cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 22,321
Message 1 of 235

Yoga 3 pro Win 10 Upgrade Observation Thread

Just upgraded the Window on a Yoga 3 pro and everything seems to be working fine.

The entire process starting from downloading windows to the final install took about 3.5 hours. The Windows download is about 6GB for the 64bit version.

I had to apply all previous Win 8.1 updates and then start the download using the 64 bit tool in this link -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

1) Did not need to update any drivers. Wifi and sound are working fine.

2) I have disabled harmony so cannot really comment on Transition but observed that the transition is being recognized only between laptop and Tablet mode. (Images included)

3) In Tablet mode, the trackpad did not get disabled. (Dont remember how it was in Win 8.1 but I think it used to be disabled)

I will update more observations tomorrow however below are a few screenshots of the final stage of installation and Windows 10 -

http://imgur.com/a/5e5EC#0

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
pastafarian
Token Ring
Views: 22,237
Message 2 of 235

Re: Yoga 3 pro Win 10 Upgrade Observation Thread

Thanks!!! I would guess the transition issues are a Lenovo driver thing? Possibly upgrading /installing the dependencies package will resolve it? I do use tent mode occasionally and more importantly, if the touchpad is not disabled in all but laptop mode? I'll hold off on the upgrade till that's resolved. I use 10 on another non touch machine and most of the issues I have with 8.1 are corrected with classic shell, so I don't view 10 as a necessity right now. What I hope will happen with 10 becoming the dominant OS is a drastic improvement in apps. The lack of and general poor quality of apps makes win a no go as a tablet OS for me.
Cubo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 22,221
Message 3 of 235

Hi,

I Upgraded a Yoga 3 yesterday to Win 10.

The upgrade went well and it took a couple of ours.

But, when was the time for the final reboot for the new OS the wifi didn't work.

The model is a Yoga 3 pro 1370 and I looked for the networks drivers

I saw that they had a drivers from (Broadcom WLAN Driver) and it was from 2014.

I found on the support web page a new one for windows 10 and i updated.

file: 4abe01af.exe

Unfortunately I still have the problem

no connection. I can see the wifi and I can connect to them but i cannot use. I cannot see other devices in the network and I have no access to Internet.

Guru
Views: 22,208
Message 4 of 235

Hi pastafarian

I would say yes the transition is a Lenovo drivers thing and I read that Lenovo Transition is incompatible with WIn 10 at the moment. However, I need to test by enabling Harmony, if the transitions start working again or not. Since I mostly use it in Laptop mode, I had disabled most lenovo apps (which annoyed me).

To confirm again, in the first test the touchpad was not disabled, the keyboard was disabled in tablet mode.

At the moment upgrading the Lenovo apps (or dependency packages) may not resolve the issues, as the updated drivers are not released yet (as far as I know).

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 22,199
Message 5 of 235

FWIW: I upgraded my Y3P this morning.  Went with the pre-reservation and in-place upgrade instead of an ISO download.  Just to feel the pain...

There wasn't really any pain - so far.  The actual upgrade process took ~25 minutes.  Wifi survived. Even existing bluetooth associations.  Touchpad is not disabled in tablet mode Smiley Sad

Will try a from-ISO clean install at some later date.  One thing I note from the in-place update is that there's a lot of main drive space used.  After things settle down I'll look into what can be deleted.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Guru
Views: 22,185
Message 6 of 235

Hi Cubo

I can recommend a few solutions (which others have tried) -

1) Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapter

2) Right click on the Wireless adapater and click Uninstall.

3) Restart the laptop and wait for the original drivers to install again.

4) Test the Wifi.

5) If it still doesnt work in Step 4, download the latest drivers for Win 10 64bit from Lenovo website and install those.

EDIT -

6) Instead of Step 5, I have seen a new driver  for the WLAN (release on 7/17/2015). To install this, go to the Control Panel > Device manager > Network adapter. Select and right click the WLAN card and select Update driver.

If that doesnt work -

1) Shutdown your laptop for half an hour USING the hard shutdown button (on the right side).

2) Start and then test the wifi.

If that doesnt work then -

1) Setup a (hidden) OPEN network on your router.

2) Enter the hidden network SSID on your Yoga 3 Pro

3) Connect to it, see if that works.

Also, Did you have any VPN client installed prior to upgrade?

(like CISCO)

Guru
Views: 22,183
Message 7 of 235

Thank Z. for your input.

About the disk space usage, what I did was clicked the reserve button (and since I read it can take too long), downloaded the media creation tool as well.

I proceeded to install via the media creation tool which created a new folder ( C:\$windows.~WT )and started downloading windows, ending up at a folder size of 5.67GB

I think the reserve button loader also downloaded files in another folder ( C:\$windows.~BT ) which was of 3.67 GB at the end.

Do you have both folders or just one?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 22,172
Message 8 of 235

@rockykoston wrote:

I proceeded to install via the media creation tool which created a new folder ( C:\$windows.~WT )and started downloading windows, ending up at a folder size of 5.67GB

I think the reserve button loader also downloaded files in another folder ( C:\$windows.~BT ) which was of 3.67 GB at the end.

Do you have both folders or just one?

I only have C:\$Windows.~BT.  It was ~6.6GB before the install and is now ~3.7GB.  C:\WIndows.old is ~16GB.

My Y3P was pretty close to OOBE when I did the upgrade.  Just a couple of things installed.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 22,157
Message 9 of 235

@Cubo wrote:

Unfortunately I still have the problem

no connection. I can see the wifi and I can connect to them but i cannot use. I cannot see other devices in the network and I have no access to Internet.

Hi Cubo,

My Y3P WiFi would not connect after the W10 upgrade... eventually I restarted the WiFi access point... and it started working. Not sure what that was about, but it's still working.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Guru
Views: 22,151
Message 10 of 235

I noticed a couple of things with mine:

touchpad remains operational in tablet mode, additionally The touchpad disable button does not work(Fn + Delete)

Cortana says the microphone isn't designed for windows 10. I presume a driver update will fix this, since the microphones were designed for the Dragon assistant that came with 8.1.

I am a volunteer. Please post your questions in the forum, as I will not reply if they are sent in a personal message.

W530(2436-CTO): i7-3720QM, HD4000 + K2000M, 32GB RAM, 1TB, 750GB Ultrabay, 250GB mSATA , Ubuntu 18.04, Ultimate-N 6300.
TP Yoga 14(20FY): i5-6200U, HD 520 + 940M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Wireless 8260, Ubuntu 18.04
Yoga Home 900(27ibu): i7-5500, HD5500 + 940A, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Windows Insider Fast

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors