Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeltaWhiskey
Paper Tape
Views: 978
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 530-14ARR SSD upgrade

I have it on good authority that "santa" will be delivering a 530-14ARR to me tomorrow morning (Christmas morning), though there is still the possibility that I'll get coal instead if I fail to load the dishwasher or drink too much of the sherry my daughter will leave out for "santa" Smiley Wink

I've been looking at the specs and the hardware maintenance manual and want to upgrade the 530 to suit my workflow (more memory, bigger SSD). I have the memory upgrade covered, but regarding SSD's, I was wondering if there is any point in going all-out for a Samsung Evo Pro 970 1TB M.2 NVME drive if the 530 cannot handle the 3,500 MB/S throughput (read). Is it a waste? Would I be better off just getting a crucial / kingston / Intel M.2 NVME drive with their 1800 MB/S read speed?

As I don't know what chipset is used in the 530 I don't know what sort of throughput it will support or if it will pose a bottleneck to the Samsung 970s read speeds and I don't want to blow hundreds of pounds experimenting. So any input would be greatfully accepted!

Cheers & Merry Christmas!

Guru
Views: 903
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 530-14ARR SSD upgrade

I think you're better off with a ~2000 mb/s read NVMe SSD. Maybe one like this? https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/yoga-530-14arr/CT13050304

I highly doubt you'll get the full read speeds oof the 970 Evo with the AMD SoC chipset.

Hope that helps. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you too! 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

DeltaWhiskey
Paper Tape
Views: 890
Message 3 of 4

Thank you Eric!

I am posting my reply from my new 530 (which is awesome!) and I will go for the crucial or equivalent. I suspected that - although this machine IS fast (more than adequate speed for my needs) it wouldn't benefit from the bleeding edge nvme drive, so thank you for saving me money!

Merry Christmas.

DW

Highlighted
lololo
What's DOS?
Views: 429
Message 4 of 4

Hello, did you buy the ssd in the link? because a tried to upgrade my ssd, but the stock ssd is m.2 nvme or PCIe and the size is 2242, and the one on the link bigger and it don't fit in the lenovo (or it ill move)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors