Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dannyk86
Paper Tape
Views: 1,104
Message 1 of 9

Yoga 3 slow processor

hi, ive noticed my new notebook is really slow. it has 8GB memory yet struggles to peform basic tasks like browsing. 

i have ran "userbenchmark" which gives a really poor score for processor and graphics. 

Processor

9.74% is an extremely low Desktop CPU score, this CPU can barely handle email and light web browsing.

Graphics

2.22% is too low to play 3D games or use CAD packages. (Note: general computing tasks don't require 3D graphics)

its running windows 10 and the processor is Intel Core M-5Y10c

is there problem with my notebook or is it just a poor processor? thanks in advance

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,091
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga 3 slow processor

Well you got the Core M processor, they are slightly better than Atom CPU from Intel. Core M performs like CPU from say 5 to 6 years ago in terms of performance. It uses very little power (and puts out very little heat), which is why the Yoga 3 Pro is so thin.

So if you are using it for games or cad, then you should return the laptop and get something with more performance.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
dannyk86
Paper Tape
Views: 1,088
Message 3 of 9

hi, 

im not using for gaming. it struggles when watching videos on youtube etc. sound is choppy. i have enabled high performance mode also.

i upgraded from a windows 7 4 gb HP which is quicker than my lenovo. something doesnt seem right. 

my CPU doesnt go above 50% is that normal? 

thanks

Views: 1,079
Message 4 of 9

that doesn't sound normal. When i was watching youtube video it was not choppy. I don't have the Yoga 3 Pro with me here, so i can't test all the parameters.

Does the machine exhibit the same behaviour when on AC power?
Regards,

Jin Li

dannyk86
Paper Tape
Views: 1,076
Message 5 of 9

yes same behaviour with/without AC

ive tried a few different benchmark tools and all are saying CPU and graphics are really poor

im still in warranty i will contact lenovo. i seen a post about a CPU throttle problem with some units and there was a product recall.

Views: 1,056
Message 6 of 9

okay keep us posted
Regards,

Jin Li

dannyk86
Paper Tape
Views: 1,032
Message 7 of 9

ive noticed a massive improvement today. 

i think it was over heating. i have been hibernating instead of shutting down. 

jfr
Punch Card
Views: 1,011
Message 8 of 9

Hello,

do you have a Yoga 3 or Yoga 3 Pro?

In case you have a Yoga 3 you might be experiencing what is described here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-3-11-CPU-stuck-at-0-48-Ghz-99-of-the-...

Basically your CPU is stuck at small speeds (0.49GHz on my Yoga 3 11 with a Core M 5Y10c) and this explains why this is so slow. One way to get it back to normal is to turn off and back on with the charger plugged in (restarting does not work). Someone just suggested that hibernation might do the same. I have not tested it myself (yet!).

From what I understand: for thermal managements reasons the processor is turned down to this low speed (that probably comes from DPTF; some users have reported that it does not happen if you switch that off but that will most likely result in overheating) but does not get back to normal by itself. 

Still waiting for a solution (bios update?) to come from Lenovo.

I hope that might help you to understand what is going on.

LEgovNOVO
Paper Tape
Views: 295
Message 9 of 9

Disable DPTF to speed up Yoga 3 Pro Core M-5Y70  processor

Go to Bios and disable DPTF

(Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework is a "solution to help enable thin, quiet, and cool platform designs". But as we can see it works awful)

Your laptop will be hotter, but it will work like a normal PC, capable of playing video on YouTube in Chrome 1080p 60 fps (on high performance mode, which you can choose clicking on battery icon in tray)

Before disabling:

Frequency on high load drops to 0.5 - 0.8 GHz, CPU usage stays on 20-70%. Laptop slows down extremely and become unusable. Can barely play any youtube video, extremly slow.

After disabling:

Frequency on high load stays on 1 - 2.6 GHz, CPU usage up to 100%. Laptop works as a normal PC, never slowing down. The bottom cover of the laptop becomes hot.

also i updated bios, not sure if it works on previous bios version.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors