Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pyzang
Paper Tape
Views: 4,529
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 700-11isk Paper Display Hotkey (Fn+Esc) Doesn't Work

Yoga 700-11isk was fully wiped (to remove the factory installation and recovery with bloatware), freshly installed with Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Edition, Redstone 1, Build 14393) Home directly from Microsoft (via Media Creation Tool), and upgraded to Pro.  BIOS was upgraded to v1.09.  Manually installed the following from support:

• Paper Display Hotkey v1.1
  • Lenovo Settings and Lenovo Companion, which required installation of Lenovo System Interface Foundation
  • Lenovo Utility
  • Lenovo Yoga Mode Control
  • Flight Mode
  • WUDF Register
  • Drivers including Intel (Chipset, DPTF, RST, Serial IO), Realtek audio, Synaptics Touchpad

The function keys were configured as F1-F12.  Now paper display works with on-screen display only in Lenovo Settings , by manually toggling the switch.  The hotkey (Fn+Esc, or Esc) does nothing.  All the other hotkeys work (Fn + F1-F12, including flight mode, with OSD).  Yoga mode control works (fold screen over 180 degress to disable touchpad and keyboard). 

One thing I noticed was when I installed Paper Display Hotkey, a CMD window flashed once.  There was no PLHotkeyService in the Windows Services list, or anything with title related to Paper display.  I extracted the driver package and it contained these three files:

• Install.exe
  • DelFile.exe
  • PLHotkeyService\PLHotkeyService.exe
I tried to manually execute Install.exe as administrator, but got no output or service registered.  I tried to manually register PLHotkeyService.exe as a windows service with installutil.exe, but no luck.

Any idea how to fix the Paper Display hotkey?

Thanks.
pyzang
Paper Tape
Views: 4,503
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 700-11isk Paper Display Hotkey (Fn+Esc) Doesn't Work

Solved the problem myself!  Turns out the service is 64-bit while I was trying to register using the 32-bit installutil.exe!

Here is a step-by-step guide:

• Download and extract the Paper Display HotKey package 
    wwpd01ae.exe /VERYSILENT /DIR=.\extract /Extract="YES"
    You will find the following files in the new "extract" subfolder:
    • Install.exe
    • DelFile.exe
    • PLHotkeyService\PLHotkeyService.exe
    Or if you are lazy, just try to install the package (which will fail or you won't be reading this guide), and by default the files are extracted to "c:\drivers\Paper Display Hotkey Installer".
  • Copy "PLHotkeyService.exe" to a location less likely to be deleted by mistake, e.g.,  "c:\Program Files\Lenovo\PaperDisplay\".
  • Register the service using the x64 InstallUtil.exe
    c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe "c:\Program Files\Lenovo\PaperDisplay\PLHotkeyService.exe"
  • Right click on Start button, click "Computer Management", open "Services" under "Services and Applications" in the left console tree, and find the new service named "YogaPLService".
  • Right click on "YogaPLService", click "Properties", make sure "Startup Type" is set to "Automatic" and click the "Start" button to change the service status to "running".
  • The Fn + Esc hotkey is back!Smiley Very Happy
Mal1
Paper Tape
Views: 4,403
Message 3 of 5

This worked for me too.

On this step,

• Register the service using the x64 InstallUtil.exe
    c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe "c:\Program Files\Lenovo\PaperDisplay\PLHotkeyService.exe"

you need to paste the command provided into 'Command Prompt' and hit enter. Depdending on your Windows account settings, you may get an error message saying the proccess failed. This is normally caused by a permissions issue. To get around it, search for 'Command Prompt' from the Start menu, right click on it and select 'run as administrator'. You may have to provide your credentials to proceed.

mikj_
Paper Tape
Views: 4,294
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for the help!

Just so anyone wondering knows that this method also works with the Yoga 700-14isk.

dorepac
What's DOS?
Views: 3,097
Message 5 of 5

I did all as above but still no paper mode on Yoga 700-14ISK. Hotkey doesnt responds. All others work as expected. Could be something with Lenovo bloat MISSING bcause I removed original installation and installed fresh W10?!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors