Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matchstick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,578
Message 1 of 11

Yoga 700 11" SD Card Slot adaptor

Has anyone one had any luck finding a low-profile microSD card adaptor that will fit nicely in the SD Card slot of the 11" Yoga 700 ?

Cheers

Deuce1920
Paper Tape
Views: 3,402
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga 700 11" SD Card Slot adaptor

Hi. Were you able to find a solution?
Matchstick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,398
Message 3 of 11

Not yet Smiley Sad

Currently using a low profile USB memory stick, but a low-profile microSD adaptor that would fit flushly into the SD card slot is still the ideal solution.

blero
WWAN
Views: 3,383
Message 4 of 11
Deuce1920
Paper Tape
Views: 3,379
Message 5 of 11

Hi again.

After some digging, I came across the thread below. You can start at the begining if you like.  It boils down to that the fact that the Yoga 2 SD slit is about the same size as ours.  Using an existing SD card adapter, i estimate our slot to be about 16-17mm.  So with that said, there are 3 options mentioned on the site: 

1) buy a mid profile StorEdge Flash card...still sticks out

2) buy a nifty minidrive adapter -  about $40 bucks

3) buy the transcend Jet drive (330 or 360 - they appear to be the same size).

I have an existing 64GB microSD card that i would like to salvage, but if it cost $40 for the adapter, I could spend a few more dollars and double the storage and give the existing one to the kids.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-2-Pro-SD-slot/td-p/1310647/page/9

McAllan
Token Ring
Views: 3,357
Message 6 of 11

@Matchstick

This one rocks!: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QGKTPYA

Fits the Yoga 900 and Yoga 500 perfectly. So I'm sure it'll fit the 700 perfect too if the ordinary "half length" microSD adaptors won't work. It's just a wiring adapter so of course it supports any size microSD card and UHS not limited to what description says - only what pins it wires.
(UHS-II requires more pins but UHS-II microSD card are very rare - I've not seen one for sale even though I don't filter them out on search sites. Besure not to confuse UHS-II and UHS-I Class 1, 2 or 3. UHS type and Class rating are too very different things not related to each other but many confuse them!)

Many more adapters works too but are more expensive. It's the same size as for MacBook Pro retina 13". Although for MacBook they typically are made to look nice in a MacBook so a little trimming of adaptor edge may be required. The linked adaptor is a generic one fits all laptops which require that length to fit flush (but because it's generic look is not first priority).

Matchstick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,352
Message 7 of 11

@McAllen That looks very interesting and cheap enough to take a punt on, cheers.... need to see how easy it'll be to remove as well as fit but that that can probably be assisted with a tab of duct-tape if necessary.

I'll people are interested I'll let you know how I get on Smiley Happy

McAllan
Token Ring
Views: 3,346
Message 8 of 11

I have both machines and I use that exact adaptor in both. I had a big time searching. Was prepared to trim a MacBook adapter but they're horendously expensive.

In the Yoga 900 it sticks out 0.3mm in the 500 perhaps twice as much - really nothing to worry about and can be in there permanently even when transporting. It's not problem removing it with a finger nail as it has a small recess exactly for that. But yeah a piece of tape on the first time until you're confident does no harm.

Should it be used for school etc. I'd say file the outer edge down to remove the nail recess so you'll have to pry it out using two needles to prevent someone nicking it.

Matchstick
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,341
Message 9 of 11

Really I'm just after something that will allow me to add a 128Gb or so card semi-permanently without it sticking out and getting knocked every time I move.

Quite why Lenovo didn't just put in a MicroSD card slot in the firstplace I'll never know Smiley Wink

McAllan
Token Ring
Views: 3,333
Message 10 of 11

In that case the adaptor is absolutely perfect. Pair it with a high speed card. Yeah I know 128 GB it's difficult to find good high speed cards in that capacity. Perhaps Samsung Pro+ is now available in your area. I use 64 GB cards Samsung Pro 1-2 years old as I had those but still very nice cards.

I see your point but I also think manufacturers today look at it wrongly. They think in a laptop an SD card slot is for transfering your photos from a digicam as that what is was traditionally for when cards where just a few GB or even MB and else people had external drives. In a tablet it's a way of extending storing data instead more hogging of that already hogged anemic eMMC or SSD they usually put in them.

But today how many actually use it for transfering photos? Sure some pro photografers but many ordinary people... No they're better of with a USB card reader and some other methods of storing data. IMHO a 2nd bay of some sort is ideally more preferable but today machines are both getting lighter (thinner!) and manufacturer do everything they can to save a dime so even in large laptops where they easily have the room for extra mini-pci, mSATA, M.2 etc. (and chipsets even supporting it) don't to save the cost of a connector or two. In another brand laptop I have luckily they only spared the optical drive (I'm fine using USB when in the rare even I need it) but luckily they maintained the connector so that I equipped with in extra SSD in a "caddy".

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors