Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mesterhazy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,733
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 520 touchscreen is not working!

Hi there

Few months ago I bought a Yoga 520, and I never had any problems with it. Mostly used it for work, and drawing with my wacom tablet. Tried the touch screen a few times, everything was fine. However, today I wanted to try drawing with my finger on the screen, and I realised the touch function of the touchscreen is not working. 

I always allow WIN10 to update itself, but since I'm not using the touch function regularly I couldn't say when it stopped working.

What I've tried so far:

Updated drivers, all of them. 

Checked Lenovo Vantage for new drivers, everything is the latest. 

Tried uninstalling the driver of the Wacom device from device manager. (btw in device manager, the wacom device has a yellow ! and on the Properties windows it says 'A request for the HID descriptor failed'.

Again, installed every driver from Lenovo Support page I could. 

Tried basically everything suggested in the similar topics in this forum, and on Microsoft's page.

Please tell me, you have something figured out other than 'reinstall your PC', because I don't think a notebook in this price range should be reinstalled after 3 months. 
Is it because a windows update? So should I wait for another update to fix this, or should I just bring it back to where I bought it?

Thanks in advance, have a nice day.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 2,717
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 520 touchscreen is not working!

First, you can remove the HID device, restart your computer and let windows install the drivers automatially. 

Next step would be:

Windows (10) updates may cause the problem. Rather than re-installnig the OS, you can try to remove all Windows updates. If it doesn't work, you may need to reset the OS to default ( reinstall the system ). If that doesn't work either, it's time to get the phone for support. You will need replacement.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
mesterhazy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,668
Message 3 of 6

Hey

Thanks for the answer, I already removed the HID in the device manager, didn't solve it.

If I remove the Windows updates, could that damage my PC in any way, or cause something bad to happen? Also, if removed, Windows will want to update them  again right? So if it solves my problem, then the problem will occur again in some time I guess.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,661
Message 4 of 6

Rolling back the Windows updates shouldln't damage your computer. And, yes, Windows will want to update, again. Let it do it without running anything. Shut off any 3rd party virus scanner or firewall. Windows Updates have a habit of wrecking things and re-running the updates frequently doesn't produce the same wreck.  Also make sure you have the latest driver updates (use Lenovo Vantage if you don't, already) and double-check the BIOS version against the download page for your model. There are more than a few 520 touchscreen threads that all seem to point to Windows Updates.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
mesterhazy
Paper Tape
Views: 2,657
Message 5 of 6

Thanks!

The BIOS is the latest also, but now I'll roll back the Win updates, see if that solves anything.

Fartnuckles
What's DOS?
Views: 2,421
Message 6 of 6

I just bought a brand new Yoga 520 14IKB with Windows 10.  Straight out of the box the touch screen worked perfectly - until the very first Window 10 update process finished.  After that, the touch screen ceased to work.  Not a good look for a machine that I owned for less than 3 hours! The HID compliant touch screen device was completely missing from the device list and no amount of rebooting or restarting would reinstall or even detect it.  I rolled back the windows update - but to no avail.  Still no touch screen. I did get it going again by doing an out of box factory reset, updating to the latest drivers through Lenovo Vantage and then making sure that Windows update is set so that it doesn't update drivers. You see, the thing is, I shouldn't have had to do this. I know Lenovo will point the finger at Microsoft update and Vise versa, but someone needs to get their stuff together - I mean a brand new laptop people - come on guys this is not good enough!  Just a warning to anyone else out there - Windows 10 updates will break the touch screen function!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors