05-24-2016

US

11 Signins

146 Page Views

• Views: 146
  • Message 1 of 6

Yoga 700-11isk USB ports dead after USB power surge error

2016-10-03, 16:33 PM

I have a relatively new 700-11isk. I plugged in a micro-usb cable last week and instantly an error in Windows 10 popped up and said that it had a USB power surge. I disconected the cable and reset it. I DID check the cable, and found that near the connector, two internal wires had frayed from wear and were shorted.

Now, everytime I turn on my Yoga, and at other random times, I keep getting the USB power surge error, even when nothing is plugged in, and neither the USB 3 or the USB port on the right side work when I plug a device in, BUT they do provide power. Also, the controllers and hub are in device manager, with no error codes or anything. The USB port/Charging port does still work when I plug in a device. 

I have done all the recommendations, including turning it off, popping open the case and disconnecting the battery and holding down the power, and I did a full BIOS reset. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the devices in Windows.

I have never ran into this before. I could do a Windows reset/reinstall,, but i JUST did that a few weeks ago and am in the middle of a project, so really dont want to. I am just trying to figure out if the ports are just locked in windows for safety, or if they are now dead.

I have disabled all the other devices I can find, and nothing has stopped it. Can I possibly trae down which port is causing it specifically? I don't see ANY identifier info in the error, and once I click reset, I can't find any history of the error.

Also, I HAVE noticed that since this happened, my yoga seems to ge a LOT hotter when I am charging it, and battery seems to go quicker, though it could be something else, or just my imagination. Nothing else is giving me issues except my headphone jack, but I checked that and a solder point IS broken, so just using bluetooth headphones from now on. Which internal devices also use USB?

Here are a few screenshots, of Device Manager and the USB hub 3.0 controller power info

Hic Svnt Dracones!
Options

11133 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

6967 Signins

737614 Page Views

• Views: 737614
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 700-11isk USB ports dead after USB power surge error

2016-10-03, 21:59 PM

Hi GodAmongGeeks , 

Greetings. 

As you have tried different recommendation similar to this . Try running further diagnostics test to identify probable failure . Try if changing power option to high performance if this helps. 

If you are planning on a reset ( maybe after your project) this would help isolate hardware against software issue specially using factory reset ( One Key Recovery) deleting the current image and setting then restoring it back to out of the box setting. 

If you continue to have the same error after an OKR , this would simply directly you to probable hardware problem that you need to check with technical support for possible service .

Update us how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

7 Posts

05-24-2016

US

11 Signins

146 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2016-10-04, 2:59 AM
Thanks,

I had figured a reset would be required. The last one I did, was not through onekey directly, I just did a standar windows reset, had to reinstall all the drivers and etc. OneKey will put this back to factory? I am thinking maybe the drivers could be weird, though I went for a month with no issue, and the problem DID appear after a genuine electrical short.

I might as well do it tomorrow, my project is cloud based, so not a huge deal. I will still take any recommendations til then. I find it weird how everything seems fine, but given that I get the error when no device is plugged in, so that I cant remove the device to reset the port through the Windows error, that this is a windows problem, since it specifically said it would lock the ports . Did that make any sense?
Hic Svnt Dracones!
Options

11133 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

6967 Signins

737614 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2016-10-04, 14:15 PM

Hi GodAmongGeeks , 

Greetings. 

What I usually do to isolate hardware failures without the reset is to turn off the laptop and turn on using the novo button (item9 page 55). On the Novo Menu to choose System Recovery. Once on the system Recovery interface to plug in a USB mouse or keyboard and check if the cursor is movable or arrow keys on the keyboard is working (without doing the reset from initial backup as this would launch the factory reset). Restart after checking. 

Notice how audio jack and usb port would be on the same location (item8 page 58) IO Board C Yoga 3-1170 W/FFC/MLR may be having the issue . Tech support would be able to extend a repair for those and do inform then about the heating issue you are experiencing. Battery are easily afftected by heat and can cause faster draining .

Update us how this would go as you don't have to OKR for now.

Regards

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

7 Posts

05-24-2016

US

11 Signins

146 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2016-10-18, 3:34 AM

I reinstalled windows, and I still have the issue. I have also ran th UEFI bas3ed diagnostics, and the ports come out as malfunctioning. They deliver power, but only at 100 ma, while my only working port, the charging combo port puts out 400ma, I learned this after running my Raspberry Pi -Astro Pi off the USB with power diagnostics on it. 

It seems as though a repair is in order, as my display is also cracked, a screw on the front right corner of the display loosened and appears to have fallen out as I closed the lid, cracking the very corner of the right bottom screen. 90% of the touch works, except for that area. I DO have an Amazon insurance/repair policy, but I have to ship this in, and can not be away from my system at the moment. I am thinking about just replacing my entire system at this point. 

Does anyone know if a new yoga is slated to come out anytime soon? Trying to decide if I should but a current model, or wait a short time for the newest one to come out.

Hic Svnt Dracones!
Options

11133 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

6967 Signins

737614 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2016-10-18, 13:47 PM

Hi GodAmongGeeks , 

Greetings. 

As previouslt mentioned :

Notice how audio jack and usb port would be on the same location (item8 page 58) IO Board C Yoga 3-1170 W/FFC/MLR may be having the issue . Tech support would be able to extend a repair for those and do inform then about the heating issue you are experiencing. 

You can take the current service package you have for needed repair service to include the LCD and screw issue that you also had. 

Coming soon from the Yoga line are Yoga-910 and Yoga book depending on marketing location that you can check with the sales team +44 1256 741677 

Regards

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete