cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jakstra
What's DOS?
Views: 188
Message 1 of 2

Yoga 710-15IKB screen not lighting up, but touchscreen still works when duplicated on 2nd monitor

It's hard to pinpoint when/ how this started. Occasionally the screen wouldn't turn on. Laptop would otherwise boot normally. At first I thought it was related to coming out of sleep, but then one day I noticed the display would work by pressing (applying pressure) to the lower right portion of the screen (above the hinge). So for a few months I did this whenever it happened. Eventually I had to do it every time I turned it on. 

This is a touchscreen, but the pressing I applied seemed to be affecting a connection behind the screen. Sometimes I needed to apply decent pressure (actually flexing the screen some), and sometimes it took a couple tries to find the right spot to apply it. 

Eventually this stopped working altogether, and have resorted to using a 2nd monitor. I started researching the issue again, and have not found much related to my exact issue. The interesting thing is I realized that the touchscreen is still functioning. I had set the display to duplicate, and noticed I can still perform touch functions on the laptop screen that showed up on the 2nd monitor. 

I watched a screen replacement vid for this model to try and understand what's behind this screen. I'm hoping it may be a simple fix with a bad connection going on. It appears all the main connections are at the bottom center of the screen. Nothing near the spot I had to press to get it to work, but maybe I was still flexing enough in that area to affect the connections at the center. 

I can't recall any serious drops or impacts that may have caused this. I read a lot about issues with a bios update causing black screens, but that doesn't appear to be the issue here. I did have a spill on the keyboard at one point (coffee), but it didn't seem to impact anything but some sticky keys. I believe this happened before this issue started, but I never connected the 2, so there must of been some time between the spill and the screen problem starting. 

Before I get into opening this up to assess more does anyone have any advice? Anything else I should do before opening? When I do open, best place to look? Is there a connection that only impacts the light vs the function of the touchscreen? Or is there something related to the board itself I should look at/ test to see if it's more related to that? I leaning toward something on the screen side as the pressure I applied had an immediate impact to make the screen come on.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 150
Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga 710-15IKB screen not lighting up, but touchscreen still works when monitor

Hi jakstra!

Welcome to the community forums.

Sorry to hear what happen to your Yoga 710 laptop. Since you mentioned that the screen goes back when you apply pressure or pressing the lower right hand portion of the screen, the screen will work. It's a possible hardware issue with the LCD Cable or the LCD screen itself and it needs repair. If the laptop is still under warranty, we recommend you to get in touch with our Lenovo US Support Team to request for a repair by calling 877-453-6686 or you can schedule a callback from here https://lnv.gy/2PUECv1.

Let us know if there is anything we can assist you

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors