Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeepSOIC
Paper Tape
Views: 1,901
Message 1 of 11

Yoga 520 active pen problem: pen misses strokes occasionally

Hi!

About a month ago I bought a Yoga 520 (YOGA 52014IKB), and the thing is quite nice... It has active pen, and the active pen is one of the main reasons I picked it. However, there is a serious problem with the pen. It occasionally misses taps and strokes, and that annoys the hell out of me!

I made a video of how it behaves.

[admin edit]

I am struggling to find the exact way to reproduce the missed stroke reliably, but recently I think I found something, see the video. It seems to be some sort of interference with palm that rests on the screen. Sometimes, a palm on the screen creates a rectangular area, where taps won't register. This is likely the cause of missing strokes. But apart from using gloves, I don't see any feasible way to solve it. I tried:

* rebooted the pen, by removing its battery. No effect.

* updated wacom pen driver, by downloading one from Lenovo site. No effect.

* installed wacom driver from wacom website. The one doesn't recognize the digitizer.

* changed windows setting to reject all touch input when stylus is near. No effect.

* disabled touchscreen in windows device manager. No effect on pen, it still misses strokes.

* connected the pen housing to laptop's chassis with a wire. No effect.

* connected myself to laptop's chassis, by ensuring I touch top metal plate that covers. Doesn't seem to help.

I've been a pen laptop user for a very long time. The first one was hp tx2000, with wacom's electrodynamic digitizer, and it worked perfectly. The second was sony vaio duo, with capacitive n-trig digitizer. It had some problems, the pen would sometimes go nuts and sent heaps of false clicks, but it was rare and easy to stop. It was a bit sluggish. This Yoga pen is nice and responsive, but this issue is almost a showstopper. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Admin:- System Type: 80X8001YRK

Admin note: video displaying system s/n removed to prevent possible abuse. By all means repost the video without the serial number.

TristanDahl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,697
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga 520 active pen problem: pen misses strokes occasionally

I have exactly the same problem but with a 4 week old Yoga 720 using a new Pen 2.  Holding the pen with no palm contact works fine, but as soon as you rest your palm on the screen there is an area on the screen where the pen does not do anything.  Rectangular?  Maybe.  But it is about 1-2 inches in size.  It is located off center to the left.  Text/strokes  simply stops registering in this area.  Very annoying and in effect makes the pen input useless.  The area seems to move around a litte depending where you hold your palm.

The problem is still there if you switch user.  It is pressent in all applications.

We have tried to return the Yoga but customer service (at least in Germany) at Lenovo is the worst of any computer company I have ever dealt with.  Hours on the phone, phone queues that last forever and failed promises to provide return authorisation..  The worst experience I have had since the days of AOL.

As a result the only chance is to try to repair the issue ourelves as we seem to be stuck with this device.

There are several YouTube videos describing the problem very well, but with no solution.  This means that it is not an uncommon problem.

I have tried every combination of drivers..  removing batteries etc.  Just like the OP.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Regards

Tristan

TristanDahl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,686
Message 3 of 11

Amazing.. 1 hr after posting the above we receive an email from Levono with a RMA code and pickup details.. So it is now going back for replacement. Let's hope the new one works.
DeepSOIC
Paper Tape
Views: 1,674
Message 4 of 11

Please let me know if the replacement one is any better, as I'm wondering if it's a fundamental problem of the digitizer.

I have once sent my computer to a paid 3rd-party repair service. They were unable to reproduce the problem (said "digitizer is working perfectly"), and returned the computer back intact. The inability to reproduce was likely caused by communication issues, I asked to talk to a technician but was refused. I haven't tried sending it to lenovo for inspection yet.

TristanDahl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,668
Message 5 of 11

I will try to remember to let you know.

I found another YouTube video which shows exactly the same problem.

youtu.be/zMpF_746wGg

add the https:// above to get it.

Thomas

DeepSOIC
Paper Tape
Views: 1,660
Message 6 of 11

@TristanDahl

I found another YouTube video which shows exactly the same problem.

youtu.be/zMpF_746wGg

Thanks... It doesn't look "exactly the same" to me. In that video, the pen is drawing, but in an unexpected place (on the other edge of the palm).

DeepSOIC
Paper Tape
Views: 1,603
Message 7 of 11

Today I tried it on another yoga 520, and unfortunately it shows same behavior. That suggests the issue is fundamental, and sending the laptop for repair is pointless... =(

merlinedge
What's DOS?
Views: 1,470
Message 8 of 11

@TristanDahl

Hi Tristan,

Did you get a new yoga 520? Did it still have the same issue?

I have just bought one and it has the same problem. Deciding whether to push for a replacement.

Many thanks

Tayruu
Paper Tape
Views: 1,208
Message 9 of 11

I recently bought a Yoga 720 13" myself as a replacement for a Surface Pro, and have noticed this intermittent problem. My opinion is basically like DeepSOIC's - before active stylus devices things were pretty great! Once I got an SP2, and then an SP5/2017, I had problems. The SP2 had the "black sleep of death", the SP5 had a massive resolution and sometimes still drew even with the stylus raised.

Re the 720: I can't seem to consistently reproduce the bug by randomly stroking the pen, but sometimes while doing art normally 2cm-square areas in front of the pen don't produce strokes. If I stroke and stroke it only produces touch outside that area or so. I have to raise the pen, or toggle between programs, or something. I'm not sure what does it, but I am able to draw in that place again with fiddling. So it's not like there's a consistent area of dead touch.

I disabled (finger) touch in devices, palm rejection, and flick settings, and it seemed to fix it! I went a few hours without issue. And then the next day, the issue came up again. I almost wonder if part of the device, when rested on, causes the problem, so depending on how I rest when I drew affects if the bug comes up.

Poobslag
What's DOS?
Views: 850
Message 10 of 11

I have encountered this same problem with the Yoga 720.

When my hand is on the screen, a rectangular area around my hand cannot be written on. Disabling the touch screen in the Device Manager (Human Interface Devices -> HID-compliant touch screen) fixes the issue, and I am able to use the pen without ignored strokes.

This workaround is OK but is kind of clumsy, is there any confirmation of this issue from Lenovo, or any official workaround?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors