Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lewis94
Paper Tape
Views: 3,606
Message 1 of 12

Yoga 3 Pro won't turn on

Last night I was using the laptop and didn't notice the battery was almost dead. After it died I turned it back on and used it for a few more minutes, when it suddenly shut down with no warning. When I tried to turn it back on, the orange battery light flashed twice (with it plugged in). After a few more attempts, it now does nothing when I press the on button, no lights or anything. Same thing whether plugged in or not.

Also, half the Torx screws appear to be stripped all of a sudden, so I can't remove the battery either. Help?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,598
Message 2 of 12

Re: Yoga 3 Pro won't turn on

The situation seems "not great", but fixable.  I get machines that someone has already "fixed", so I see some messes.  There is no reset button.  You were doing what I would so, disconnect the main battery, but stripping the screw heads makes things difficult.  Usually, torx screws are hard to strip if you are careful and the driver fits, but it can happen.  I use a reverse-thread 2mm bit in a drill set to spin backwards.  (just as I would do if they were philips screws)   I drill slowly through the head and either the head starts to spin by itself, meaning it is no longer connected to the shaft, or, more likely, the whole screw spins out.  Obviously, the screws will need to be replaced.  You can use a normal philips 3mm or 3.5mm screw.  If some of the heads came off without the shafts, there should be enough to grab with a small pair of vice grips. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lewis94
Paper Tape
Views: 3,532
Message 3 of 12

It turned out the screwdriver was the issue, not the screws. Picked up another one and it worked like a charm.

Is there anything else I should do besides removing the battery? I read something about removing the RAM too.

lewis94
Paper Tape
Views: 3,528
Message 4 of 12

Removing the battery did nothing. **bleep**!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,522
Message 5 of 12

If you try a T-4 torx, it seems like it fits, but the driver is too small and you don't get much traction.  It is really T-5.  I would just unplug the battery.  Let it sit for a minute or two with battery disconnected and push the power button a couple of times before plugging the battery in.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

lewis94
Paper Tape
Views: 3,484
Message 6 of 12

Nope, unplugging the battery didn't work.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,474
Message 7 of 12

I don't remember if there is a way to disconnect the CMOS battery on the underside of the motherboard. 

Rich

DougTX
What's DOS?
Views: 3,043
Message 8 of 12

Have this problem been fixed and how?  My Yoga 3 Pro now experience the same thing and I removed its battery won't help also.

DougTX
What's DOS?
Views: 3,042
Message 9 of 12

Have this problem been fixed and how?  My Yoga 3 Pro now having the same issue. I removed its battery won't help.

oz_ezekiel
Paper Tape
Views: 2,689
Message 10 of 12

did you get it fixed? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors