Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
victohenry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,147
Message 1 of 10

Yoga 500: Uncontrollable screen flickering when on battery power

The screen on my new Yoga 500 flickers uncontrollably when it's on battery power, rendering the laptop unusable unless it's plugged in at all times. 

The battery settings are already on 'balanced' (the only advice Lenovo has so far offered). How can I get this fixed?

MattDN93
802.11n
Views: 13,972
Message 2 of 10

Re: Yoga 500: Uncontrollable screen flickering when on battery power

Hi there,

Some users reported screen flickering on battery along with random black-screening while the power was on (myself included). Lenovo staff have since issued this statement which has a driver fix, as well as a workaround you might try:

"In response to customer reports of displays or screens turning off on Lenovo systems while in use and running on battery power, Lenovo has released a solution via update to the Intel Management Engine Firmware, v.11.0.0.1176.

The Intel ME Firmware has been approved for the following models:
ideapad 300S-14ISK, ideapad 500S-14ISK
Lenovo Edge 2-1580
Lenovo Flex 3-1480, Flex 3-1580,
Yoga 500-14ISK, Yoga 500-15ISK

The Intel ME Firmware can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds105001

If the solution provided by Lenovo does not resolve the issue for you, other customers report that a workaround provided by customer MattDN93 also resolves the issue. More information about the workaround can be found here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Flex-3-screen-turns-off-when-working-on... "
victohenry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,947
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the suggestions Matt!
Sadly none of them have fixed the problem - I think the nonstop screen flickering is different from the screen blackout issue you've described.
Thanks for the ideas though!
MattDN93
802.11n
Views: 13,942
Message 4 of 10

Hi again,

No problem, I'm just sorry that didn't fix your problem - it does sound really annoying.

The only other ideas I would suggest:

*Updating your graphics drivers (if you don't want to use the factory Lenovo ones, try manually installing the Intel ones from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8...)

If the .EXE from the Intel site gives you an error about using manufacturer drivers, force the install by downloading the ZIP from that page, extracting the files and using Device Manager > Update Driver on HD 520 Graphics > Choose driver from location on my PC > Pick the *.inf file from the ZIP you just extracted.

*Try Device Manager > Lenovo Vhid Device > UMDF HID Minidriver > (right-click > Properties) Power Management > Uncheck "let Windows turn this device off to save power"

See if perhaps doing that solves your issue?
Stephaneo
What's DOS?
Views: 13,890
Message 5 of 10

I have the exact same problem. I think it started a few weeks ago maybe after some kind of updates.

Do you think it is a hardware problem ?

I tried a lot of things stated on forum and none of them worked. 

Any idea ?

It happens only when working on battery. No problem at all when plugged. Also I noticed that noticed happens before going below 80% of battery. Then at 75% the computer is completey unusable.

Thanks !

victohenry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,466
Message 6 of 10

I'm afraid in the end there was no solution. I had to send the laptop back to Lenovo. the problem was briefly fixed, but now the battery doesn't work at all. Another stellar customer service experience Smiley Sad
O-Haggis
What's DOS?
Views: 12,941
Message 7 of 10

Any resolution to your problem?

I have it and I have tried most things but no solution so far.

I think it started after I upgraded to window 10.

I may try to revert to an earlier version of Windows and see what happens

Victor

BOTnakke
Paper Tape
Views: 11,756
Message 8 of 10

I have the exact same problem when on battery. When it reaches 75% the flickering begins, and when I plug it in it stops. So no lose wires or hardware faillure, exept maybe the battery itself. I'm really tired of Lenovo since this is the second problem I had with this computer model. The first one was replaced due to a hardware fail. I will never again buy Lenovo.

BOTnakke
Paper Tape
Views: 11,755
Message 9 of 10

I have the exact same problem when on battery. When it reaches 75% the flickering begins, and when I plug it in it stops. So no lose wires or hardware faillure, exept maybe the battery itself. I'm really tired of Lenovo since this is the second problem I had with this computer model. The first one was replaced due to a hardware fail. I will never again buy Lenovo

TNHO
What's DOS?
Views: 471
Message 10 of 10

Here is how I fixed the screen flicker problem. May be it will work for you too.

1. Right click on Desktop background to bring up menu,
2. Select "Graphics Properties" to bring up Intel HD Graphics Control Panel
3. Select the "On Battery" tab. 
4. Select Disable for "Panel Self-refresh".

That fixed mine problem. Screen now does not flicker even when battery is very low.

Flicker fix.jpg

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors