i will post and share the solution as well.

Pls do keep me posted also if your solution works just fine...

Regards.

Options

2 Posts

07-23-2015

Denmark

6 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 6 of 12

2015-07-24, 8:58 AM

Hi Carlo1,

did they say what they did? did they fiddle with hardware?

Note that this issue is probably not Yoga3 specific: the internet is litered with disappearing wlan adapters from laptops. Except perhaps yoga3 has poor antenna and hence more prone to this problem...

Perhaps wlan adapter gets stuck in a bad state (due to firmware bug or so) and hence does not register in hardware scans, perhaps a real power off cycle is all that is needed to reset it, but unfortunately on laptop the power is always there and the adapter is never truely powered off (unless battery is physically disconnected or through special power button sequence, but it really needs a long poweroff break).

Options

3 Posts

07-19-2015

Philippines

5 Signins

36 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2015-07-24, 9:37 AM

Hello Mariusm,

Accdng to the service center iam not the 1st to bring the same yoga 3 laptop in their service center with the same issue on Wifi.  The poor antenna should not be an issue bec the wifi router is just behind me (a meter away).  Maybe the  signal is weak but what i don't understand is why i can't locate the wifi adapter in the device manager, even after i have installed and reinstalled it. 

I just called the service center and accdng to them they cannot find the source of the problem even after they have re-installed windows just like what i did before.  They are recommending to replace main board.  Other than the wifi issue, the laptop works just fine... 

The next question now is, since it is under warranty (just bought is May 24, 2105), will they just repair it or replace it. 

Thank you.

Options

9644 Posts

12-27-2009

Canada

3314 Signins

95288 Page Views

• Views: 95288
  • Message 8 of 12

2015-08-09, 3:34 AM
This happened twice for me so far; not sure what caused it, and not sure how it fixed itself both times.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Options

3 Posts

06-01-2018

Armenia

9 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 9 of 12

2018-06-01, 16:12 PM

Hi!!!

I have same problem now.

Can You say what happened with your laptop after back in service?

Best Regards,

davoimail94

Options

1 Posts

06-03-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 10 of 12

2018-06-03, 15:43 PM

Having the same issue. In the morning it worked perfectly but on the afternoon something happened and now the driver or something is gone. On one page I found where it said it was disconnected but not sure how or its it possible to recconnect it. All help is greatly appreciated.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms