Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-29-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 6

Yoga 6 Suspend (S3) is not working with Linux. Lenovo, please expose S3 option in BIOS.

2021-05-30, 13:01 PM

I have Yoga 6 13ARE05. If you happen to install Linux on it, the traditional suspend to RAM (S3 sleep mode) doesn't work. Instead the laptop goes into an idle mode (still consuming significant power from battery) and half of the time it fails to come back from that mode due to some issues with AMD video drivers. Not ideal at all.

After digging around the interwebs I found that it is a known problem with multiple laptops. The reason this happens is that BIOS doesn't advertise S3 as an available power mode, even though it is supported by the hardware. Rumors have it, that it is done on behalf of Microsoft. Apparently, Windows' "Modern Standy" mode (S0ix) doesn't work correctly if BIOS advertises S3 and some manufacturers hide S3 mode from OS by default.

There are workarounds (search for "S3 sleep fix"), but most of them are pretty involved and ugly: you are basically having to hack around ACPI DSDT BIOS table and override it on boot to expose S3 as an option. To make matters worse, the available fix doesn't work with the latest kernel 5.11. This is less than ideal for multiple reasons.

I found that on multiple other models of Lenovo laptops, Lenovo ended up issuing BIOS updates that exposed additional menu option in BIOS to enable S3. This would be the ideal solution. People who wishes to run Linux on their machines would be able to just modify one setting in BIOS and have it working as expected.

So I'm asking Lenovo to please release a BIOS update for Yoga 6 that would allow users to enable S3 power mode. Many people run Linux on your machines these days and having your laptop being able to go to suspend mode is pretty important.

Thank you.

Options

6 Posts

05-27-2021

Indonesia

8 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 2 of 6

Yoga 6 Suspend (S3) is not working with Linux. Lenovo, please expose S3 option in BIOS.

2021-05-30, 15:37 PM
The missing S3 support also occur on WIndows 10. This laptop only got S0 support. i've contacted lenovo on this forum and they say they will forward my issue. https://forums.lenovo.com/topic/findpost/1516/5081447/5340879 I got premium care hotline tho. I will try to call lenovo and ask them about S3 support (among other things)
Options

208 Posts

03-06-2021

Germany

90 Signins

1295 Page Views

• Views: 1295
  • Message 3 of 6

Re:Yoga 6 Suspend (S3) is not working with Linux. Lenovo, please expose S3 option in BIOS.

2021-05-31, 21:19 PM

@ Kostya42 wrote:

I have Yoga 6 13ARE05. If you happen to install Linux on it, the traditional suspend to RAM (S3 sleep mode) doesn' work. Instead the laptop goes into an idle mode (still consuming significant power from battery) and half of the time it fails to come back from that mode due to some issues with AMD video drivers. Not ideal at all.

After digging around the interwebs I found that it is a known problem with multiple laptops. The reason this happens is that BIOS doesn' advertise S3 as an available power mode, even though it is supported by the hardware. Rumors have it, that it is done on behalf of Microsoft. Apparently, Windows' "Modern Standy" mode (S0ix) doesn' work correctly if BIOS advertises S3 and some manufacturers hide S3 mode from OS by default.

There are workarounds (search for "S3 sleep fix"), but most of them are pretty involved and ugly: you are basically having to hack around ACPI DSDT BIOS table and override it on boot to expose S3 as an option. To make matters worse, the available fix doesn' work with the latest kernel 5.11. This is less than ideal for multiple reasons.

I found that on multiple other models of Lenovo laptops, Lenovo ended up issuing BIOS updates that exposed additional menu option in BIOS to enable S3. This would be the ideal solution. People who wishes to run Linux on their machines would be able to just modify one setting in BIOS and have it working as expected.

So I' asking Lenovo to please release a BIOS update for Yoga 6 that would allow users to enable S3 power mode. Many people run Linux on your machines these days and having your laptop being able to go to suspend mode is pretty important.

Thank you.

Sadly, Lenovo only has S3 support for Linux-certified laptops.

There is nothing you can do regarding S3 unless Lenovo changes their mind in general regarding Linux.

Btw, even laptops with S3 support, like my TP P14s AMD has a lot of problems with S3 & battery drain.

You can tag @MarkRHPearson if you have questions regarding Linux.

Best regards,

Gabriel

Options

529 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

408 Signins

4426 Page Views

• Views: 4426
  • Message 4 of 6

Re:Yoga 6 Suspend (S3) is not working with Linux. Lenovo, please expose S3 option in BIOS.

2021-05-31, 21:30 PM

Hi @Kostya42 

Afraid my hands are tied a bit here as that platform isn't in the Linux certification program (your post threw me a bit initially as I was assuming you meant the X1 Yoga G6...but that's not an AMD platform)

I'll ask the driver team if they can do anything but realistically the expectations should be low - my experience is the firmware team aren't going to want to enable and test a whole new sleep mode for something that isn't in their remit to support. Sorry :( 

If you have premium support definitely flag this to them - that's a great way of letting the product team know that Linux support is wanted on these platforms. You are welcome to give my name to the product support team as a contact point too if they have any questions.

AMD is adding support for S0ix upstream, but my understanding is it's not ready yet.

Mark

Options

2 Posts

05-29-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-06-01, 14:21 PM

Hi @MarkRHPearson,

Thank you for your reply. If comments by @lenongvo are any indication, some Windows users would also like to be able to use S3 mode.

I understand it may result in some extra work for your team, but honestly, I would guess that 99% of Windows users never go to BIOS, and don't need to, so exposing S3 option would only affect people who really need it and have some idea of what they are doing. Also, out of all the settings in BIOS one might change that could break their computer, this one is one of the most innocuous ones. :-)

I'm sure support for S0ix will be sorted out at some point on Linux side, but, personally, I would rather stay with S3 mode. If I close the lid on my laptop I expect the computer to be sleeping, not sending data over WiFi. :-)

Hopefully, you can make an argument for making S3 option in BIOS available internally on our behalf.

Thank you.

Options

6 Posts

05-27-2021

Indonesia

8 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-06-03, 7:43 AM

@MarkRHPearson 

I;ve called lenovo premium care and they told me to email them S3 issue (among other things), but its been a day and they hadnt replied yet. Will call them again tomorrow and ask more

EDIT

Its Case number 2002582330 [Incident: 210602-008845]

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)