Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BForce
Paper Tape
Views: 132
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 520-14ikb max ram speed

Hello,  I am on the verge of upgrading my HDD and RAM. 

My question lies with the RAM.

My original setup had a single 4GB DDR4-2400 module installed.  Since then I could only locally source a 8GB DDR4-2133 module, which i installed and it has worked, although my laptop seems to be running hotter than usual and has on occassional overheated and rebooted. (i am suspecting it has to do with the quality of the RAM module installed.  (i have repeatedly double checked the ventilation slots etc are dust free etc.)

Based on the suspision of bad RAM and me wanting to get max productivity out of my yoga520 I have decided to buy quality RAM online and have it shipped, rather than use the locally found product.

My question lies with the Data Rate & Bus speeds.  Will the motherboard downspeed the faster spec'd ram modules?  What is the cap speed for this motherboard anyway? is it worth paying extra for a 16Gb DDR4-3200 or 2666?

I am aware that the motherboard can only support a max of 1x 16Gb RAM.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 104
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 520-14ikb max ram speed

The system is going to clock the RAM down to 2133Mhz anyway since that is the speed that it supports, so regardless of what RAM speed you buy it will still run at 2133Mhz..     Typically if their were RAM issues, you would be getting BSOD's etc., and not shutdowns due to heat.   

More RAM does generate a bit more heat, but before you blame the RAM, I would check to ensure that the cooling fan and radiator are clean, and working properly,

If those are fine and you are still having heating problems, you may consider replacing the heat sink compound/thermal grease on the CPU to ensure that the heat is being efficiently transferred to the heat sink, because it can deteriorate over time and become less efficient.

Also check for any sign of leakage around the heat sink pipe that goes from the fan to the CPU and GPU as well.

Best of luck, 

BForce
Paper Tape
Views: 76
Message 3 of 4

Thank you very much for your prompt and informative response.

I wasn't sure about the bus speed cap, and i still find it strange that a ddr4-2400 chip was installed originally if the computer caps at 2133.  One would think it would be a slight cost saving on Lenovo's part to install componets that aren't above spec.

Thank you for the comments on the overheating problem. I will look into your suggestions and comment once I identify the issue and have rectified it.

Have a nice day.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 59
Message 4 of 4

The cost difference between 2133MHz and 2400MHz is probably close to nothing to Lenovo, so they probably just order RAM that can be used in several systems.    

Good luck with the heat issue.

Cheers, 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors