Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
oliver_yoga500
Paper Tape
Views: 203
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 500-15IBD sudden power off

I bought a new Yoga 500 15IBD 2 Months ago and since a few weeks the Laptop had several power breakdowns while in battery mode. All of a sudden the Laptop turns black, all lights and the hdd turns off and I have to connect the power cord to get it started again - although the Battery certainly isn't empty according to the OS-Battery indicators AND often having the Laptop fully charged less than half an hour ago. (The Yoga runs for at least 3 hours if the bug does not appear).

Now this is no driver issue, I have the problem while running Windows 10, Linux Mint and Backbox Linux. I suppose it's either a battery issue or a faulty architectual design.

Since  I see a lot of similar power-off related messages accross the spectrum of lenovo devices, could someone finally publically explain the source of the problem so there is a chance to get rid of it ... especially in future products?

oliver_yoga500
Paper Tape
Views: 161
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 500-15IBD sudden power off

Now the battery failed completely. I did fully charge the Yoga500 before turning it off yesterday night and today, I could not start the device in battery mode at all. At least I'm able to use the power cord to work with the device. The OS battery indicators in Linux and Windows can't find a battery at all.

A BIOS and chipset update did not help.

Does replacing the battery solve the issue - or is there a likelihood of more trouble ahead ... I mean beyond a replaced battery?

oliver_yoga500
Paper Tape
Views: 159
Message 3 of 4

And if it helps - a small LED on the right side of the Yoga500 is blinking constantly.
oliver_yoga500
Paper Tape
Views: 137
Message 4 of 4

I will bring the Notebook back today. Anyone able to give some info concerning the question that replacing the battery will solve the problem?

What is the average life expectancy of Yoga Batteries?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors