cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaws2
Paper Tape
Views: 498
Message 1 of 8

Yoga 3 adapter doesn't work on United Airlines outlets. Why? Any thing I can do to make it work?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 487
Message 2 of 8

Re: Yoga 3 adapter doesn't work on United Airlines outlets. Why? Any thing I can do to make it work

Are you plugging in the 2-prong AC or the connector that looks like a USB?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Jaws2
Paper Tape
Views: 458
Message 3 of 8

Re: Yoga 3 adapter doesn't work on United Airlines outlets. Why? Any thing I can do to make it work

Plugging in 2-prong into AC outlet. Works at home, works at work, works in hotels, doesn't work on United. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 454
Message 4 of 8

I think it should work.  I believe UAL AC outlets are supposed to put out up to 75W and the normal Yoga 3 charger only draws 40W.  Maybe there is an initial higher draw when it's first plugged in???

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SeniorGuru
Views: 447
Message 5 of 8

I've been on flights where one or the other seat back outlet (AC or USB) didn't work. Did you try the AC charger on more than one flight?

Paper Tape
Views: 427
Message 6 of 8

iPhone 5W charger works fine in the same socket that the Yoga 3 doesn't work in. 

Jaws2
Paper Tape
Views: 425
Message 7 of 8

resonable theory. Does anyone know if there is an over-current trigger circuit on the United ?  Is there anything I can do to limit a surge current ?

More data. iPhone 5W charger works fine in the same socket that the Yoga 3 doesn't work in. On some planes, wiggling the Yoga 3 adapter prongs side to side will get power. And keeping the adapter fixed in that position will keep charging going, but moving it will cause disconnect. Other planes the wiggling doesn't work.  Sounds mechanical, but the iPhone prongs and the Yoga prongs look identical in size. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 417
Message 8 of 8

@Jaws2 wrote:

resonable theory. Does anyone know if there is an over-current trigger circuit on the United ?  Is there anything I can do to limit a surge current ?

I believe there is. Also some in-air power systems the maximum power limit is shared by two or more seats. So I'd check to see if anyone else in my row is plugged in. If so perhaps they'd be willing to temporarily unplug while you see if your charger works.

To minimize power surge, start by plugging in just the AC charger. Then plug its DC cord into the Yoga. Then power on the Yoga. (One further measure would be to remove the battery while plugged in but that's not practical with notebooks that have non-removable batteries.)

More data. iPhone 5W charger works fine in the same socket that the Yoga 3 doesn't work in. On some planes, wiggling the Yoga 3 adapter prongs side to side will get power. And keeping the adapter fixed in that position will keep charging going, but moving it will cause disconnect. Other planes the wiggling doesn't work.  Sounds mechanical, but the iPhone prongs and the Yoga prongs look identical in size. 

Weird. Modern AC chargers use switching technology rather than a heavy transformer. They're more sensitive to the quality of the AC, i.e. if the wave isn't sinusoidal they may malfunction. This can also be an issue with UPS devices. I don't know why wiggling the AC plug in the outlet would fix that. Perhaps the charger circuitry is very sensitive to glitches. Or perhaps this is some sort of grounding issue.

Something else to try. In my experience the back seat outlets tend to be loose fitting due to the heavy use they get. Bring a short extension cord or power bar. Plug it into the back seat outlet then the charger into it. With an extension cord you can experiment with spreading the prongs out a bit to get a secure mechanical connection without the risk of damaging the charger unit itself.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors