Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TeeJay82
Paper Tape
Views: 574
Message 1 of 9

Yoga 500 14ISK: can't charge battery past 15% since bios update to D3CN38WW

A couple of weeks ago, Lenovo Vantage offered a bios update to version D3CN38WW. However, after I installed it, it seems that my battery cannot be charged any further than 15%. Also, charging from, say, 10% to 15% takes ages. Prior to this bios update, I never had any issues with this.

I do not use the laptop a whole lot and when I do it is always connected to AC power. At first I already noticed that the battery level was lower than I expected (~40% while I use the battery preservation mode, so I had expected something around 60%), but this week I saw that it had dropped really low and that it won't charge past 15% anymore.

What I tried to resolve it:

- Charge the laptop while it is turned off. Doesn't do anything, the power brick hardly generates any heat. This would rule out any OS/software issues.

- Try different settings (i.e.: turning on/off) for battery preservation and quick charging in Lenovo Vantage. None of these helped.

What is peculiar is that Lenovo Vantage says that the battery's condition is good, but that the charger has limited support. The last thing is particularly odd, as it is the charger that came with the laptop when I bought it. I do not know that it said prior to these problems, as I usually didn't pay much attention to what Vantage was saying.

As far as I can see, the bios update introduced this problem. I contacted customer support, but they say that my warranty has expired and that I should try calling the (very expensive) premium support number. I am not particularly keen on that, especially since it looks like that the bios provided by Lenovo appears to have broken things.

So... what should I do to solve this?

Guru
Views: 524
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga 500 14ISK: can't charge battery past 15% since bios update to D3CN38WW

First question. Did you update JUST the BIOS or are all of the drivers up-to-date?  If not, update them all. 

Let us know the results.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
TeeJay82
Paper Tape
Views: 504
Message 3 of 9

It turned out that there were some optional updates, which I installed. But as I expected, this did not resolve the problem. Today it isn't even charging past 4%...

Guru
Views: 499
Message 4 of 9

Next time you shut down the computer, continue to hold the power button for a full minute to clear the CMOS state. Without powering the computer on, try to charge it for a while.

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling the battery and AC power adapters:

1. Open up the Windows Device Manager (Windows key-X -> Device Manager).

2. Expand the Batteries tree in Device Manager, then right click on and remove all battery related devices (Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery) by using the Uninstall option. Then after you’ve done that, right click again and select “Scan for Changes”, which should re-install the proper drivers and allow for your laptop to charge again. (or reboot the computer, which will accomplish the same thing)

Remove Battery from Device Manager

(from https://www.raymond.cc/blog/solution-for-laptop-battery-not-charging-when-plugged-in/2/ ..which is why it says Dell and not Lenovo in the image)

TeeJay82
Paper Tape
Views: 481
Message 5 of 9

I'll try this. Is this holding the power button for a minute thing a documented feature of Lenovo laptops? It doesn't sound familiar. I do have a pinhole button next to the power button, I'll look up what this is supposed to do too.
Guru
Views: 473
Message 6 of 9

@TeeJay82 wrote:
I'll try this. Is this holding the power button for a minute thing a documented feature of Lenovo laptops? It doesn't sound familiar. I do have a pinhole button next to the power button, I'll look up what this is supposed to do too.

Not Lenovo-specific, really. Every laptop I've owned has required a long press on the power button (after removing the battery, if it's easily removeable) to clear the CMOS and/or discharge any remaining static. 

The Novo button (the pinhole) launches the recovery console and lets you boot into BIOS. With it, you can roll your system back to the way it was when it came out of the box. From there, you can restore to a backup you made before the Windows Update. That could solve the problem, but that's sort of the nuclear option. 

TeeJay82
Paper Tape
Views: 446
Message 7 of 9

I just tried holding the power button for >60 seconds while the laptop was turned off. When I plugged in the charger, nothing happened, the power brick remained cold too. Then I turned on the laptop and for a while, Vantage said that the battery was full. Now it is charging again, but Vantage says that my charger has limited support (as it did earlier). Additionally, there is now a bit of text that says that the charger cannot deliver enough power for the computer. Which is weird, as it is the original charger that came with it.

Shortly after that, it quickly charged from 3% up to 8%, but it came to a halt again now. Vantage now reports charging/discharging in quick succession, 8% seems to be the upper limit now.

So I do not think that this has made a difference...

Guru
Views: 436
Message 8 of 9

It could be the charger. I ALWAYS order a spare to have on hand. So, I'd do that, anyway. But try the other steps in the meantime.

TeeJay82
Paper Tape
Views: 408
Message 9 of 9

Today I managed to try another laptop's charger, same make, same model. The behaviour was the same. Also, I tried reinstalling the battery's device driver as per your screenshot. Did not make a difference. I think it is very unlikely to be a software problem, I just tried charging with the laptop switched off again and it did not get it anywhere past 7%.

As far as I am concerned Lenovo broke my laptop by this bios update, are they by any chance reading these forums? Their customer support was not very forthcoming so far. My laptop is just past the warranty period, so they hardly took the effort to read the problem report I sent in, judging from the solution they offered. I also contacted the shop that sold me the laptop, I hope they can offer me a decent solution. If not, no more Lenovo and no more said shop for me.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors