Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eligerus
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,071
Message 1 of 8

Yoga 300-11IBR ONE OF TWO RAM STICKS STOPPED FUNCTIONING

I've bought a Yoga 300-IBR to work with while I am at the university. After just 9 days of use i noticed that my laptop became a lot slower, even the simpliest tasks could cause major lags. I started looking for the source of my problem and I found out that only 2 GB of RAM were available. This laptop has 4 GB from the factory, which are just enough to run Windows 10 and to have some basic multitasking capabilities. Standard hardware-scanning software from Lenovo didn't recognize any problems except that only 1 RAM stick was still working. I'm highly concerned of the laptop's quality since I have treated it like a treasure ( no disassembling, no overheating, no moisture whatsoever, always kept clean and polished  ) and I'm wondering what are my options. What should I do with it now? Try to open it up and check whether some bad quality soldering could be the issue and possibly repair it? Or should I send it in for a warranty repair which will take more time? Or should I contact the online shop, where I've bought this particular laptop? Please, give me some advices.

Guru
Views: 2,045
Message 2 of 8

Re: Yoga 300-11IBR ONE OF TWO RAM STICKS STOPPED FUNCTIONING

If you purchased it recently, I'd advise going to them first. Otherwise, go to Lenovo's warranty support: http://support.lenovo.com or 1-877-453-6686

They might also have the option of repair at a Geek Squad location (Best Buy), or on-site repair; so ask about that. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,011
Message 3 of 8

Your memory is soldered to the motherboard.

Hardware maintenance manual show NO memory slots.  Similar Machine:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Upgrading-ram-on-a-yoga-300-11-iby/td-p/21...

Could you go into task manager, performance tab and see how memory shows.

Eligerus
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,996
Message 4 of 8

Thank you much for your replies. I know it's soldered on and i think that exactly some bad soldering is the issue, a contact may have come loose. I am actually able to fix it, if it is the case. I would prefer fixing it myself, otherwise it would take a lot of time getting it serviced somewhere else, so it would be the last measure for me.

My computer shows just 2GB of RAM everywhere you can look it up, although Lenovo's online hardware-testing software showed 4GB and therefore didn't find any problems (onboard diagnostic software still showing 2GB of 4GB instead of 4GB of 8GB- possibly mainboard-related problem)

Eligerus
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,995
Message 5 of 8

And one more little question- does Lenovo support have an e-mail service? Or is calling them by phone the only available option?

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,988
Message 6 of 8

Download CPUz from here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Post the SPD and Memory tab screens.

Also post the memory screen from task manager/performance.

Use the windows snipping tool, save as .png, insert as photo in post reply. 

I need to see how much memory is SYSTEM RESERVED.

Avoid any soldering on the motherboard.  It is not as simple as you think.

Eligerus
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,951
Message 7 of 8

Many thanks for your concern. I've already located and solved the cause of my RAM problem. Fortunately it was just a software issue.

Good luck!
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,938
Message 8 of 8

Could you share your software issue? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors