cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gnusmag77
Punch Card
Views: 1,186
Message 1 of 12

Yoga 520 - battery drain while laptop is off!

Hi,

Something really annoying started recently,

I don't use my laptop every day, and latey iv'e noticed that the battery drains cempletely empty in a few days.

I was using it a few days ago, when i shut it off (not hibernate), the battery was 100%, but today iv'e tried turning it on, and the battery is 0%, i had to connect it to the charger to be able to turn it on.

Iv'e been experiencing it in the last month, before that it was ok, there were some updates recently notably the BIOS update and i wonder if that is the reason for this behaviour.

I need to fix that asap - i doubt it is a hardware fault since the lapto is only 10 months old, and in continuos use the battery last 5-6 hours, the same as it was new.

Lenovo support, I'm awaiting your reply that will solve my issue (already disabled "fast start" from power options but it doesnt seem to help)

Thank you

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,149
Message 2 of 12

Re: Yoga 520 - battery drain while laptop is off!

Hi gnusmag77!

Welcome to the Community, 

Download the Lenovo Vantage from Microsoft store, and use it to install the latest drivers and BIOS update.

https://support.lenovo.com/gr/en/solutions/ht505081

Also, turn of Fast Startup and check for any changes.

https://support.lenovo.com/gr/en/solutions/ht501793

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

gnusmag77
Punch Card
Views: 1,145
Message 3 of 12

Hi, I have vantage installed, and drivers are up to date...oddly enough, the problem started more or less after i installed vantage. Fast boot was set off but it didnt help.

gnusmag77
Punch Card
Views: 1,053
Message 4 of 12

Iv'e uninstalled Vantage, I have unticked the FastBoot option, I have downgraded my BIOS to the version before, but the issue is still there- there is a drain of 20% in 24h when the laptop is off. Lenovo please solve this issue, I see I'm not the only one having it and it is really frustrating.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,042
Message 5 of 12

Hello gnusmag77,

Please try these steps:

1. Press Windows Key + X.
2. Select Command Prompt (Admin).
3. At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press ENTER.
4. At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
5. Restart the computer and check with the issue.

May we ask how you shut down the computer? Do you press the power button or click on shut down in windows? If so, make sure you're letting the system shut down completely before closing the lid. 

See if there is a setting in the BIOS regarding supplying power to USB devices when the system is off. Names for this vary, but usually mention something about power sharing or charging. If such a setting exists and is enabled, that may also be a culprit.

Right now we are trying to isolate the problem. Let us know of the result we will be more than happy to provide more assistance.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Schnauser
What's DOS?
Views: 1,018
Message 6 of 12

Morning ...I noticed the same issue with my Yoga 520 and after googling found thos post.  I then installed Vantage and updated the Bios with no change.  I then thought has anything changed since I purchased it back in April of this year.  Two minor things had changed which I thought would have no effect:

1) I have started usung a wired mouse that I had lying around.

2) I purchased one of those tiny sandisk memory sticks which I have been leaving plugged in permanently as it is so small.

Last night I ran a couple of tests.

Left the mouse and memory stick plugged in and turned off the Yoga as normal and took note of the remaining battery level.

One hour later I turned on the Yoga and found that in one hour I had lost 4% battery.

I then unplugged both the memory stick and the mouse and turned off again, one hour later I had lost just 1% battery.

I turned it off last night and left it over night and found this morning it had drained just 3%.

I will try leaving just the memory stick plugged in for an hour this morning and post back later, but my guess is it is the memory stick causing the issue ...either that or a coupe of restarts after updating the Bios has fixed the issue.  I have left Yogo in fast start up mode also.

gnusmag77
Punch Card
Views: 1,013
Message 7 of 12

Thank you for your insights, i actually bought a new mouse recently, and it was plugged in ever since, never thought it might have to do with the issue. I'll try disconnecting the dongle later to see if it has any effect.

Is there an option in the bios to shut down the USB ports when the computer is shut down so I can keep peripherals connected when it's off without draining the battery?

Schnauser
What's DOS?
Views: 1,008
Message 8 of 12

After losing very little battery overnight, I plugged in the sandisk memory stick this morning and turned off the Yoga for an hour and the battery dropped 4% in 1 hour.  I hope there is a way to turn off usb ports on shut down else it means unplugging devices before you shut down the machine, but at least I now know what ws causing my issue. 

gnusmag77
Punch Card
Views: 999
Message 9 of 12

I'm still at work so I havent checked my laptop yet, but i now remember that one of the USB slots (on the right side) is able to supply voltage to charge devices even when the laptop is off, take a look, it has a battery symbol next to it, and this is the one i always use for my wireless mouse dongle, though i never expected it to drain so much power when the mouse is off since i didn't experience this drain with my older wireless mouse. I'll get home shortly and see if the dongle is really the reason for the drain.

Lenovo-Yoga-520-12.jpg

Schnauser
What's DOS?
Views: 997
Message 10 of 12

Well spotted, I hadn't noticed that.  I'll plug usb drive in there and report back in an hour Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors