Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gavintsai
Paper Tape
Views: 612
Message 1 of 18

Yoga 520 clock slowing down after every reboot/shutdown

Hello. I purchased a Yoga 520 model 80X8. After I update the HDD firmware, Intel ME firmware, and BIOS, I noticed the clock will slow down everytime the laptop is shutdown and/or restarted. 

Therefore I RMA'd the unit and got a new one. The unit's clock worked correctly. I therefore thought that maybe the previous Yoga 520 is defective.

On the new unit, I begin customising the laptop by formatting the hard drive, install Windows 10 1709, and install drivers. I went on to update the HDD firmware, Intel ME firmware, and BIOS. To my surprise, the exact same problem happens again. I begin to suspect something's wrong with the Intel ME firmware and/ or BIOS firmware that is provided by Lenovo. The clock slowing down shouldn't happen on  2 different units.

The clock will slow down even before Windows booted. I set the clock, restart, then turned off the laptop before Windows boot. When I enter BIOS setup, the clock have slowed down. 

Anyone experienced this? 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 593
Message 2 of 18

Re: Yoga 520 clock slowing down after every reboot/shutdown

Hi gavintsai!

Welcome to the Community,

Was there any noticeable changes on the performance of the laptop when it happens? Right click on the Taskbar and open Task Manager>Click on More Details, and check the CPU Speed under Performance tab. You may also check if the power plan in power options is set to Balanced (Right click on Battery>Power Option>Set Power Plan Settings).

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

gavintsai
Paper Tape
Views: 587
Message 3 of 18

, thank you for replying.

I need to add that after updating the BIOS and Intel ME firmware to the latest version, I went to BIOS setup, I cleared Intel PTT key and perform Load setup defaults. Then I proceed to disable the function keys (so that the F1-F12 keys function traditionally).

I'm not really sure whether clear Intel PTT key and Load setup defaults caused the clock to slow down, or the clock slowed down after the latest BIOS update and/or the latest Intel ME firmware update.

The clock will slow down approximately 30-40 seconds each shutdown, be it full shutdown or fast shutdown, and for every reboot.

After the clock slowed down, I proceeded to re-flash the BIOS and the Intel ME firmware with the latest version (the same file I previously used). Unfortunately it did not work, the clock won't get fixed.

I will verify the laptop's performance when I got home... I don't have the laptop with me right now.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 582
Message 4 of 18

I see. You can post back once you have the laptop with to you for us to observe the performance. Alternative way to isolate the problem is restoring the laptop to the point before the BIOS and Firmware was installed,

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht501548

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

gavintsai
Paper Tape
Views: 567
Message 5 of 18

Hello  , my laptop's CPU is i3-7100U with maximum clock speed of 2,4 GHz. I don't think I experienced any slowdown.

I tried to benchmark the laptop using WinRAR, with power plugged in and power mode set to best performance.

From the screenshot, you can see that the CPU is running at 2,39GHz, and yet CPU utilisation never touched 100%.

I recently discovered that the computer clock will slow down when the laptop is both plugged in and on battery power. Waking up from sleep won't slow down the clock. Waking up from hibernation will slow down the clock.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 560
Message 6 of 18

Hi! The 2.4GHZ is the processor base frequency and you can refer to this: https://ark.intel.com/products/95442/Intel-Core-i3-7100U-Processor-3M-Cache-2-40-GHz-

Base on the picture, you it shows here that the utilization is 91% and the processes is 121. There is a big possibility that there is a program or application running on the background. Could you send to us the a screenshot of the processes tab with the time in it? Let us know.

Admin note: link shortener converted to full URL for clarity

gavintsai
Paper Tape
Views: 558
Message 7 of 18

Hello   , this is the screenshot of on the processes tab. Please note that this is captured when the notebook's is on battery. I set the power plan to Best Performance. WinRAR benchmark yields the same result.

gavintsai
Paper Tape
Views: 528
Message 8 of 18

Guys, I need to add that the longer the laptop is inactive after a shutdown/hibernation, the slower the clock will be. For example, after leaving the laptop unused for 2 days, the clock have slowed by about 3 minutes.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 523
Message 9 of 18

Can you disable the winrar base on the picture under the startup if it will make a difference? If yes, uninstall the program.

gavintsai
Paper Tape
Views: 506
Message 10 of 18

@Jwes_Lenovo, I don't think that the clock problem is related to Windows.

I can prove this by entering BIOS setup and setting the clock, then I save the setting. After the laptop restart, I turn it off immediately; at that stage Windows is not loading yet. After that I turn on the computer and went to BIOS setting, the clock have slowed down.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors