Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Revihs
What's DOS?
Views: 14,549
Message 1 of 20

Yoga 3 Pro with Windows 10 freezes when moved

A couple of weeks ago I did a clean install of Windows 10, and it has been running smooth since then.

The last day, Windows 10 has been freezing constantly. After som digging, i realized Windows was freezing when i moved the laptop (not shutting down or anything, just picking it up from my lap was enough). I have tested my theory several times, and every time i lift the laptop up from the surface it freezes.

It only happens in Windows, tried running the recovery application (outside windows), and I can move the laptop freely without it ever freezing.

Any clues?

Edit: Oddly enough, this behavior only happens when the WiFi adapter is enabled in Device Manager. I can add that yesterday, after the system froze, the wifi adapter disappeared from device manager all together. Had to disable/enable in BIOS to get it back.

Jack155Q4
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,323
Message 2 of 20

Re: Yoga 3 Pro with Windows 10 freezes when moved

Hi,

Glad to see this thread. My Y3Pro with Windows 10 has exactly the same problem.

I just tried disabling the Wi-Fi adaptor and it was fine when moving it aroundd but just after I re-enabled and then started moving around it frooze up again.

Looking forward to see if we can get a resolution.

Thanks,

Jack

Revihs
What's DOS?
Views: 14,317
Message 3 of 20

Not sure if you are happy to hear my response, but I eventually ended up trying to restore the computer back to it's factory configuration with Windows 8.1. Surprisingly, after restoring to Windows 8.1, everything worked fine again. No freezing, WiFi working properly, everything back to normal.

After that, I did a clean Windows 10 install, and it is now working fine with Windows 10.

I would guess a clean Windows 10 install would do the trick as well, but I was as far down the road that I considered returning it for repairs. As it is a PC I use for work, I had to wipe everything before sending it in anyways, so I figured the factory reset would do that job.

Jack155Q4
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,303
Message 4 of 20

Thank you. After reding about the Wi-Fi being the issue I looked at the drivers update page and saw that there is a Windows 10 driver. I downloaded that and it appears to have reslolved the issue. No freezes yet and I have been moving the laptop all over the place.

There were many other driver updates to apply. I have installed them all now and seems well.

ralden
What's DOS?
Views: 14,198
Message 5 of 20

I've had the same problem:  Yoga3 Pro freezes upon movement of laptop, with System 10 ... display freezes, NO response to pointing devices nor CONTROL/ALT/DELETE ... reboot is only remedy. 

I have now updated Broadcom WiFi Adapter to lastest driver for Sys10 (per Lenovo website and this thread), and problem has "mostly" gone away.   Now, laptop sensitivity to movement is much much reduced (say by 90%), but I did have one freeze with movement so far. 

This tells me sensitivity to movement is reduced, but not eliminated.   Hard to believe a SW driver update to Broadcom WiFi Adapter has such impact on laptop sensitivity to movement!#?.   I do hope Lenovo/Broadcom figure this out. 

Any additional remedy to consider ?  (e.g., update WiFi adapter card HW?) 

Jack155Q4
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,176
Message 6 of 20

I too find it very odd that a driver update can help.
Mine seems fine now but I do sometimes come to it to find that it has shut down without me doing so. I need to check the event logs and power settings to see what is happening.
jimmy87
What's DOS?
Views: 13,565
Message 7 of 20

Hi all,

I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 pro. I began experiencing the same problem described in this and other forums "the laptop freezes when moving the screen" after updating to Windows 10. Besides the fact that it is a very odd behaviour after reading lots of posts it seems as the problem is in the driver of the wireless adapter. I would like to share my solution, perhaps it can help others.

I did not find any driver update that would fix the problem, the only way the problem stopped was by disabling the Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter. It is a shame that such an expensive computer is experiencing this issue, I can remember I was doubting between the Lenovo and a Mac Book Pro, I perhaps made the wrong choice, so be it.

The drawback is ofcourse this laptop depends on the Wlan adaptor for internet. I bougth 150Mbs Wireless N Nano USB Adapter from TP-LINK (that works for Windows 10). I still have a spare usb port for the daily use and the wlan usb is little enough to leave it in place. Now I can at least bend my laptop again and it won't freeze.

All the best,

Jimmy

Benovo
Paper Tape
Views: 13,437
Message 8 of 20

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem. Freezes when the display is moved. For the moment I have the Broadcom Wifi Adapter disabled in the Device Manager (which is not a solution as I can't use WiFi now!) but at least I can keep working.

Revihs' approach (full system restore / go back to factory configuration with Windows 8.1) did not work for me.

I have the impression that it is a hardware problem (with the display's Coax cable, according to 

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2721547/yoga-pro-freezes-constantly.html). Is there any definitive solution to this problem, which seems to be a general problem on Yoga 3 Pros?

tclanton01
What's DOS?
Views: 12,897
Message 9 of 20

I have the same exact problem.  I reloaded the Broadcom 802 network adapter and it is better.  As long as i don't move the screen I am good to go.  I reloaded Windows 10 with no effect except a lot of hassle.  Waiting for someone to figure this out.  

Jack155Q4
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,283
Message 10 of 20

Strangely this started happening again a couple of weeks ago, a lot! I had made no changes.

I re-downloaded the driver from support which was actually the same version number since my last post.

I installed it but oddly when I checked the version number post install it was rolled back to a much older version (I didn't make a note of the number). I then used the Device Manager to do an update and that worked and took it up to the new version number (same as which is listed on the Lenovo downloads page but with a different date). Since doing this I have had no problems.

A very strange laptop it is!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors