cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DEFIANTLY
Paper Tape
Views: 3,758
Message 1 of 11

Yoga 710 15" Lid Closes crooked/out of alignment.

Hi everyone,

New Lenovo Yoga 710 15" owner here.  I absoluteley love this laptop, but when I close the lid, it's doesn't quite line up with the bottom portion of the laptop.  When closed, the top (lid) is crooked. 

This hinges look ok to me.  When I had the laptop open to upgrade the RAM I even inspected them closer and I don't see an issue there.

Anyone else with a 710 having this issue?  Is there a fix?

Thanks!

Conviction
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,565
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga 710 15" Lid Closes crooked/out of alignment.

I have noticed the same thing with my computer as well. I also noticed that in Best Buys reviews there are several people who have notcied the same thing. In addition to this, my trackpad buttons do not work all of the time. Sometimes I need to tip the computer in order to get it to work properly.

tkant81
What's DOS?
Views: 3,462
Message 3 of 11

I just got a new one and i noticed it too and so got another replacement which was much better than 1st one but still you notice that ever ever small slight off the edges but i could have worked with but the power button had issues to went to exachange it again at best buy and then i opened the 3rd one there before i came home and there was the hinge issue again where the top part did not line up with the bottom part with good noticiable difference.

my first worked perfectly without any problem but still closing it crooked kinda made me nervous. Did you guys find any solutions ??

Can a lenonvo rep help with this. I love this computer

Rollinthunder9
What's DOS?
Views: 3,398
Message 4 of 11

Hey guys,

Just bought this laptop today, specifically the i7 4k version. I have the same issue, and upon investigating the hinge I found that the right side only connects on three points, with the top left corner unconnected. This means that the lid is unevenly connected to the rest of the laptop. I think this may be the cause, and I called my local best buy, who confirmed the same issue on both versions of display models. I'm sure if you looked at yours you'd see the same thing. Anyways, I think the issue is caused by a deliberate design choice, instead of manufacturing error. Hope this helps.

MatthewD29
Paper Tape
Views: 3,191
Message 5 of 11

Let me start by saying that I love this laptop.  I bought a Yoga 710 15" two months ago and I was extremely happy.  I use it for work and personal and it was perfect, even great going into tablet mode when I was showing documents to clients.  Then I was opening it like I normally did every day and I heard this loud cracking noise and saw in horror as the screen all around the right hinge was cracking and the screen was physically pulling away from the place where it was attached to the hinge.

I was furious as nothing inappropriate was done to the laptop and yet now the screen was cracked.  I'm so happy I found this post as I couldn't figure out what had happened but thanks to Rollinthunder9 I now understand and want to warn everyone and get some explanation from Lenovo.  My Yoga 710 also does not have a hinge connecting anything on the upper left corner of the right side hinge, leaving it connected at only three points.  As I am a righty, I was usually opening my laptop with my right hand by pulling up on what would be the eventual upper right corner of the screen (once opened).  If you can picture the torque that would be placed by lifting the screen up from that point while not having a screw or connection in the upper left corner of the right hinge, eventually it just flexed too much and cracked. 

Can someone who is more mechanically inclined than me (or a representative of Lenovo) please make me understand why there are not 4 hinge attachments on the right side hinge as there are on the left side hinge?  Also, please let me know how many other people this must be happening to on a daily basis?

For everyone else I recommend you open the laptop slowly from the middle or evenly on both sides if you want to avoid this problem.

Arvojonas
SCSI Port
Views: 3,153
Message 6 of 11

Yoga 710 14"IKB Here and I can relate to your hinges Smiley Very Happy My lid tints to the left when closed, exposing a small part of the aluminium of the bottom on the right side and small part of the screen is uncovered on the left. I don't mind it because my 1st yoga 710IKB had a horrible light bleed from every corner giving me a bad headache at dark rooms.  

ixhunter
What's DOS?
Views: 2,760
Message 7 of 11

This is exactly what is happening with mine. I have had since last December, have done nothing to it at all and yesterday I suddenlly noticed that it wouldn't close properly and the hinge on the right side is forcing the screen apart. If I close it without forcing it, there is a wide gap. Can someone from Lenovo help with this?  This is maddening, and it's going to break the screen.

Rickster52
Paper Tape
Views: 2,232
Message 8 of 11

My hinge broke and is very expensive to fix. Under warranty but they will not fix it.
Wuufer001
What's DOS?
Views: 1,894
Message 9 of 11

I just puchased the yoga 720 15" with the 4k display from best buy. The screen part when closed forms like an arch, the center portion is not closing, leaving a gap. as for the hinges part like some have mentioned i have not seen any problem on mine. i don't know if i want to take it back to best buy to exchange as the setup and update of the windows took so long.  the gap is not bothering me much as this is more of a work laptop with the screen open 90% of the time but just want to make sure it will not worsen or prone to more damage in the future

Rickster52
Paper Tape
Views: 1,870
Message 10 of 11

My Lenovo yoga 710 hinge on the right side broke and had to be replaced within the first 10 months. Let Novo told me that the warranty would not hold up. They checked with their engineers and the engineers said this was not a defect yet I told them that the multiple occasions on the websites that I love that I found multiple problems with the hinges

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors