Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MLPub
Paper Tape
Views: 3,791
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 520 M.2 SSD

I've installed an SSD in my M.2 slot and it doesn't get recognized by BIOS. I've tried setting option to AHCI, but it still doesn't get recognized anywhere (BIOS, Windows, etc).

Any clues?

The brazilian version comes without SSD, so I have reason to believe that it lacks the appropriate firmware. Is there some update that I can do to solve this issue?

This laptop is useless without an SSD, as its HDD makes it feel like an i3, while it's an i7.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,749
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 520 M.2 SSD

Hello and welcome,

Is your SSD PCIe or SATA?  Looking at the HMM it appears that only PCIe SSDs are offered.  SATA may not be supported

Hardware Maintenance Manual - Yoga 520-14IKB

Z..

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

MLPub
Paper Tape
Views: 3,741
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the kind answer Smiley Happy

It's a PCIe SSD. It's actually a SATA III SSD, this one: WDS120G1G0B from Western Digital.

It looks exactly as depicted on page 34 of the HMM.

Any way I can make it work or should I take it back to the store?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,735
Message 4 of 6

I wish I could give you a certain answer but without personal experience I can't say 100%

My suspicion is that SATA SSDs aren't supported.   If you can take it back and exchange it for a (probably more expensive) PCIe unit that might be worth a try.

Another option might be returning it and swapping in a 2.5" SATA SSD in place of your HDD.

Sorry to be so *fuzzy* about this...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Parvez02
What's DOS?
Views: 3,666
Message 5 of 6

From the link you gave its the older m2 ssd , this laptop supports the latest m2 NVMe ssd ..like this http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-960-pro-2tb-nvme-m2-pcie-ssd-review_186910/8 - see the pin difference.

Cristiano82vb
Paper Tape
Views: 3,395
Message 6 of 6

Oi, você conseguiu?
Tem como instalar um SSD m.2 no yoga i7 vendido no Brasil?
Se sim me ensina como ?
Obrigado

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors