Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HarryAU
Paper Tape
Views: 701
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 3 pro lockup and wifi adapter disappearing - related

Hi,

I have two issues with my Yoga 3 pro. I've seen posts about both on this forum, but for me they apper to be related.

1) Wifi card disappeared completely, then reappeared about 6 weeks later

2) Computer freezes with screen on, sometimes during boot, sometimes soon after boot. Requires power off to reset

About 8 weeks ago my Y3P froze a few times, during boot or shortly after. A week or two later, my wifi card completely disappeared (including from device manager).  I bought an USB wifi adapter as a temporary fix, and continued to use the laptop. I ordered some tools, planning to disassemble and see if I coud re-seat the Wifi card. All working ok for about 6 weeks, and i never got around to trying to fix the onboard wifi. About a week ago, the WiFi card "re-appeared". I was happy, and put my $10 usb adapter away. Then, few days ago, the random freezes started again. this time the laptop hardly ever got to fully running, freezing during boot or while entering the password. 

The freezes had not happened while the onboard wifi wasn't working. I hadn't noticed at the time, as it has only frozen a couple of times before the onboard wifi disappeared. When the freezing started agin, I had a hunch that the onboard wifi was the cause. My tools had since arrived, so I pulled of the back and removed the BCM94352Z wifi card. Re-assembled and dug out my USB wifi and all is good again.

So, this points to the freezes being related to a problem with the wifi card. Has anyone else seen these problems together?

I want to replace the internal WiFi card, but can't find a BCM94352Z for sale. What other cards / brands can I use?

Thanks,

Harry

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 693
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 3 pro lockup and wifi adapter disappearing - related

I had a machine with that exact problem. I replaced the wifi card with a used one from ebay. The problems all went away. Is your machine still under warranty?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
HarryAU
Paper Tape
Views: 681
Message 3 of 5

thanks for the confirmation. I will keep looking for a replacement card. Cheers. Harry.

HarryAU
Paper Tape
Views: 680
Message 4 of 5

Unfortunately out of warranty
HarryAU
Paper Tape
Views: 617
Message 5 of 5

Well - I'm writing this with new WiFi card and all working so far. Fingers crossed, it's all fixed. No Freezes and WiFi working well.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors