Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skidoo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 35,511
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 3 pro : problem connecting to HD TV with micro/mini HDMI to HDMI

I purchased a YOGA 3 PRO (512GB) and couldn't be happier with how light and slim this jewel is. The CPU works fast and overall it's a gret UltraBook.

BUT

I just can't connect my Yoga 3 Pro to my TV. I purchased this Ultra Book at BEST BUY (this model is apparently an "exclusive" of Best Buy), and since I knew i need to connect it to an external monitor to do real work on photoshop, I also purchased an INSIGNIA micro-HDMI to HDMI cable.

As shown below, my 32" HD TV (one of the latest models from LG / ref. 32LB5800) is recognized by Windows 8.1 and the INTEL HD Graphics 5300 Display driver (which i updated to the latest version 10.18.10.3960), but unfortunately the TV says "NO SIGNAL".

Link to image

I've tried to connect the Insighnia mini-HDMI to HDMI cable in all 3 HDMI inputs on my TV, but same pathetic result. The first input is HDMI ARC, the second one is regular HDMI and the third one is for mobile devices (HDMI MHL), but all 3 returned the same "NO SIGNAL".

So I figured maybe it was the TV. Thus i plugged my Yoga 3 Pro to a Pioneer Plasma TV that was about 3-4 years old, straight to one of HDMI inputs and same thing, no image. However, Windows 8.1 found the TV and even suggests the ideal resolution.

In both cases the TV model was found by Windows 8.1 and shown under the "Screen Resolution" menu. I selected "Extend these displays" to use the TV as a main monitor, but of course this doesn't help the case.

So i started digging this forum and read a lot of coomplaints about the previous version of the YOGA PRO and that the micro-HDMI plug was poorly designed and the cable connector needed to be "trimmed" a little by 1mm or so to allow it plug fully into the port. So i tried that too, and even though i succesfully removed 1mm of rubber around my Insignia cable connector, it didn't help whatsoever since apparently, the new YOGA 3 PRO doesn't have this issue any longer, its design solved indeed that weakness of its predecessor.

So I'm asking: what the hell is the problem then? it's driving me crazy. I've literrally spent the past 6 hours trying to figure it out, but without any success. This forum has ZERO post about a problem of connection of a YOGA 3 PRO to an HDTV. I know it's a very recent model, but still, I can't believe to be the only one experiencing this issue.

If I don't find a solution quickly I'm afraid I'll have no other choice but to return it. It's unbelievable that both the latest iterations of the LENOVO YOGA PRO are having issues (likely different) connecting to an HD TV using the mini/micor HDMI port.

Not sure if this is a hardware or software problem, but LENOVO better get their act together and fix this stat!

UPDATE: i also noticed that when the cable is plugged into the micro-HDMI port, there's no more sound on the ultrabook. I played a video while the cable was plugged in and NO SOUND. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I would assume connecting the Yoga 3 Pro with the cable into the TV makes it believe that the sound shall be directed towards the TV now, hence the disabled sound on the Ultrabook, even though on the receiving side, the TV still doesn't get any signal from that cable, neither video nor audio.

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

skidoo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 35,661
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 3 pro : problem connecting to HD TV with micro/mini HDMI to HDMI

well it turned out the culprit was the INSIGNIA Micro-HDMI to HDMI cable sold by Best Buy. I tried another cable brand and now it's working just fine! Go figure...
PHT
What's DOS?
Views: 30,492
Message 3 of 5

I had the same problem.
Casn you say which cable works ?
alex2299111
Paper Tape
Views: 27,715
Message 4 of 5

which cable did you find to work

JBRLEN55
What's DOS?
Views: 24,468
Message 5 of 5

We are still waiting to find out where and what brand of cable we need to make it work with an hdtv.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors