Options

7 Posts

10-24-2017

US

9 Signins

188 Page Views

• Views: 188
  • Message 1 of 9

Yoga 710-15ISK ideapad 80U0 battery bulge?

2020-08-22, 17:35 PM

I have a Yoga 710-15ISK ideapad 80U0, bought it new 4 years ago.  The panel that "contains" the keyboard and touchpad is bulging in the lower left of the laptop.  Is this the battery?  

I operate this laptop like a desktop; I use an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor, so the charger is always plugged in and the lid is always closed. I presume this Yoga has power management that controls battery charging so it isn't overcharged.

Yesterday I had to take the Yoga with me somewhere, and I noticed that the cover was no longer closing all the way, due to the aforementioned bulge. The bottom edge of the touchpad was higher than the panel. While the keyboard and moving the mouse with the touchpad still worked, the left and right buttons on the touchpad no longer work, I'm presuming it's because its contacts aren't contacting.   It seems to work fine on battery power (for now).

If I remove the battery and don't replace it with another battery, will the Yoga still operate with the charger plugged in?

Is 4 years considered to be a fairly good lifespan for laptop batteries? I don't play games nor do any video editing. I watch videos and I keep a ton of tabs open in my browser, and task manager tends to show CPU in the high range. But, the Yoga has battery management and I keep it plugged in all the time, so I wouldn't think that the battery would be affected.

(Also, a bit off topic, but is there a way to limit searching in these community forums to just one forum?  I tried searching, but 10000+ search results included all forums.)

Solved! See the solution
Options

3396 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12387 Signins

178510 Page Views

• Views: 178510
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:Yoga 710-15ISK ideapad 80U0 battery bulge?

2020-08-22, 20:21 PM

@ Dan400Man wrote:

I have a Yoga 710-15ISK ideapad 80U0, bought it new 4 years ago.  The panel that "contains" the keyboard and touchpad is bulging in the lower left of the laptop.  Is this the battery?  

I operate this laptop like a desktop; I use an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor, so the charger is always plugged in and the lid is always closed. I presume this Yoga has power management that controls battery charging so it isn't overcharged.

Ideally you should run in "Conservation Mode." This is a setting in Lenovo Vantage that keeps the battery charged between a low of 60% and a high of 65%. It's designed to maximize battery life when the system runs mostly on AC.

Yesterday I had to take the Yoga with me somewhere, and I noticed that the cover was no longer closing all the way, due to the aforementioned bulge. The bottom edge of the touchpad was higher than the panel. While the keyboard and moving the mouse with the touchpad still worked, the left and right buttons on the touchpad no longer work, I'm presuming it's because its contacts aren't contacting.   It seems to work fine on battery power (for now).

If the bulge is due to the battery bulging then this is a safety issue. The battery has become defective and is more likely to overheat and possibly melt the innards of your system or even catch fire.

If I remove the battery and don't replace it with another battery, will the Yoga still operate with the charger plugged in?

It should. Keep in mind that you can't update BIOS unless the system is plugged into AC and has a fully charged battery installed.

Is 4 years considered to be a fairly good lifespan for laptop batteries?

Yes, especially if the system is mostly on AC power and the battery is always charged to 100%.

(Also, a bit off topic, but is there a way to limit searching in these community forums to just one forum?  I tried searching, but 10000+ search results included all forums.)

I find that Google Search using the site: parameter (see Refine web searches - Google Search Help) does a better job of searching most forums than their built-in search function.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

7 Posts

10-24-2017

US

9 Signins

188 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2020-08-23, 3:25 AM

Thank you hausman! Great info!

I appreciate the tip on Conservation mode.  Too bad Lenovo Vantage never suggested that to me.  

Pulled the battery out.  I think it's cooked.  Laptop still works.  Touchpad's left and right mouse buttons work.  However, external display no longer works.  Is it possible that this requires the battery to be installed?  I don't want to put this one back in to test it.

I appreciate the tip on Conservation mode.  Too bad Lenovo Vantage never suggested that to me.  

Any tips on sources for reliable replacement batteries?  Lenovo has exactly one part available for my model, LCD panel tape. 

Options

3396 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12387 Signins

178510 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2020-08-23, 12:06 PM

@ Dan400Man wrote:

However, external display no longer works.  Is it possible that this requires the battery to be installed?  I don't want to put this one back in to test it.

The battery shouldn't affect that. I would check that all connections are seated properly. It's possible something got dislodged, either by the bulge or in the process of removing the battery.

Any tips on sources for reliable replacement batteries? 

If Lenovo doesn't stock this, try an authorized reseller. Be careful with sites like Amazon and eBay. They tend to carry a lot of fake batteries. Make sure you can return the battery if it doesn't hold a charge. 

Options

6 Posts

03-26-2016

UK

10 Signins

150 Page Views

• Views: 150
  • Message 5 of 9

2020-08-23, 14:32 PM

Gasses release from cells and collect in the sealed pouch. The gasses are is normally harmless air.

Each time I see these swollen pouches I am tempted to let the air out and reseal it with tape, but others tell me this is exceedingly dangerous thing to do.

• Apparently it could blow up.
  • The wrapping is a safety barrier, and compromising the barrier creates a threat in continued use.

I am led to believe many of the fake batteries on Amazon/Ebay are in fact used batteries with the outer shielding replaced - that could explain why they are cheap.

Options

7 Posts

10-24-2017

US

9 Signins

188 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2020-08-24, 15:20 PM

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places, but the only hits I get for "lenovo authorized resellers" are consulting companies that primarily service businesses and that don't touch "consumer" grade devices like the Yoga.

Does anyone know whether lenovopartnernetwork.com is legit?

Options

3396 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12387 Signins

178510 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2020-08-24, 16:19 PM

@ Dan400Man wrote:

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places, but the only hits I get for "lenovo authorized resellers" are consulting companies that primarily service businesses and that don't touch "consumer" grade devices like the Yoga.

Does anyone know whether lenovopartnernetwork.com is legit?

Being in Canada I'm at a disadvantage to suggest options available in the US. I note that both Best Buy and Staples sell Yoga and other Lenovo models. Perhaps they can order a replacement battery or offer a reputable alternative like a company that refurbishes batteries.

From what I can see lenovopartnernetwork.com seems legit. I note that at the bottom of their home page they list the large US distributors like Ingram and TechData.

Also re its legitimacy, the Whois Record for LenovoPartnerNetwork.com says the registrant is Lenovo Singapore Pte Ltd.

Options

7 Posts

10-24-2017

US

9 Signins

188 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2020-10-06, 23:38 PM

For others' reference, in case someone else runs into the same issue.

lenovopartnernetwork.com is a legitimate Lenovo website.   It is out of date.  Several local numbers I called were out of service and googling the companies seemed to indicate that many had gone out of business long ago.  A few that did answer my call did not seem enthused with helping a home consumer find a replacement battery; I presume that these were partners that only want to work with other businesses that deal in volume.  I finally did find a Lenovo partner about 40 miles from here that was happy to help me and found a Lenovo battery.  It cost me ~$120 (including shipping) vs. ~$80 cheap knockoffs on Amazon or eBay, so it was worth it to me.  Got it installed and it works great.

BTW, the monitor issue I mentioned early on was the result of a bad HDMI cable.  Replaced it and I was back in business.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Options

7 Posts

10-24-2017

US

9 Signins

188 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2020-10-06, 23:45 PM
One other thing. Per hausman's advice, I wanted to configure battery charging to "Conservation Mode", especially since I rarely use my Yoga on battery. (See hausman's comment above.) I was unable to find it in Windows' System Settings, but I did find it and set it in the Lenovo Vantage app. Hopefully, the new battery will last a lot longer.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete